ROM Installation Handbook

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had a hell of a time with this. For some reason, Lookout didn't back up any of my contacts so...there's that...and when I boot it still says I'm running Android 2.1. I can't tell if there's any difference. I'm usually really good at stuff like this but the DK28 rom was in a rar or tar file...so that didn't show up...so I unzipped and rezipped in a .zip format...and it shows up in the clockwork browser but I don't think it actually installed.
What the heck am I doing wrong?

If I understand your post your trying to go from Eclair 2.1 to the DK28 Froyo (stock), using ClockWork?

There are only two ways to go from Eclair to Froyo.

1) Put your phone into download mode, shutdown (hold 1 on keypad and power) then use the update.zip method to load Froyo

2) Use Odin to update to Froyo with .tar & .pit files (as you mentioned)

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have had a hell of a time with this. For some reason, Lookout didn't back up any of my contacts so...there's that...and when I boot it still says I'm running Android 2.1. I can't tell if there's any difference. I'm usually really good at stuff like this but the DK28 rom was in a rar or tar file...so that didn't show up...so I unzipped and rezipped in a .zip format...and it shows up in the clockwork browser but I don't think it actually installed.
What the heck am I doing wrong?

A .tar is installed using Odin on your computer, not Clockwork on your phone.

ttn333

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm having a bit of trouble trying to flash a rom. I'm stuck at the blue text screen of cw3 and cant get to the normal recovery screen. When I run update zip I get Failed to open and signature failed. Installation aborted.
I'm trying to flash bonzai. I'm on Kernel 2.6.32.9, build froyo.dk28 if that helps.

thanks

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm having a bit of trouble trying to flash a rom. I'm stuck at the blue text screen of cw3 and cant get to the normal recovery screen. When I run update zip I get Failed to open and signature failed. Installation aborted.
I'm trying to flash bonzai. I'm on Kernel 2.6.32.9, build froyo.dk28 if that helps.

thanks

If you were to reboot your phone into CWM (vol down+camera+power) what does it take you to? What is the version number? Also which version of Bonsai are you trying to flash?

Reactions: ttn333

ttn333

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So how do get to the orange screen? I think I got something backward somewhere. lol

Did the procedure 2 with OneClickRootCWM3.zip. The the phone got stuck on samsung logo. Then I did the restore to froyodk28 using odin. And that leads me to the here and now. Any help would be appreciated.

ttn333

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
run the whole process over again?

Just can't get out of the blue text screen to get to the orange screen (recovery) for flashing in cw3. Tried for hours.

Should I just restore back to stock first, and try another process?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The screen with orange text is ClockworkMod3. OneClickRootCWM3.zip is a file you unzip on your computer, using the .bat file to install CWM3 on your phone via USB.

Reactions: ttn333

ttn333

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. Got it worked out.

restore to stock eclair.
restore to froyodk28 using odin.
root using oneclickrootcwm3
use cwm3 to flash rom (i chose bonsai 1.1.4)

funny how easy things flow when you get the steps right.

dockramer

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Rom to Rom

I've had success thanks to your excellent instructions, I have CWM3, EXT4 and Quantum. Working well but I've had some problems with the phone on this ROM.

Now, If I want to flash another ROM, I understand that I have to backup with CWM and Titanium backup, wipe data and memory.

Questions:

Presumably, I can flash a new ROM like Bonsai without returning to stock and starting over. Is that right?

Once I flash a new ROM, what is the best way to restore my apps and data? Should I restore from CWM or Titanium? I don't want to have to reinstall all of my apps and data from scratch again.

Thank you for all of the terrific guidance.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Presumably, I can flash a new ROM like Bonsai without returning to stock and starting over. Is that right?

Right.

Once I flash a new ROM, what is the best way to restore my apps and data? Should I restore from CWM or Titanium? I don't want to have to reinstall all of my apps and data from scratch again.

I would restore using Titanium, and restore apps - only restore apps+data for selective apps that you really need the data for.

TheCrazy88

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok looking to try round 2 but have a question. Will 4g work on these Custom roms or is there some that it will work with and some it won't? I happen to have 4g in my area and it is pretty fast so I use it often. And what rom do you guys think is the best as far as less buggy. An every day rom? I'm reading some people have problems with just dk28 and some have no problem at all so I thought that I would go with a rom. Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok looking to try round 2 but have a question. Will 4g work on these Custom roms or is there some that it will work with and some it won't? I happen to have 4g in my area and it is pretty fast so I use it often. And what rom do you guys think is the best as far as less buggy. An every day rom? I'm reading some people have problems with just dk28 and some have no problem at all so I thought that I would go with a rom. Thanks!

Yes 4g works fine on all these roms. I haven't heard of any issues. I have used Bonsai, midNIGHT & TrulyEpic Rebirth all with 4g in my area.

The above three I mentioned and throw in Quantum as probably having the best, solid performance with little or no issues.

Reactions: TheCrazy88

TheCrazy88

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes 4g works fine on all these roms. I haven't heard of any issues. I have used Bonsai, midNIGHT & TrulyEpic Rebirth all with 4g in my area.

The above three I mentioned and throw in Quantum as probably having the best, solid performance with little or no issues.

Aewsome! Thanks a lot. So what rom did you like the most? Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm a noob.