Real life Battery Usage thread for the Z Flip 3.

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Can people please tell how their real life screen on-time usage has been along with full day battery life?

I'm sure this is important to everyone since what I've read may sway decisions one way or the other.

Thank you all in advance.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Gonna go out on a limb here and say you shouldn't 'trust' any of the answers unless they've had the phone as a daily driver for at least a week or more? People have barely gotten them in their hands and most reviewers have posted theirs post-haste for the clicks (although the good ones DO state that while they're getting a good day out of the phone, the battery life is yet not indicative of what it can do). To be fair, and in line with previous models, you should expect an average-Joe day out of this phone but no more.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
This isn't rocket science. Based on the size of the flip 3 battery. Power users will struggle with this phone.

305rob305

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This isn't rocket science. Based on the size of the flip 3 battery. Power users will struggle with this phone.
I'm coming from a regular s10 which I believe has 3400 bateery size. Do you think I should get the same or better since this has a better chip and my s10 has a better screen with a better ppi?

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Just for reference the phone came out the box at 60% I didn’t download any additional apps just the stock ones got updated and I changed a few settings…in about an hour I was already at 30%..I can already tail it’s going to be a struggle

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from a regular s10 which I believe has 3400 bateery size. Do you think I should get the same or better since this has a better chip and my s10 has a better screen with a better ppi?

It all depends on how one uses their device. If you are constantly using it. Social media, watching videos, playing games, etc. Then I'd say look for a phone with a much bigger battery. But even phones with much bigger batteries can get horrible battery life. I'm in no way a power user, so unless we're talking 30% drop in a few hours with it just sitting on a desk. I'm not worried about the battery life on the flip 3.

ed1111

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
What I don't understand is how does the 2.5 year old galaxy S10 with only 100 mah smaller battery and a similar size screen perform so much better in tests compared to the fold set to 60 hz? Shouldn't they be similar?

According to one site on a browsing test a S10 lasts 10:19 and a Fold 3 6:00.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Just for reference the phone came out the box at 60% I didn’t download any additional apps just the stock ones got updated and I changed a few settings…in about an hour I was already at 30%..I can already tail it’s going to be a struggle
I charged to 99% within 10 minutes I was down to 75%(restoring data). Fell asleep about an hour later woke up about 4 hours later and was down to 12%. Really hope it's the data restore because this is beyond disappointing even for a first day setup. I literally have not even played with the phone.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I charged to 99% within 10 minutes I was down to 75%(restoring data). Fell asleep about an hour later woke up about 4 hours later and was down to 12%. Really hope it's the data restore because this is beyond disappointing even for a first day setup. I literally have not even played with the phone.

I'm more amazed you fell asleep on new phone day! But yeah, I'm sure restoring data had a lot to do with it. Otherwise that's not bad battery life, that's downright unusable.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Exactly! Please give it at least a week.. Let the phone learn you habits and see what Samsung puts to sleep with its learning... I expect you will need to bump charge with power user for sure...

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I can concur that it will take a week for the battery to settle. I also believe that as Samsung collects data usage from customers that opt in to send diagnostic reports there will be updates to get the battery to run at it's peak.
Every Samsung phone I have owned, the battery life got better as time went on after updates.

Fyi... I say this as I am restoring my apps and information on my new Flip 3 256gb unlocked and charging the battery. It feels like a solid phone.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm more amazed you fell asleep on new phone day! But yeah, I'm sure restoring data had a lot to do with it. Otherwise that's not bad battery life, that's downright unusable.
Ha ha yes work really tired me out yesterday and yes today has been better although I really haven't used the phone. I'm down to 78% after standby of about 12 hours only opening a closing a few times to show it off...

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Ha ha yes work really tired me out yesterday and yes today has been better although I really haven't used the phone. I'm down to 78% after standby of about 12 hours only opening a closing a few times to show it off...

That's pretty steep battery drain for 12 hours of standby.... I hope it gets better for you.

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I've definitely noticed the battery is getting better. Today I was working, visiting clients so my phone was charging while driving. I played with it during visits, some clients had a look, I did the usual playing music, social media and the usual. Granted, I'm not sitting at home just using it but today was the first day that I didn't notice any difference than I did with my Note 10 plus. The phone was brilliant. I have turned off some back ground data usage and I've also reverted back to 60hz on the screen. To be honest I don't really notice much of a difference with that. But 100%, the battery has definitely improved and also the heat it was producing too.

Attachments

• 53237.jpg
    53237.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 19

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty steep battery drain for 12 hours of standby.... I hope it gets better for you.
Happy to report that battery life is definitely improving. Granted I haven't fully playing with the phone, but standby time is much better. Almost a whole day and it still has over 70% battery left. You can tell that it is adapting to your usage which is great. Screenshot_20210828-044017_Device%20care.jpg

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Good to hear people's battery life is improving.....as is the case with any out of the box Samsung. I just got my flip yesterday and it went from 70% to 30% overnight. I wonder if it sleeps deeper if it is closed? I have been tending to leave it open unless I am pocketing it, and left it open overnight.

Seeker336

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I just learned that there is a setting under Battery and device care > Battery > More battery settings > Protect battery. If you toggle this on, it will limit charging to no more than 85%, supposedly extending the life of the battery.

Not sure how much time that costs when you give up that extra 15%.

Has anyone used this setting? Is the daily battery life hurt significantly? Does it seem to make any real difference in battery lifespan? Any recommendations on toggling this setting ON or OFF?

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I just learned that there is a setting under Battery and device care > Battery > More battery settings > Protect battery. If you toggle this on, it will limit charging to no more than 85%, supposedly extending the life of the battery.

Not sure how much time that costs when you give up that extra 15%.

Has anyone used this setting? Is the daily battery life hurt significantly? Does it seem to make any real difference in battery lifespan? Any recommendations on toggling this setting ON or OFF?

It should definitely help with the battery longevity, which is why many electric cars usually restrict how much battery can be used (for example, the Mustang Mach E extended range has a 98.7 KWh battery of which only 88.0 is usable). At least part of the question, for you, is how long do you plan to keep the phone? If it is less than two years, it likely isn't worth it; if you plan to keep the phone more than two years then it is worth considering. If you are a "power user" you likely also don't want to use it, as you will need that extra 15% to get you through a day, unless you can (and don't mind) charging frequently during the day.

I had it on for the first day, now I'll try it with it off. My one suggestion is, when turned on, to "recalibrate" the battery size in the software. With it on, it shows you only go to 85% -- but habit makes me feel, when I get below 50%, that the phone is getting low on charge. I'd like to see, even though you are not using the 15% of battery, that it still shows you with 100% charge. It does cause an issue, though, where some might have the feature set and wonder why their battery life is so poor -- so possibly have a note, while charging, that shows you are only going to 85%.

I like the idea and would love to have it as an option on all phones; but the issue with it on the Flip 3 is that the battery is too small for most people to use it and still get a days charge out of the battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere