Recent update makes keyboard useless

stevemobs

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
HTC saw fit to make the keyboard easier to use for slow typers. If you hit a key and then a key right next to it the keyboard will assume you mistouched the first character and replace it. This wreaks havoc when you're typing words where the letters are close together in sequence on the keyboard. This makes the keyboard useless for fast typists. How this got out of QA and they thought it'd be a good idea without even having the option to turn it off boggles my mind! :mad:

I don't really care about word prediction or anything like that, I just need to find a new keyboard that isn't going to go stupid on me like this. HTC needs to allow us to disable this "feature".

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
You could try the Droid X keyboard, there is a thread floating around somewhere that shows how to get it.

There is also SwiftKey in the market, that's what I'm currently using.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I am seeing that too (although I am a slow typist). But I opened up a mail and just pressed two side-by-side keys really quickly (like a-s) and it replaced the a with an s.

That is goofy.

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Please provide steps to reproduce so others can verify what you're doing. At this point, it sounds a little dramatic to say the update made the keyboard "useless".

stevemobs

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I've already included the steps to reproduce. Notice the guy in this thread that has reproduced it. I guess most people don't type quickly enough for this to be an issue but it makes it useless for me. Just quickly press two characters right next to one another and you'll see it. It does not matter what application you are in, the ailment is of the keyboard not a particular app.

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I've already included the steps to reproduce. Notice the guy in this thread that has reproduced it. I guess most people don't type quickly enough for this to be an issue but it makes it useless for me. Just quickly press two characters right next to one another and you'll see it. It does not matter what application you are in, the ailment is of the keyboard not a particular app.

I guess I should have clarified that I was not able to duplicate the issue and wanted to know exactly what keys you were pressing. I tried with various letters right next to each other at different speeds and didn't have the letter automatically replaced.

I even repeatedly typed asasasasas... without it replacing any of the letters.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
"Fast typist" is pretty subjective. I tried Desert Silver's "asasasasas" string, and pushing as fast as I could go, couldn't reproduce Thrab's problem. Maybe I'm just slow. But I can jump between two adjacent letters pretty fast with no evidence of the keyboard trying to second-guess me.

Thrab - have you tried calibrating your screen? Maybe the calibration has drifted so that it's recording your touches not quite where you actually touch? Setttings:Language and Keyboard:Touch Input:Text Input:Calibration Tool

stevemobs

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
By fast I think anyone over 35wpm or so would encounter this. The word is messed up the most is "the". I can see the "t" register on the screen and it ends up "he" after I hit the 'e". It only happens on the Sense keyboard. Swiftkey is working fine and I think that is what I am going to be using from now on.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
"Fast typist" is pretty subjective. I tried Desert Silver's "asasasasas" string, and pushing as fast as I could go, couldn't reproduce Thrab's problem. Maybe I'm just slow. But I can jump between two adjacent letters pretty fast with no evidence of the keyboard trying to second-guess me.

Thrab - have you tried calibrating your screen? Maybe the calibration has drifted so that it's recording your touches not quite where you actually touch? Setttings:Language and Keyboard:Touch Input:Text Input:Calibration Tool

You can go through this same menu and turn off the text prediction with the stock keyboard. Don't know if that would help your problem.

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
By fast I think anyone over 35wpm or so would encounter this. The word is messed up the most is "the". I can see the "t" register on the screen and it ends up "he" after I hit the 'e". It only happens on the Sense keyboard. Swiftkey is working fine and I think that is what I am going to be using from now on.

Ok...so I was able to duplicate what you're talking about with the word "the", but ONLY when typing WAAAAY faster that I would consider fast typing. Now, I know "fast" is subjective and my "way fast" could be your normal but I had to try really hard to duplicate it.

That being said, I can see why this is happening. The T and H are being detected so fast and in close proximity that the screen is detecting it as a single finger sliding from the T to H, which is why you're seeing the T pop up.

Now, to use the words "useless", I'm going to respectfully disagree. If you are experiencing this, it should not be relatively often and can be cured by going from "spaz typing" to just "fast".

stevemobs

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Well I guess I am a spaz. It makes it horribly annoying to keep up with exchange on the go with this change. For faster typists it is made useless.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
That being said, I can see why this is happening. The T and H are being detected so fast and in close proximity that the screen is detecting it as a single finger sliding from the T to H, which is why you're seeing the T pop up.

Yes, I believe this is what's happening (I was the guy who could reproduce it). I mean, it has to be really really fast for me to be able to do it. Like I have to put a finger over the 'a' and another over the 's' and have to do them within a split second of each other. Trying to do it fast with one finger won't reproduce it...you know, with like a measely 10th of a second between presses.

The same thing happens if you put you finger on the a and slide it to the s (as you've said)...the a shows up, then switches to the s when you slide over it.

I don't know if it worked that way before or not. But if you're typing that fast, I guess it could be an issue. Look at being a slow typist pay off...in spades! Go me! Go me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin_Markov