photos are tripled

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
b.diddy, I did post 1 screen shot of the time folder. I guess you can only have 1 attachment per post cause that's all it took. what shot do you need?

You had originally posted the screenshot as a different thread -- I just merged that thread into this one.

I don't think that's an actual folder -- I think it's just a sorting option, as I had mentioned before. What app are you in that shows this Time option? Is it the stock Gallery app, or the Google Photos app?

Nola Barrett

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
when I open gallery it has my Picasa albums and clicking the 3 lines on top, puts me into the time folder. yes, I started a new thread so I could attach the screen shot. that's is what I was told i needed to do. when I posted the new thread, I attached 4 shots at each step, but only the last one was there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to confirm -- the name of the app you're opening is Gallery, correct? I don't think you can get rid of the Time view, because that's just a sorting option. It's not a separate folder.

Getting back to the other issue of duplicate photos -- pick a pair of those duplicated photos, and see if neither of them allow you to delete, or if only one of them allows you to delete. If only one of them allows you to delete, that means that's the one that's saved locally to the phone. The one you can't delete is the one that's in the cloud.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The Time feature in Samsung galleries isn't actually a doubling of the picture. It's a different view. The gallery can be viewed as Time, Albums, and depending on the version of the app, there are also Stories, Locations, etc.

The Time feature simply shows all the pictures in chronological order of taking/download to phone. It's not a doubling of the photos.

Nola Barrett

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
You say that it is not doubling the photos, is just a different way to view them. If you look at the screen shot you can see that alot of the photos are doubled. Now some are tripled. There are going on 3000 now. The option in the drop window for these are, a sideshow. Or details. If I hold down on a photo that group all get a box on it to check. I did that and then there was the option to delete, but it says that they are unsupported files. That just happened a couple hours ago, so that is something different. I think if I put this in the wrong spot. If it is can you please share it with b.diddy, thank you

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You say that it is not doubling the photos, is just a different way to view them. If you look at the screen shot you can see that alot of the photos are doubled. Now some are tripled. There are going on 3000 now. The option in the drop window for these are, a sideshow. Or details. If I hold down on a photo that group all get a box on it to check. I did that and then there was the option to delete, but it says that they are unsupported files. That just happened a couple hours ago, so that is something different. I think if I put this in the wrong spot. If it is can you please share it with b.diddy, thank you
Your screenshot isn't loading for me so I was going by descriptions. Could you try to upload again?

Nola Barrett

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
I don't know how to, Guytronic sent me a link to read on how to attach but I had to start a new thread. so that why there was a new thread. but i will go back to that and see if it tells how to upload. I'd rather do that with all the screen shots instead of part of what
the last one. do you know how? maybe you can just tell me easier than me trying to figure it out. I know how to upload and download things, but I have to have a button to push to say start upload. lol. I'll check it out

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Don't long-press a photo -- just tap it once to make it fullscreen, then look for a Delete button. It might be a trash can icon that's immediately visible, or you might have to tap the screen again to get the Delete button, or you might have to tap the Menu button. Now, compare two of the duplicate photos -- do both of them give you a Delete button?

I'd like to figure out if we can turn off the syncing of your cloud photos (Picasa/Google Photos) to your stock Gallery app. Go to your System Settings, tap Accounts, then Google, and show us a screenshot of what sync items show up there. (You might have to take two screenshots if you have to scroll down to see the whole list.) Also select your Samsung account and show us a screenshot of those sync items. In case you need a refresher on how to attach images to a post, see this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html. It works best if you use the main forum site on your desktop browser, not the mobile Android Central app.

Nola Barrett

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
yes. it does give me an option to delete photos in the time rime part, but when I click on the duplicates it says they are unsupported files and doesn't do anything. but I can share to .....messenger, upload to Google photo save to drive, android beam or Google plus. which one will get to my account with you guys.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
where do I do that at? if I do that, I won't lose any photos will i?
No. It only clears app data like thumbnails. The photos themselves aren't app data. Just go to settings>apps>look for gallery>open it>clear data.

I do this on my pre marshmallow devices after factory resets and I forget to turn off Picasa sync immediately. I turn off the sync and after data clear, synced photos are gone and my own photos are un touched.

Still I haven't had an S5, so just back the photos up just in case.

Nola Barrett

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
okay, yes I have cleared cache and data, which I usually never do because it does say when you clear the data, that it clears the application files, setting, account and database, etc. I thought that was something I needed. if it gives me a warning, I don't do it. so should I do that on all my apps? also I still have a lot of screen shots that I need to upload in here. they are on 1 drive and can be uploaded. but I'm not sure if it can go from my drive to this forum. do you or b.diddy know?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Clearing the app cache/data for the Gallery app will not delete your actual photo files. It will clear out the image database that the system creates for the Gallery app (by scanning all storage areas of the phone for image files to add to the database), but then once you reopen the Gallery app, the database will rebuild. If your Gallery app (or the phone itself) isn't set to sync to your Picasa/Google Photos in the cloud, then the database should regenerate with only your locally saved photos showing.

But this assumes your phone is not syncing to your Picasa/Google Photos in the cloud. This is why I'd like to see your sync settings in the System Settings>Accounts menu. You should be able to attach photos to a post in this thread using the steps I linked previously. If your screenshots are saved to OneDrive in the cloud, then I suggest that you download those screenshot images to your computer and attach them using the desktop forums website.

Your mention of OneDrive raises another possibility that I don't have direct experience with -- are you using a Sync Photos to OneDrive option? If so, that might be the culprit as well.

One easy way to tell if your phone is syncing photos to Google Photos is to go to photos.google.com on your web browser and see if those duplicated photos are there.

Nola Barrett

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
they aren't duplicating in Google photos, just in time. I just got 1 drive and that is the only photos it has, the screen shots I wanted to post here. I will go to the pc website to try to do this and will let you know. after you see the step by step screenshots that I have taken and then see the time photos, you will have a better understanding of what I'm trying to say. I'll do that right now.

Nola Barrett

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
b.diddy chanchan05 there are a lot of these and I don't know how to make small. But I inserted image cause I don't see where to insert an attachment. I inserted them, I first tapped on Gallery and it opened up to the one thing saying Picassa and tapped on it to show how those pictures are. then I tapped the 3 lines and showed you the options of albums and time, the ones after that are the time photos and they just keep getting more and more, there are over 2 thousand so I didn't get them all.View attachment 279709View attachment 279710View attachment 279711View attachment 279712 and I also uploaded screen shots of what is synced.
Screenshot_2018-02-24-15-57-14.jpgScreenshot_2018-02-24-15-47-46.jpgScreenshot_2018-02-24-15-48-40.jpgScreenshot_2018-02-24-15-48-40.jpgScreenshot_2018-02-24-15-48-40.jpgScreenshot_2018-02-24-15-49-07.jpgScreenshot_2018-02-24-15-50-39.jpgScreenshot_2018-02-24-15-50-39.jpgScreenshot_2018-02-24-15-54-10.jpgScreenshot_2018-02-24-15-54-10.jpg
finally, I feel relieved somehow and still have the time thing. haha

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-24-15-53-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-02-24-15-53-32.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 4
  • punkybunge1.JPG
    punkybunge1.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 2
  • punkybunge2.JPG
    punkybunge2.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 2
  • punkybunge3.JPG
    punkybunge3.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 2
  • punkybunge4.JPG
    punkybunge4.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:

Nola Barrett

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
these didn't show up like I intended them to but hopefully by my description of events, you can figure it out. Also, the 3 that are there with Picasa on the top, are not doubled on my phone. I think I clicked the button more than once cause I expected to see something appear after clicking the 1st time. I hope you can make some kind of sense out of this. Ya'll help with pc,s also? lol

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, THAT'S what I wanted to see. In the Sync Settings, uncheck Sync Picasa Web Albums. After you do that, if you still see the duplicates, then clear the app cache/data again from the Gallery app as previously described. Now see if the duplicates are still there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogerinsg99