Power Button Won't Turn Off Display

JojoSteez

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, first post here. Got the Epic on Sep 1st and loving it so far. I am also a former Pre user but couldn't be bothered to wait for a new phone announcement anymore. So far this phone is great. I installed ADW launcher and a lot of apps and have the phone just how i like it so far. I am, however having a problem with the power button. Last night it started malfunctioning. When the device is fully awake, the power button will not turn the display off again. It works fine if the phone is still locked, I can turn the display off and on like normal. It's just when the phone is fully awake, it doesn't work. Holding the button functions normally and brings up the power/phone menu. I thought I might have messed something up in tasker as I have a task set to keep the display always on when the keyboard is open, but everything is good there. I think sometime happened when I tried the one click root. It got a few device not found errors at first, but I closed the window and tried again, and the phone has root now. I can't figure out why it is doing this now. If nothing can be found I don't have a problem starting from scratch.

On a side note, I'm used to WebOS Doctor when starting over but I don't see a similar way to do this for android. What would be the best way to wipe the phone and make it factory again? Thanks a lot....learning a lot about android here at AC.

--Jojo

JojoSteez

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Update: I still don't know what the problem was but I went to privacy settings and did a factory data reset. This fixed the problem. It's amazing how most of my apps had backups so it didn't take long to get everything running again. Loving this phone again.

Oh yeah.i noticed I didn't lose root either so that's cool. Thanks guys..feel free to post any other ideas still.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk Pro

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
2nd Epic here, and I had the exact same thing happen to me. Factory reset fixed it, and it hasn't happened again. However, between the back button and the screen wiggle, I think I'm heading back to Sprint today for an exchange.

I wish to god I hadn't rooted and bricked my first one. It was absolutely perfect.

dquangt

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
just happened to me

just had this happen to me. it was weird because i saw it as it happened. the phone was sitting on my desk. i got up to turn on the computer when i saw the four main buttons light up for no reason (home, back, menu, search). so i grabbed the phone and tried to turn it on. hit the power button and nada. open the keyboard and the keys light up. try the power button and still nothing.

so i take out the battery and wait a few seconds and reboot the phone. everything comes on fine, but the screen won't turn off by pressing the power button. i check the settings and everything is normal. i also notice the battery reads 50%. so i turn it off again and reboot again, no battery removal this time. phone again reboots but now the battery reads zero and is blinking. screen will still not turn off with the power button.

so finally i do the data reset and everything is fine now. once things are up and running i notice the battery reads at around 25%. WTH? i'm pretty irritated that i have to reinstall all the apps again and customize the menus, but i suppose its not that big of a deal since luckily the appbrain app backed up what i have installed thus far.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
2nd Epic here, and I had the exact same thing happen to me. Factory reset fixed it, and it hasn't happened again. However, between the back button and the screen wiggle, I think I'm heading back to Sprint today for an exchange.

I wish to god I hadn't rooted and bricked my first one. It was absolutely perfect.

How'd you manage to brick your phone?
Its so simple to root it. And you should've been able to recover it if you already rooted and bricked it later.
Either way Odin is there to save the day

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pumice stone