Pixel 2 connections to multiple Bluetooth devices

Zdenek Foukal

May 15, 2019
Visit site
Google Pixel or Pixel 2 and multiple Bluetooth (BT) devices, all paired and on. First BT is hands-free headset and second is car stereo. Both paired and on.

Situation: I am having an ongoing call on my hands-free headset and go towards my car which is running (and BT on). When I get close to car BT range close enough, the voice automatically transfers to my car (without asking me anything). This is happening with all other BT devices that come within the range and active, most recently connected device is made always active. This is already annoying, but that is not all.

When I get out of the range of my car, the BT signal is lost, but the handsfree (previously active BT) is not made active, despite still connected. On top any ongoing calls in some applications (such as WhatsApp) are terminated with active BT signal lost.

This is happening since Jan’18, sending messages to Google Pixel helpdesk quarterly since then, no fix, no response (other that I should unpair the devices!!!!). Tried BT prioritization apps, but those just fail miserably first time new device comes into range.

Any idea? Happy to help testing.
Thanks,
Zdenek

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
One thing to look at is to see if you can turn off the 'automatically connect' setting in your car - that way YOU can choose if/when/where you switch between the headset and the car. Obviously it would be ideal if it all just worked automagically but it sounds like that's not the case for some reason.
Sounds like part of the problem is that your headset is not automatically reconnecting when you get out of range of the car; I'd have to blame that on the headset, not the car.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Set the headset for phone enabled, media disabled, and the car connection for phone disabled and media enabled? Or do you want to use the car audio for calls when you're in the car? (Which is what it's doing.)

As far as the failure to reconnect when you leave the car, I'd call Google and see if customer support can get anything from their tech support (it's almost impossible to get them to connect the customer to tech support directly) that would make it reconnect (some setting, maybe), or that would go into either Q or R as a fix that no one's brought up yet.