Review - 6,000mAh MPJ Battery for LG G3

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
There are a lot of choices out there for replacement batteries. I would like to bring to your attention one that I have been testing for the past week.

MPJ® 6000mAh Li-ion Replacement High capacity Extended Battery for LG G3, D851(T-Mobile), D850 (AT&T), VS985(Verizon), LS990(Sprint)

Price/Shipping:

This battery is only $29.99 with free shipping, which is priced to match everything else I am seeing in this capacity.

Shipping was from California, with original labels from China. I would assume they are made in china as the label indicates such. This is expected.

Build Quality:

The replacement back cover immediately felt lightweight and thin when I pulled it out of the package, which was wrapped with bubble wrap very well. I was concerned that it wouldn't fit very well and be cheaply made to mirror the stock replacement. Once I snapped it in to place, the fear drained from my mind. It fit absolutely PERFECTLY. Very tight, with no movement. The feel to it is still slightly slippery, but far less than the stock back-plate that is smooth (this is slightly textured but still a hard plastic so it slips into and out of your pocket with no friction.

The battery was chunky, heavy, and had all the appropriate labels. It was identical to the picture on the website and really needs no others.

Performance:

Since this battery is exactly twice the capacity of the stock battery, it is very easy to compare numbers and statistics. So let me share with you some figures. During these tests, I would use my phone regularly with texting, browsing the web, watching YouTube videos, reading comics, playing some games. Nothing too extensive, as I tried to keep an average on-off usage throughout the day without long sessions of games or videos as to keep numbers similar.
Please note: These screenshots have average times listed at the bottom of them for Battery Life and Screen On. Ignore these numbers as they are not only inaccurate, but erroneous. I think it's an issue with GSAM, which is the application I use to gather numbers.

*Stock 3,000mAh Battery* Reference point of half battery at 3:00 hours SOT (moderate brightness, mix between 30%-50% using Lux brightness app). This really shows what I am capable of getting on the current ROM with tweaks on a STOCK battery of 3,000mAh. This also includes the 100% overcharge, which will give you added SOT if you start at 100%, since these batteries are so large, they charge over what capacity they think they're capped at.

1.jpg

Half battery with the 6,000mAh MPJ at 6:24 hours SOT (moderate brightness settings, same as the screen before with stock). Impressive amount of time spent with the screen on. This is including an overcharge at 100%, which I'm sure you've seen on your stock battery. It's just more pronounced on this because it's double the capacity. Estimated around 7 minutes and 35 seconds per %. Since there is overcharge at 100% involved, the numbers will be slightly skewed so please see the estimates for the next screenshot.

4.png

Usage without the 100% overcharge, which throws numbers off. I started recording SOT at 97%. (this estimates to 7 minutes per % or 11h 45min total SOT) Very impressive and matches what LG is putting in the G3.

2.png

And example of some strange battery readings that have popped up after rebooting and having the battery sit for a while. I've noticed this once a couple times in the week of testing this. I'm not sure what it means, but the below screenshot was taken after my phone was sitting next to my bed overnight. Normally I get 1-1.5% loss overnight, but with the large battery it's more like .5-1%

3.png

Impressions:

This battery seems to run a lot cooler than the stock battery. Perhaps because it's large and is able to dissipate heat better? Whatever the case, I've been seeing a lower average temperature after usage than with the stock, which means more longevity, since batteries lose power when exposed to extreme heat or cold.

I have mixed feelings about a larger phone, having always preferred going nude with no case. It is very comfortable in-hand, as only the lower 2/3rds of the phone is larger than stock. The weight is obvious when you first put the battery in, and will slightly affect your day-to-day handling of it. On one hand, I like the added bulk and weight when playing games on it. It must be because I've used an original Sony PSP which is larger and heavier than the Slim PSP models. The added weight just feels right in my hands. However, the added weight is noticeable when I am just checking things quickly and not getting into a long phone-use session. It's a love hate relationship, and I feel that since I can get 6 hours SOT with the stock battery, I'll be flipping back and forth between the extended and stock as my needs require. It's really simple to pop one out and put in another, replacing the back-plate.

I was afraid that this battery would be touted as double capacity but not really be a performer. I was wrong, though as the stats prove otherwise. And charging times are almost exactly double that of the stock battery, with the same stock charger. Definitely a good solution for extra juice, when you don't want to keep swapping spares.

Below is a link to where you can pick one up for yourself. I have not used any other extended batteries for the G3, but I don't see how much better they can be for the price. Perhaps you can pay more for a different back-plate? I have seen some on Amazon that look like they would fit this 6,000mAh size.

One point of information, though. They only seem to offer this replacement back cover in black. I have a Silk White G3, but the two-tone actually looks like of cool in a way. I still would have liked the white option. Another thing that should be obvious is the loss of NFC and wireless charging that the stock back-plate offers. This is no big deal to me, and is par for the course with most replacement-back extended battery offerings, but I wanted to point that out to you.

MPJ® 6000mAh Li-ion Replacement High capacity Extended Battery for LG G3, D851(T-Mobile), D850 (AT&T), VS985(Verizon), LS990(Sprint)

All tests were done on a Verizon LG G3 (VS985) running 5.0.2 Dirty Unicorns 9.2 ROM on the stock kernel that comes with DU.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I'm looking for an extended battery for my own G3 at the moment so thank you for a thorough and scientific report. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Hyperion battery with a Mugen back. I'm happy with it, but it's a shame that only the Mugen brand includes wireless charging and NFC because they're far more expensive. However, with the large capacity of the battery, I don't see myself charging wirelessly that often since I want to make sure that I have a full charge in the morning, though I do keep a wireless charger at work now to keep the battery slowly trickling in when I'm not using my phone.

It adds noticeable bulk, but it isn't uncomfortable at all. It still fits in your hand and I'd argue that it's still a lot more comfortable than using a Nexus 6. Only downside is how cheap the plastic feels (on both the Hyperion back and the Mugen back). Not sure about this one, but it looks like the Hyperion back.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Can it be charged wirelessly?

No, wireless cvharging and NFC capabilities are lost as the back cover does not have the coils or pins capable like the stock cover.

The only option here is to either modify this cover with a DIY wireless coil, or buy an extended cover capable of wireless/NFC.

Mugen makes an extended battery similar to this one I've reviews with a larger, but better equipped rear cover that includes wireless charging and NFC. It is, however, nearly $100.00 compared to the MPJ which costs a third of that for the same amount of juice.

Amazon.com: Mugen Power Extended 6200mAh Battery for LG G3 w/ Black Door Cover. Wireless Charging, NFC. Over 2X More Power!: Cell Phones & Accessories

moestar

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Hello OP are you still using its battery case? I have a same extended battery but am trying to find a new case for it. Do you have any recommend?

cliffords

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Why carry a brick when an extra battery in my pocket offers the same results? Bulk, harder to carry, and no case protection is certainly a minus.
CliffordS

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello OP are you still using its battery case? I have a same extended battery but am trying to find a new case for it. Do you have any recommend?

I am still using it, off and on. I have not found any cases that would fit this, but I do not use a case on my phone so I have not been looking.

Why carry a brick when an extra battery in my pocket offers the same results? Bulk, harder to carry, and no case protection is certainly a minus.
CliffordS

It is not a brick, it's like 5mm thicker. It's also just as easy to carry and I do not have to power off the phone and pull back covers off to swap batteries. It provides a lot of versatility if, for instance, I want to use the phone for a weekend without needing to charge the battery at all. Uninterrupted use goes a long way, especially if you wish to employ good battery practices and not drain them down to under 10 percent.

pinkits

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
It seems they are offering discounts on amazon. I have randomly selected this battery on Amazon before any research and felt relieved to find this review lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000