[ROM][EPIC 4G][CM9] CM9: CyanogenMod v 9.1.0 -Stable

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh my god would you all stop freaking out? There's nothing wrong with RC2. It's a vastly more stable build than RC1, it just doesn't backup the gapps upon install (gapps were never "part" of the rom to begin with anyway). All you guys have to do is re-flash gapps. Nothing to "be trusted" or not. Just re-flash gapps. Can you all handle that? Re-flash gapps and you're done.

Sent from my SPH-D700 CM9 RC2 ANDROID 4.0.4

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: [ROM][EPIC 4G][CM9] CM9: CyanogenMod v 9.0.0- RC1

I hate to be a downer but "this" will never happen. It will be "branded" as stable but there will still be buggy and/or completely non-functional aspects/features that are features of just basic AOSP. It will be left an un-finished product just as CM7 was for CM9, but this time for CM10, which will be left an un-finished product because too much of the dev team will concentrate all their efforts into the new devices they've gotten through the thousands of dollars in donations which were to ensure we would one day see a fully functional, bug free CM7 or CM9.

Although I don't agree 100% w/ your statement, I do respect your personal position on the matter.

The freedom to exercise choice ('having options') is the true power differential here (right, LanceEpicSprint?)

That said......+ on a lighter note ;) let's all agree to meet up for a reunion, say six months from now, if only to assess the state of all things epicmtd at that point; my guess is this: there will be additional build(s) created for this device, but not too many.......CM10 will for sure be one of these (August?), + CM11 may be one as well, or else CM12, who knows?

.........but, well, development will be buzzing into the future as usual (for several devices in tandem --like you noted-- perhaps not so much for the EPIC4G)........some choices will be made that disappoint us, yet other choices may well serve to amaze us.

*hopefully* there will be satisfactory moments in the actual LIVES of our EPICs between NOW + January 21, 2013 (+ BEYOND our proposed reunion :) ) where we can truly enjoy our devices --running at their best capacity + performance-- despite the redundancy of technical issues that may remain unmediated by progress...........my 2 year old EPIC is running awesome at the moment, hopefully it will continue to do so well into 2013.

Reactions: Digital Trucker

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:
Reactions: Windfrenzy

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Is this the file that you need to flash for VVM on RC2....???

Sprint-VVM-from-E4GT-ICS-FE10.zip

....or is there another one I'm missing???

LanceEpicSprint

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Oh my god would you all stop freaking out? There's nothing wrong with RC2. It's a vastly more stable build than RC1, it just doesn't backup the gapps upon install (gapps were never "part" of the rom to begin with anyway). All you guys have to do is re-flash gapps. Nothing to "be trusted" or not. Just re-flash gapps. Can you all handle that? Re-flash gapps and you're done.

EXACTLY!! I went from rc1 to cm10, and then back to rc 2 without any problems.. and rc2 is NOT a drag!! Are u kidding? If you feel that way,you can always go back to using 2.3, or whatever it is sprint only allows for our epics (which truely limit our phones)

I'm thinking of upgrading next month to the galaxy 3, as I'm due for a full upgrade now.. and my contact will be over.. then I can use my og epic for testing roms, etc.. while using galalxy 3 for my main
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

LanceEpicSprint

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Here is a TIP: IF you go from cm9 to cm10, your cwm will update to the newer version 6.0, which ICS, does not cooperate well with, .. here is what I did to fix the problem..

Once I had cwm 6.0 and cm10, but wanted to go back to rc2, I tried just the basic sd card install,but cwm failed upon it, so I then used one of my nandroid backups to go back to cm9 rc1, and then upgraded back to rc2..

Not a big deal,took me 30 minutes ,lost NOTHING..

Reactions: sonarchist

LanceEpicSprint

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site

LanceEpicSprint

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Is this the file that you need to flash for VVM on RC2....???

Sprint-VVM-from-E4GT-ICS-FE10.zip

....or is there another one I'm missing???

Good question,I've been having problems with mine,now I'm using google voice but id like to use my sprint vvm, but from what I've read.in order to get sprint vm working again,I would have to do a fresh install of everything,wipe etc..

smashclash

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

besides the gapps issue my phone was shutting down sometimes when I connected the USB cable after the RC2 install. I would hookup the cable, turn on usb and then the phone would just shut off. It never used to do that before.

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

It's released direct from cyanogenMod Site.......link is here:

CyanogenMod Downloads

Posted 07/19 (a page or so ago)........not easy to find, but it's there: CM9RC2 is located between the Nightly Builds + Changelogs, here:
CM9 Nightlies Changelog - Epicmtd

Enjoy!

Thank you for the link. I found 2 files for GS, one with B and one without. What is the difference?

sonarchist

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the link. I found 2 files for GS, one with B and one without. What is the difference?

B?

On the Cyanogen Project site, the RC2 build is towards the bottom: epimtd is the one you want, NOT gsII.

Traditionally, your RC build is going to be more stable, as the nightlies are evolving almost daily, um, nightly........the soundest features culminate in an RC build. Often, the most recent Nightly may not run as good on YOUR device as the one a few days before..........some folks only flash RC's, yet others enjoy following the ongoing development + how it responds to THEIR specific device on an almost daily basis.

sent from today's android 4.1.1

Last edited:
Reactions: Robbie Doo

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

EXACTLY!! I went from rc1 to cm10, and then back to rc 2 without any problems.. and rc2 is NOT a drag!! Are u kidding? If you feel that way,you can always go back to using 2.3, or whatever it is sprint only allows for our epics (which truely limit our phones)

I'm thinking of upgrading next month to the galaxy 3, as I'm due for a full upgrade now.. and my contact will be over.. then I can use my og epic for testing roms, etc.. while using galalxy 3 for my main

I have the SGS3 and its A BEAST of a phone! :D I will always have my Epic 4G with me as I plan on updating it with the newest CM rom available and keeping it as my trusty backup phone!

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: [ROM][EPIC 4G][CM9] CM9: CyanogenMod v 9.0.0- RC2

B?

On the Cyanogen Project site, the RC2 build is towards the bottom: epimtd is the one you want, NOT gsII.

Traditionally, your RC build is going to be more stable, as the nightlies are evolving almost daily, um, nightly........the soundest features culminate in an RC build. Often, the most recent Nightly may not run as good on YOUR device as the one a few days before..........some folks only flash RC's, yet others enjoy following the ongoing development + how it responds to THEIR specific device on an almost daily basis.

Couldn't update to RC2, the installation was getting aborted.

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: [ROM][EPIC 4G][CM9] CM9: CyanogenMod v 9.0.0- RC2

Bad DL? been a spell of these lately......be sure to match checksum prior to flashing.

OK, I'll redownload and see if it makes a difference.

Yeah, it went well this time. :)

Last edited:

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM][EPIC 4G][CM9] CM9: CyanogenMod v 9.0.0-BETA-4

@dpass,

ekincaid is right, very hard to brick an epic....still, make sure both your device + pc batteries are at least 50% (just in case), + you would be well advised to acquire a Blackberry microUSB cable as there is a high probability that your stock samsung mUSB will cause issues.....just sayin' :)

As for your install from stock FC09 Gingerbread to CM9_beta4 ICS Android 4.0.4, the following is a very brief how-to.....trust me, there are several other ways to do this but this is fairly generic:

[1] See links below, download necessary files to pc + place CM9_beta4 file into your downloads folder on microSD Card (this requires you to connect your device to pc, ensuring all necessary drivers are in place for your upcoming session w/ ODIN; .....also, give the ODIN thread a good read, then:

[*] BACKUP
[2] Power OFF device
[3] Device to Download Mode by pressing '1' + Power Button at same time
[4] Open ODIN on your pc, connect device to pc using mUSB cable, make sure ODIN detects your device as connected
[5] ODIN CWM5.0.2.7 Recovery (place 'CWM5.0.2.7' file in 'PDA' slot + select 'PDA' ONLY, do not select 'autoreboot' then click START.......await for ODIN to complete cycle (**DO NOT STOP this process, as this could very well brick your device**)
[6] when CWM install is complete > disconnect device from PC > pull battery from device for a few seconds, place battery back into slot
[7] then 3-finger boot to CWM Recovery ('down' button, 'camera' button + 'power' button simultaneously....then from CWM Recovery:
[9] flash CM9beta4 by (this will modify your CWM to 5.5.0.4 MTD + establish SU root)
[10] while still in CWM Recovery, after CM9_beta4 install completes........flash GApps20120429 file
[11] boot to system
[12] CM9_beta4: establish gmail settings + if you have apps stored on PlayStore......from PlayStore, install selected apps one-by-one (play store/menu/MyApps).............etcetera.

CWMv5.0.2.7 is here:
[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod 5.0.2.7 BML Officially supported by ROM Manager for Epic 4G - xda-developers

:D

I got to part 6 and it said success on ODIN and when I pulled the battery to do the 3 button press, it doesnt do anything. The phone is completely dead now and nothing turns it on, what can I do?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ateeq625