Received 5.1 Update OTA? Post here!

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Got mine today.

64gb purchased from Motorola on AT&T Go Phone plan. OTA upgrade to 5.1, rev "D."

Cool! Hope that's a good sign for me. I purchased from Google Play and am on AT&T.

Did you do any trickery with removing your SIM or wiping data for this app or that, or did the OTA just come?

AC App
Nexus 6

mothershipload

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Got my update yesterday morning. I don't notice any difference, was really hoping to get calling over wifi.:mad: My friend's Galaxy S5 has had it since she got the phone. We're both on Tmobile.

clairez1

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Found this on the web. May explain why Verizon non-branded N6s may never get an OTA.

As for who handles updates, it all comes from Google, no matter what. However, Google will withhold updates based on SIM card pending carrier approval. AT&T has not approved Android 5.1 yet, and therefore, anyone with an AT&T SIM card in their Nexus 6, no matter where it was purchased, will not be offered the OTA until AT&T approves it. So far, the only US carriers to approve Android 5.1 are T-Mobile and Sprint.

Another interesting article from Android Police:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...te-one-that-wasnt-purchased-from-the-carrier/

Hope this helps ....

Last edited:

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Found this on the web. May explain why Verizon non-branded N6s may never get an OTA.

Another interesting article from Android Police:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/03...m-the-carrier/

Hope this helps ....

I was thinking about this stuff the other day, while waiting for the 5.1 OTA...

I brought my unlocked N6 to AT&T to get a nano SIM. At that time, they took the IMEI number to activate the phone. I wonder, when they entered that number, did that effectively turn my unlocked phone into an AT&T/carrier phone?

In the past, I have bought unlocked phones, simply put my AT&T sim in, and called it a day. I never went to the carrier to register or activate or anything. Just worked right out of the box.

I'm wondering now if bringing the phone to them to "activate" it wasn't a great move, and I woulda been better off just cutting my own sim and leaving AT&T out of the matter...

AC App
Nexus 6

Last edited:

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Under the FWIW flag:

Before my OTA update to 5.1 D , my screen showed the carrier to be Cricket [AT&T towers].
After the update the screen shows ATT and in addition has numbers listed for ATT data usage, support...etc.
Point being:
if "D" is for ATT usage phones why do people have to do the "remove sim trick" or other "jump through hoops" in order to get the update?

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Received the Nexus 6 yesterday brand new via my business account with O2 UK; upgraded to 5.1 later last night after I'd faffed about getting it to how I wanted with Nova launcher etc...

All hunky dory so far; no issues and its running very slick indeed :cool:

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a google play N6 that I use an ATT Sim. Just did the T-Mobile Sim trick and it worked like a charm. Now running 5.1

Posted from Nexus 6

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a google play N6 that I use an ATT Sim. Just did the T-Mobile Sim trick and it worked like a charm. Now running 5.1

Posted from Nexus 6

Damn I don't know anyone who uses t-mobile lol.

I'm in the same boat.. Google Play N6 on AT&T.

Now it looks like 5.1.1 could be imminent. Maybe my phone will just skip to that, who knows. Same with my 2013 Nexus 7 for that matter.

AC App
Nexus 6

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod