Pros and Cons of Rooting.

CrixerRen

Mar 9, 2018
Visit site
What are the pros and cons of rooting?

I've been planning to root my S8+ for awhile now and I want to now what'll happen if I root it.

What are the benefits of rooting do I get better battery life, better performance?

And how about the the drawbacks I know about losing your warranty and all that but are there any other disadvantages?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
There are plenty of threads on this subject here, I'll try to find you some...
Short answer is don't go there...

venommob

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
What are the pros and cons of rooting?

I've been planning to root my S8+ for awhile now and I want to now what'll happen if I root it.

What are the benefits of rooting do I get better battery life, better performance?

And how about the the drawbacks I know about losing your warranty and all that but are there any other disadvantages?

If you root your device, you have an opportunity to have total control over almost every aspect of your device.

'Rooting' means you have gained admin rights (Root Privilege in Linux) to your device. It will still function the same as before root, because you have not altered the system other than gaining admin. How you wish for your device to behave is up to you after careful research. I would suggest you stay away from CPU/ GPU overclocking.

Battery life is a combination of app choices/ settings and device settings at any given time.

Benefits: Get rid of bloatware (Frees space, lowers data usage), you get far more powerful security apps, trimming the fat on Googles' data mining (Saves battery/ CPU cycles), free WiFi hotspot (With a replacement ROM), full system customization, full access to root apps, and the satisfaction of learning how a device which holds your most personal details ACTUALLY works on a fundemental level.

Disadvanages:

Brick/ Soft Brick: Paying close attention to instruction will steer you away from bricking your device. it happens, though not as frequently to be a deal-killer. Un-Bricking can be a time consuming, sometimes fruitless process, but quite rewarding after you've panic-fixed it.

Cockiness creates mistakes. Research, study, practice (Like most things learned in life).

Warranty: Broken screen, buttons, cracked frame, ect, are covered. Altering the OS, and wanting manufacturer repairs is not happening with most companies. OnePlus and HTC are the exception to covering rooted devices I know of. Get your device(s) insured.

Updates: Altering the bootloader will keep OTA's from happening. But, learning to 'Un-root' your device back to stock allows for updates...then simply re-root over the new update.

Security: Don't download apps from stupid places, don't click on stupid websites/ links while browsing, don't open stupid emails...and don't walk around with WiFi/ Location and BT on all day (Also saves battery). Get a root-level firewall based on IP tables and lock it all down. No malware for you unless you invite it in.

The only other drawback is someone on the internet will start hating on your curiosity.

Full Customization

Screenshot_20180404-182901.jpg

Disabled 97% of Google Play Services data mining processes (There are more processes than the photo shows).

Screenshot_20180326-211126.jpg

Free WiFi Hotspot (Sprint wishes to charge me to share my already unlimited data plan with my laptop).

Screenshot_20180404-183010.jpg

Viper4Android (An audio must-have for rooted Android)

Screenshot_20180404-183113.jpg

The ability to change cellular DNS servers (Google servers get no 'Advertising' data from me).

Screenshot_20180404-183202.jpg

12 hours of sleep, I awake with 97% battery. Every day.

17 (1).jpg

Full functionality and never a problem accross devices spanning five years.

I can change my own vehicles' brakes, rock climb, and hunt, but changing how my device operates is...dangerous? Really?

Do your homework, then decide if rooting is for you. Knowledge is power.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miko