Play store opens randomly to 'item not found/retry' screen

dustinfrank

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
As the title says, my play store app is now opening randomly and interrupting whatever i'm trying to open but not to a specific app or anything. Its just opening to an "item not found / retry" page. Seems to be since this latest security patch from VZW over the weekend. I've cleared cache and data from the play store app as well as play services.

Anyone else having this issue and/or found a solution? Its super annoying.

Thanks!
Murph

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would suspect some bit of adware that got installed alongside some other app, that perhaps got partially zapped by that security update (since it's not opening to any particular app). You may have to uninstall apps one by one until that goes away.

dustinfrank

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Me too, diddy, but I downloaded the AVG product and the scan turned up nothing. I ended up uninstalling updates to the play store and that has stopped the issue. Must have also been that new play store update not playing nice as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how well any antivirus app detects adware, since it's technically not malware. But glad you got it to stop!

dustinfrank

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Wellllll, at least for a little while....its at it again... Do you recommend a particular adware scanner? Might as well try that.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
What about booting your phone in safe mode? This way you can see if there's a problem with your system (maybe the recent update) or a conflict with a third party app that you downloaded.

userGaxaxyS6

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Since yesterday it's happening to my device also. Galaxy S6

I doubt it can be some lousy malware I have installed in it, because I hardly ever install any app at all (and I only use the "mainstream/trustworthy" apps).

It seems to be a "new" problem. If many other users do report it, I hope a solution will be found soon, because it is reaaaaly boring.

=)

dankumm

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same issue on my Verizon S6! It appears to be random and happens when I first reboot, let the phone sit there, if I use chrome, weather app, any app etc etc. It can do this in spurts one time after the other for two minutes or it could go 30 minutes between this occurring. I've tried several fixes like uninstalling samsung pay (since it was tues and im on verizon and timing was conincidental), clearing google play cache and data, disabling google play, installing various ad aware virus scanners (like avast avg ad aware cleaner etc) that never found an issue etc etc. One time I restarted best buy app came up and gave me a google play services error notification and I finally thought I had the culprit so I uninstalled it and rebooted..... same error came up upon restart gah!

Also I'm not completely inclined to think its related to the update as I think I got that on Sunday maybe and this only started tuesday night for me. I was thinking it had something to do with Samsung pay purely because of the timing but have not been able to prove that. So dang annoying!!!

dustinfrank

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
SOO annoying! It was happening most often to me when in Clash of Clans (don't hate). I finally uninstalled and reinstalled....it was peaceful for maybe 15-20 minutes, then its back.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with dumpedduce--at this point, it might be best to go through the hassle of a factory reset. Backup or sync all of your data first, then do the factory reset. After finishing the Setup Wizard, go immediately to the Play Store and stop any app from installing automatically. I don't think the Galaxy App Store installs apps automatically, but check there as well. Now see if those Play Store openings are occurring. If not, then start reinstalling apps one by one, being careful to note any recurrence of the Play Store intrusions.

dankumm

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I for one am going to wait. It's only been a few days and we don't know how widespread the issue is and/or if anyone has thought up a fix. A factory reset seems pretty drastic so immediately but eventually might have to happen.

dustinfrank

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I REALLY don't want to do a factory reset yet....but I will if it goes a couple more days

Posted via the Android Central App

dankumm

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I finally got around to booting into safe mode (did two different times to be sure) and I'm very surprised to report back that this did not fix the problem and even in safe mode play store would randomly open with the same results. My only two 'out there' theories is that its somehow related to samsung pay rollout that happend on the same day this started OR perhaps related to the new version of the play store rolling out across devices now (although I don't have that updated version yet)???

userGaxaxyS6

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
The problem persists here.

I've found other people with this same issue: https:// talk. sonymobile. com /t5 /Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR /Google-Play-message /td-p /343417

dustinfrank

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I also did safe mode a couple of times with no improvement. Finally broke down and did a reset and it's all back to normal. I haven't done a reset in a long time anyway....

Posted via the Android Central App

userGaxaxyS6

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
My device is brand new (less then two months using it). I have been avoiding installing apps into it, in order to avoid the mess... but it seems that samsung keeps installing new apps all the time, without my asking for it.... I guess I should have disabled automatic updates since the beginning :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaze_3ds