Pixel 2 Trade-In Nightmare - Buyers Beware!!!

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I just got the e-mail telling me they are giving me the full credit they offered of $155. Smooth and easy. While I might have done better selling it privately, I prefer not having to deal with individual people. You never know when one might turn out to be a criminal or a nutjob (or both!).

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
10/30: Device confirmed delivered to Google by USPS. Per outlined process at time of trade-in, should be completed within 3 business days; per instructions in trade-in kit, should be completed within 5 days (presumably calendar).

11/30: Email from Google noting delay and committing to assessment within 10-15 days. This is the sole communication I have seen from Google proactively with regards to my trade-in. They have promised, and failed, to follow up on a ticket I had put in regarding it on 4 separate occasions so far.

Today is day 15, marking 45 days from their receipt of my trade-in. I will be pleasantly surprised if they complete it, but am not expecting it, nor am I expecting an email detailing further delay, as simple a courtesy as that would be.

Google's terms in regards to the trade-in grant them pretty solid legal immunity from any issues that arise with the trade-in, but their complete apathy to our plight is very uninviting in terms of maintaining loyalty in the future. While I understand there is a 3rd party managing that process, Google should take at least the level of ownership of the issue to offer timely updates. Given that folks have reported here sending their devices in 2-3 weeks later than mine was sent and having already had their refunds processed, I'm growing concerned that mine may have been 'lost' at the facility.

bigbearballs

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Is it normal to have a store credit before they credit the money back to your cc? I got 400 for my pixel but nothing back on my cc and a Google store credit of 400?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Put my Pixel in the mail on Dec 8th, arrived/delivered on the 11th, and refund as quoted ($360) was credited today (16th).

bigbearballs

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Is it normal to have a store credit before they credit the money back to your cc? I got 400 for my pixel but nothing back on my cc and a Google store credit of 400?
Since I returned my original pixel XL 2, they gave me Google store credit instead of a refund back to my cc, which is bs. I chatted and called with several csrs and they wouldn't budge. So now, I'm going to return my second pixel XL 2 and buy a third one with my Google store credit. This is so dumb. The only reason I started this return process was to get the $100 Google store credit they were offering after I bought my first pixel XL 2.

Derek_B

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, I tried to take the easy way to deal with my Nexus 6P and use the trade-in service when I bought my Pixel 2 XL. The POS company Google is using is giving me $15.20 instead of $151 because: 1) It wasn't factory reset (B.S., it was.) and 2) it was received more than 30 days after I initiated the trade-in (which is not even the current policy, it's now 30 days after you receive the new phone, mine was sent in well within this timeframe.)

I contacted Google customer support, they escalated the issue and gave me a case number and promised me a response within 48-72 hours. If I don't receive what was quoted for my phone, I'll cancel Google Protect to make up the difference. Also, I will never do a trade-in through Google again. Lesson learned, I guess.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The POS company Google is using is giving me $15.20 instead of $151 because: ... 2) it was received more than 30 days after I initiated the trade-in (which is not even the current policy, it's now 30 days after you receive the new phone, mine was sent in well within this timeframe.)

This probably doesn't alter what is the likely fact that you should have been eligible, but for clarification it's actually "valid for 30 days from device shipment," not receipt.

I would at least consider dropping Google Protect regardless, as it lost a lot of its value anyway, with Google having extended the device warranty to a full 2 years.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I received my Panda Pixel 2 XL 128 GB about a week and a half ago - I had ordered on 10/10, then waited almost two months to receive it. I used it for a few days to make sure it was functioning properly, then I sent my Pixel XL in last Monday (12/11) for the trade-in program. They received my phone in Atlanta on Thursday, and I got the email from Google today that my phone was received and I would receive the $410 trade-in credit within 2-5 days. Process was reasonably painless from my perspective, at least compared to other stories I've read here.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I received my Panda Pixel 2 XL 128 GB about a week and a half ago - I had ordered on 10/10, then waited almost two months to receive it. I used it for a few days to make sure it was functioning properly, then I sent my Pixel XL in last Monday (12/11) for the trade-in program. They received my phone in Atlanta on Thursday, and I got the email from Google today that my phone was received and I would receive the $410 trade-in credit within 2-5 days. Process was reasonably painless from my perspective, at least compared to other stories I've read here.

Did yours go to their receiving facility on Macarther Blvd in Atlanta? I was thinking that possibly, if they have more than one facility for these, the one I sent to was just crazy behind the others, but if yours went to the same then it sounds like they may have just lost mine or something.

Derek_B

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
This probably doesn't alter what is the likely fact that you should have been eligible, but for clarification it's actually "valid for 30 days from device shipment," not receipt.

Thanks for the clarification. I was looking up the policy on the Google store website and noticed that earlier today myself.

That only changes the math by two days though, still not enough to push it outside of 30 days. The new phone shipped 10/23, they received my trade-in on 11/9.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Did yours go to their receiving facility on Macarther Blvd in Atlanta? I was thinking that possibly, if they have more than one facility for these, the one I sent to was just crazy behind the others, but if yours went to the same then it sounds like they may have just lost mine or something.

Yes - it did. I was surprised how quickly they processed it, based on the stories I've seen here.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I think they were backlogged at the beginning and now it's smoothing out.

That should be the case, but one would suspect that they would still process them in the order in which they were received. Google has become nonresponsive to my inquiry, seemingly choosing to neither take any ownership of the issue nor to provide me information on the 3rd party so I can escalate through them. At 50 days, with others having seen process since, I suspect mine may have become 'missing' after it was received, such that it will never move forward in the process, and am concerned as to what recourse I have if Google chooses not to cooperate in providing me at least a point of contact with their business partner.

Love the 2 XL, haven't had any of the problems others have mentioned from time to time, but this is really souring me on Google - even if it's just a business partner, their total apathy about the quality of service provided by that partner is inexcusable.

tuffy54

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site

This happened to me as well. I got the quoted $155 for my 6p as store credit rather than getting the money on my card. After digging I realized it was because on announcement day I ordered a Pixel 2, then canceled that order and switched to the 2 XL. They sent me only one trade-in kit, which I later learned was for the canceled order. I sent in my mint 6p with the only kit available. They tied it to the canceled order and refused to actually give me my money or return my phone. I would not have traded it for store credit.

Countless emails and phone calls later their so called customer service still refuses to do the right thing while simultaneously acknowledging that the error is on their end and not mine. Google does many things well, but customer service is absolutely not one of them.

bigbearballs

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me as well. I got the quoted $155 for my 6p as store credit rather than getting the money on my card. After digging I realized it was because on announcement day I ordered a Pixel 2, then canceled that order and switched to the 2 XL. They sent me only one trade-in kit, which I later learned was for the canceled order. I sent in my mint 6p with the only kit available. They tied it to the canceled order and refused to actually give me my money or return my phone. I would not have traded it for store credit.

Countless emails and phone calls later their so called customer service still refuses to do the right thing while simultaneously acknowledging that the error is on their end and not mine. Google does many things well, but customer service is absolutely not one of them.
Same thing happened to me, return your current pixel, buy a new one with your credit and get an extra $75 off. If they won't do the right thing, then I don't mind screwing them on shipping.

AgentRedlum

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
They screwed me! Gave me a $50 credit for a pixel XL, which they incorrectly assessed as a Nexus 5x! should have been a $410 credit. frickin clowns. I swear

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping you remembered to take photos and a video. I took many and even did a video of me resetting the Pixel XL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid