PRL Swap for the V on VM (latest PRL for Sprint Towers).

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Just flashed the new 01115 PRL and still only 0-2 bars at home. I'll see how it is over the next few weeks.

Anyone have an up to date list of Sprint towers for a given city? All I could find was an outdated map on cellreception.com.

Try the OpenSignal app in the market, they have a webpage with coverage maps.

Remember to kill it under running services, or it will eat your battery!

Reactions: Superorb

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Try the OpenSignal app in the market, they have a webpage with coverage maps.

Remember to kill it under running services, or it will eat your battery!
Thanks! According to their maps, Sprint has a zillion towers by me which doesn't explain why I have such poor coverage in many spots. There's a tower about a half mile away and another a mile away.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Most of the time it is congestion and not distance from a tower that kills your internet speed. Your best bet is to convince all your neighbors that Sprint and Virgin Mobile are horrible and that they should switch to AT&T.

On an unrelated topic, have you heard how great AT&T is? You'd have to be a fool not to switch. ;)

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I installed the OpenSignal App and there's a close tower, about a 1/4 mile away. I didn't know that tower was there. I'm only getting 0-2 bars while at home, kinda crappy if you ask me.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if you are connecting to that closer tower? If you know that you are not, try using different PRL's until you get one that lets you on. It might not be a matter of finding a PRL that has that closer tower programed in. It might be that you want a PRL that doesn't contain the towers that are further away that you connect to instead of the closer one. OR the closer tower doesn't actually exist. OR shutdown for maintenance.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if you are connecting to that closer tower? If you know that you are not, try using different PRL's until you get one that lets you on. It might not be a matter of finding a PRL that has that closer tower programed in. It might be that you want a PRL that doesn't contain the towers that are further away that you connect to instead of the closer one. OR the closer tower doesn't actually exist. OR shutdown for maintenance.
I'm actually connecting to a much closer tower than I had previously thought I was.

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't work for me, I just get a 404 error.

I did too.

But, there is a BUNCH of info below the 404 error.

Once you get to the screen with the 404 error, do a search for the text "msl", and write down the 6 digits after the found text. You will know you are in the right area if next to the "msl" text entry, there is an "otsl" entry of "847446" (i.e., "VIRGIN").

Good luck.

And, thanks to the person who posted that info; beats using CDMA Workshop ANYTIME. :)

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
What works better: Hybrid, or latest Sprint (011115)?

Title says it all (though I should have referenced Hybrid as 61677, and Sprint as 01115).

Thanks for any information on this.

Last edited:

z0mbi3

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Greetings,

So regarding the posted tip about using https://www1.virginmobileusa.com/myaccount/login.dofsdf to first find (search the page) a phone's "MSL" number after logging into Virgin Mobile's site, *instead* of CDMA Workshop, does this mean that one can simply skip steps 4 through 9 in the sticky instructions (all the ones that deal with extracting the MSL number via CDMA workshop)?

Thanks!

Yup, I didnt even install CDMA Workshop got my msl from the VM link, installed QPST and followed the directions. Worked like a champ. I've been lurking for awhile and decided to try this so hope it improves my service. Thanks :D

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or does this no longer work? (https://www1.virginmobileusa.com/myaccount/login.dofsdf)

I logged in to Virgin Mobile's site, then copy and pasted:
https://www1.virginmobileusa.com/myaccount/login.dofsdf

I get a "The specified URL cannot be found" error. There is no other information there.

Does this method no longer work?

Thanks!

Frank

1. Log into your Virgin Mobile account.
  2. Click this link
  3. Although you get a 404 error page, search the page for "msl:"
  4. The six numbers after msl: are your MSL code. Write them down

bondbeau

May 12, 2011
Visit site
And Did the Updated PRL List Improve Your Service?

Yup, I didnt even install CDMA Workshop got my msl from the VM link, installed QPST and followed the directions. Worked like a champ. I've been lurking for awhile and decided to try this so hope it improves my service. Thanks :D

i appreciate your reply confirming you updated your device's PRL without installing CDMA Workshop.

And so far, do you believe your voice and/or data service has been improved in speed, reliability, availability, or improved battery life (seemingly the primary reasons for making the alteration to the stock PRL list)?

Or contrarily, has there been any deficit you perceive for having performed this action?

Thanks so much...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter