Replacing Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 as work horse

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi all,

I am still using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 as a work horse, but now it shows ageing and I want to replace it.
I use it mostly for work, which includes messengers, browsing, social apps and a lot of communication and text writing - all of that power-user type. The odd media on top, but no gaming or heavy applications.
The S2 has become slow, I'm not sure though if that is due to the old android version or outdated hardware specs.

I'd like to replace it with a tablet that gives me a smooth experience for power-office use and while I don't want to be break the bank, I don't want to be skimpy either.

My important points are:
- good battery life
- ideally around 10''- 11''
- smooth performance (office, simple media, browsing)
- headphone jack would be welcome

I had a look around the newer Samsung tabs, but I found it really hard to compare the old S2 flagship against the newer versions (which are very confusing with FE, A, LITE ...).
From the benchmarks, it seems the S2 is still in the same ballpark as some of the newer A-models for example.

To make things more complicated, I would love to know if a ChromeBook is worth considering. However, I haven't figured out if I can rely that all apps (Telegram, WhatsApp, Instagram) will work without issue or if there are other drawbacks I haven't considered yet.

Advice would be much appreciated

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm in the Chromebook camp -- they're so versatile, and much faster when it comes to using the browser. Major apps should work fine, but keep in mind that many of those apps will also have a robust web client (like Telegram), so using the Android app wouldn't be necessary.

I have the 1st gen Lenovo Chromebook Duet, which is a 10" tablet with a detachable keyboard. It's not the most powerful device around, but it's perfect for travel, media consumption, and moderate gaming (I can play Asphalt 9 on it with only occasional frame drops). Lenovo just came out with the 2nd gen, which is called the Duet 3, which is supposed to be an improvement on all fronts. No headphone jack, unfortunately, but you can always use a USB-C-to-3.5 mm dongle.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I still use my Tab S2 occasionally, definitely getting slow but if it works it works. Thing to remember is it uses old slow storage and the SOC was the same used back in the Note 4 in 2014 so performance wise it just doesn't hold up to new tabs.

My dad got the latest Tab A a year or two ago and it's much faster, any tablet you pick up that's modern should be.

However as it seems communication is your primary usage I assume you are frequently typing? Chromebook may just be the better option since it's going to have a better keyboard.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindaoliver