Removing Google Mail

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I get my e-mail via Yahoo!Mail. I notice that I'm also getting these messages via Google Mail. Since Yahoo is preferred, I'd like to eliminate Google Mail. (Will this improve battery life and/performance?) What's the easiest way of stopping Google Mail -- remove app, force stop app, do nothing, something else?

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
My goal is to improve performance and reduce battery drain by removing or disabling Google Mail, since it duplicates Yahoo Mail (preferred).

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
You usually can't uninstall Gmail from an android phone. But depending on your version of Android, you may be able to uninstall the updates and possibly turn off the app. Go to Settings - Application Manager - Gmail and see what choices it gives you.
You should also go to settings - Accounts - Google, and uncheck the Sync box next to Gmail.
Finally, while the app will remain on your phone, you can delete the icon from your home screen by long pressing and dragging it to the trash.

When you've done all this, the app will still be on your phone but taking up minimal space and consuming no resources.

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I get my e-mail via Yahoo!Mail. I notice that I'm also getting these messages via Google Mail. Since Yahoo is preferred, I'd like to eliminate Google Mail. (Will this improve battery life and/performance?) What's the easiest way of stopping Google Mail -- remove app, force stop app, do nothing, something else?
If your talking about the "Email" app just disable it if you're not using it. Same thing with the "Gmail" app if you're not using it. Settings/Apps/All, I would "Clear data" then "Disable," any Gmail app updates will be deleted but that's no big deal. I would be surprised if you did not see an improvement with battery life!