Play Store (and Uber Eats) constantly causing phone crashes

enltguy

May 20, 2020
Visit site
I've scoured the web over months off and on, and am almost at the point I'm just going to buy a new phone, but unsure what the core issue is...

I have two major hassles with my phone, currently. One is, when I connect in the mornings (I put it in Airplane Mode overnight to save battery), it almost instantly freezes up after connecting. I know it's using the signal to search for updates, and certain processes are probably restarting, but the fact it noticeably causes my phone to be nearly inoperable for up to a minute or two after connecting gives me pause - this didn't use to happen, at least not nearly as dramatically. Any touch functionality lags or doesn't work properly, animations are horrible (sliding screens), and apps won't open, or take forever to load.

Then comes the inevitable Play Store notification for updates. A lot of times clicking on this loads the Play Store, but it searches for updates FOREVER unless stopped. I will often end task, clear cache, and start again, but this can happen as many as three times before it actually recognizes available updates and let's me update apps. Then I will start to run updates, and basically anything else on the phone becomes unusable until updates have been installed. Often, the app will freeze or crash somewhere in this process (could be anywhere).

On a side note, I've noticed Uber Eats often crashes, freezes, or has trouble connecting (even when any other app using wifi works just fine).

All of this is done over wifi, in general, I am not trying to use my regular phone signal. Wifi signal is not the issue.

It's an older phone (Moto G5 Plus) I've had for years, so if it's time to buy a new one, so be it, but this phone has held up so well, and I don't replace electronics unless it's really necessary. I haven't budgeted for a new phone, so hoping there is a fix for this that doesn't involve a garbage bin.

Thank you!

enltguy

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Very difficult to determine if Safe Mode has helped, as it disables other apps, and I most notice the Play Store issue as it affects the use of other apps (crashes them), or freezes itself. It did not freeze in Safe Mode (it crashed itself just before I tried booting to Safe Mode), but it did experience the same annoying lag checking for updates (as in, it just keeps searching for updates into perpetual infinity until I close it). So I swiped closed the app as it wasn't loading, and uninstalled all updates to take Play Store back to basics. When I opened it again and went to update apps, it went more smoothly.

So... this is not an experiment that isolated any factors, and it's difficult to say what's what, but it seems to me, from this one trial, that it is related to Play Store app, itself, and that it may have something to do with updates to the Play Store...

Any chance there is something about the newest Play Store version and my phone that don't work well together due to the age of the phone? It's running Android 8.1 and won't let me further upgrade from the device.

Thank you!

P.S. Updates are taking forever right now, not sure if that's related to Safe Mode.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you already tried clearing the app cache/data for both the Play Store app and the Download Manager app? To find the latter, you have to go to Settings>Apps then tap Menu>Show System.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter