Quick Maybe Crazy Question...

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
If I swap my SIM card with my wife's SIM will her phone get my calls, texts etc.?

Basically turn her physical phone into my "network" phone or whatever you'd call it?

She has Nougat (and it's stuck on Nougat - it won't receive over the air updates for whatever reason) and this is what I want for my phone. So is it that simple or will I screw something up or am I not considering something really important?

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Your phone number is tied to your sim card.
If you swap cards, you're basically swapping numbers.

Great, so then I can simply take over her phone? That's exactly what I want to do. So I think my steps to do this would be...

1. Back up both phones.
2. Do a factory reset on both.
3. Swap SIMS and then restore the backups.

...of course when I restore the backups, I'm restoring my backed up data to her physical phone (which will now be my physical phone and network phone). Right?

Goodness, can it really be this simple? I'm waiting for the big reality bomb to drop and tell me NO that's not how it works...

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
One more thing I just thought of...

Is the over the air update tied to a SIM card?

My wife's phone won't update but my phone never had this issue, so if I put my SIM in her phone I wonder if I'll start being prompted to update to 8 or skip to 9? Hopefully not but I'll see.

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Just now saw your responses. Sorry about that.
How did everything turn out?

It turned out great! It truly was that simple... just switching the SIM cards. So I've been using my wife's Note8 and it still is running Nougat simce it never receives updates and I know this is crazy but it's the truth...I couldn't be happier! All what I need is in my apps which always get updated... my phone's hardware (so far) is still VERY relevant.

And here is a big thing for me...my battery life is AWESOME! So Nougat had it right all along.

My wife now had Pie and I'm not exaggerating when I say she HATES it. Most of all, she HATES the battery life. Horrible!

So I'll see how long I can last one my Note8 running good ole Nougat! LOL!

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
It turned out great! It truly was that simple... just switching the SIM cards. So I've been using my wife's Note8 and it still is running Nougat simce it never receives updates and I know this is crazy but it's the truth...I couldn't be happier! All what I need is in my apps which always get updated... my phone's hardware (so far) is still VERY relevant.

And here is a big thing for me...my battery life is AWESOME! So Nougat had it right all along.

My wife now had Pie and I'm not exaggerating when I say she HATES it. Most of all, she HATES the battery life. Horrible!

So I'll see how long I can last one my Note8 running good ole Nougat! LOL!
That's awesome. Glad everything worked out for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene