Predict first weekend sales for Evo

How many Evo sales first WEEKEND?

• Total voters

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
RS has over 5000 stores, BB has about 1000 in US. RS wants to be a phone reseller, it's their new strategy. They simply ordered more than BB.

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I think a few people are going to wait and see what Apple announces before they decide. We may see a spike in sales after WWDC

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
RadioShack has apparently sold out of their allotment of pre-sales. If they are saving half (of 200K allotted) for in store sales, there is still at least 100K already sold, so it's likely to top the Droid launch. It would seem those voting <100K don't want EVO to do well.

jrcbandit

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully Sprint will start airing EVO-specific ads this week (without any creepy ladies), game 1 of the NBA finals would be a smart place to advertise. I wonder what the initial allotment is going to be?

Hero-ic Lover

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
People seriously think the EVO will sell >250k the first WEEKEND?

I mean, that is the questioned posed, right?

I think if Sprint does between 200-250k the first three days, they'd be ecstastic.

808dee

May 26, 2010
dee808.blogspot.com
i think we are going to see the ads for the phone come out closer to the 4th if not then that weekend they going start going. and yea get the techies hook and once they start talking and chatting and blogging about the phone then thats when it will start killing the iphone.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who thinks this phone will sell more than 250,000 units on its first weekend is crazy. Any reports about RadioShack having 200,000+ preorders are incorrect. There's no way in hell it will outsell the iPhone. There's plenty of reasons why:

A. People say lots of techies are going for it. That's probably true, but there aren't enough techies to make that number.
B. Internet advertising is not going to sell the EVO to the average consumer
C. The average consumer may not care about 4G, or want a large phone, or even know the upsides of Android.
D. There was just as much hype around the Droid and Pre, and look how well those sold.

I think anything under 250,000 is a reasonable number to guess. Android is not going to suddenly overtake Apple without warning, especially for a device that is basically targeted at geeks, not the average consumer.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Folks, there is zero buzz about the Evo beyond the tech geeks (all of us). And, the general consumer base has proven they are not going to be willing to incur a $10/month tax to use a specific phone.

Sprint just really muddled things up with the $10 EVO fee and the $30 WiFi fee and now the $5 video chat fee. That kind of noise will drive consumers to other devices fast.

Bang321

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if iPhone launch sales get a boost because they only come out with one device every year. Because of this, there is always a huge buildup and sales go through the roof on opening weekend. Android phones come out on a multitude of carriers, with a variety of devices, and are launched scattered throughout the year. This makes it so that there is never one huge device launch and also introduces the reasoning that a better android phone could be coming out in 2 or 3 months. With the iphone, users know that they will have the best iphone... at least for a year. Regardless... I can't wait to EVO on friday. EVOO!!! Extra Virgin Olive Oil 4G!!

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I love how most of the reviews bitch about the $10 fee...even the washingtonpost one

no matter how much people say "suck up the $10 fee", it still creates a barrier for those switching from other networks (most will say...i rather pay $10 more to be on verizons better network or Iphone)

the $10 fee isn't a huge hit for those of us already on sprint since we know we are saving money...its the potential converts they are turning off

Didn't the same thing happen with the Pre? they never gained any customers....those who got the Pre were already on sprint

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Folks, there is zero buzz about the Evo beyond the tech geeks (all of us). And, the general consumer base has proven they are not going to be willing to incur a $10/month tax to use a specific phone.

Sprint just really muddled things up with the $10 EVO fee and the $30 WiFi fee and now the $5 video chat fee. That kind of noise will drive consumers to other devices fast.
Not True at all. Well the part about being zero buzz beyond tech geeks is true.

1. Consumers WILL pay extra, remember iPhone?
  2. Tethering has almost always been an additional cost, the Pre on VZ is the exception.
  3. "$5 video chat fee" is NOT from Sprint but from Qik. Has nothing to do with Sprint beside them bundling it with the phone.

<snip>
D. There was just as much hype around the Droid and Pre, and look how well those sold.
<snip>
I agree with everything said BUT the Pre didn't initially sell because nobody had inventory. I was 4th and last in line at BB and people were being turned away before the store ever opened. Inventory didn't show for months. By that time EVERYBODY had gotten in their heads that there was something terrible wrong with the phone and NOBODY would sell it. Sprint and then VZ would do everything not to sell you the phone.

I still stick the the "Droid Does" campaign as being genius.
They created a buzz that's still carries. I know a guy that reads all the sites daily, considers himself a tech geek and he can't, or does distinguish, "Droid" from Android. He thinks "Droid Does" = "Android Does".
Plus they continue to name the devices "Droid" and whatever phone carries on with the original campaign so those devices has good launches as well.
In effect the ads for the Droid Incredible started last year.

Sprint just doesn't do good launches. The Instinct campaign was great.
I still know a number of people who love the Instinct. I remember going to DC after the phone was released and they were EVERYWHERE.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
HTC and Sprint are not Apple.

My point on fees is not related to WHO is charging them but that they are being charged and that will shut off consumers faster than anything. It created the impression of a lack of value and it creates confusion about the true cost of the phone/Sprint service.

Not True at all. Well the part about being zero buzz beyond tech geeks is true.

1. Consumers WILL pay extra, remember iPhone?
  2. Tethering has almost always been an additional cost, the Pre on VZ is the exception.
  3. "$5 video chat fee" is NOT from Sprint but from Qik. Has nothing to do with Sprint beside them bundling it with the phone.

I agree with everything said BUT the Pre didn't initially sell because nobody had inventory. I was 4th and last in line at BB and people were being turned away before the store ever opened. Inventory didn't show for months. By that time EVERYBODY had gotten in their heads that there was something terrible wrong with the phone and NOBODY would sell it. Sprint and then VZ would do everything not to sell you the phone.

I still stick the the "Droid Does" campaign as being genius.
They created a buzz that's still carries. I know a guy that reads all the sites daily, considers himself a tech geek and he can't, or does distinguish, "Droid" from Android. He thinks "Droid Does" = "Android Does".
Plus they continue to name the devices "Droid" and whatever phone carries on with the original campaign so those devices has good launches as well.
In effect the ads for the Droid Incredible started last year.

Sprint just doesn't do good launches. The Instinct campaign was great.
I still know a number of people who love the Instinct. I remember going to DC after the phone was released and they were EVERYWHERE.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
[*]"$5 video chat fee" is NOT from Sprint but from Qik. Has nothing to do with Sprint beside them bundling it with the phone.

yea, but most people won't know the difference. I bet you that if you sign up for the Qik service, it will show up on your sprint bill (like ringtones, etc). Most users won't know the difference and blame Sprint for it

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe