[ROM] TrulyEpic Rebirth v1.5 AC - no planned EB13 update :'(

rogodeter

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Beautiful ROM - Very nice work

I like it... Very fast, I like the applications launcher scrolling. I will definitely give this ROM a serious try for a while...

I've only been using it for a little over an hour (heavily) and the battery usage seems to be noticeably better than Quantum. It's a really clean setup and I don't experience any lag as I move around the system.

I have a couple of questions..

In my stock Eclair Epic, I had an application called "My Files" that allowed me to browse the SD card. Is there a similar app in Froyo? I know there are lots of file manager apps in the market but I think "My Files" was either stock-Android, stock-Samsung, or stock-Sprint. If "My Files" is stock-Android, I'd prefer to use that.

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This question is not specific to this ROM but I was considering switching to this ROM simply because it was created by Ragnorokx. Before I do... I recently installed Quantum Rom 2.7 by...

Using Odin to factory restore rooted DK28 + CW3
Using debug mode plus bat/script with OneClickRoot... to format fs's to EXT4
Using CW3 to install Quantum Rom 2.7

At this point, phone works beautifully except for no GPS.

If I change to this ROM, will my GPS issue persist, or could I expect it to be fixed by this (or another) ROM? The posts I find on resolving GPS issues are many but quite confusing.

I assumed that CWMOD was a kind of bootloader (like Grub for linux), and that as such, it loads prior to the linux kernel (ie: prior to initialization of peripheral drivers). Given this, I then assumed that the ROMs I was installing included the kernel and everything else so I guess I don't understand why a lot of folks have these GPS issues (unless it is because there are many different manufactures of GPS hardware for the phones and the ROM was compiled with a driver for a specific one that is NOT the same as the one in my phone)... Anyway, I am probably wrong but thought I'd ask it so I could get corrected and better understand how it all works.

Thanks.

As a_c_s mentioned above, GPS problems seem to be independent of what ROM you're using. You might want to check out this thread for some fixes.

Just back to TrulyEpic after using Midnight and Quantum for a while... I like it so far, using 1.1beta... only issue I have is those text messages for voicemails... I have redlist, but still get the messages... the reason I bring this up is that every other 2.2 ROM I've tried over the past month does not still have this bug... am I missing something? Not a deal breaker but definitely a major annoyance...

Thanks for letting me know. I don't use Sprint voicemail so I never noticed this. I'll look into asap.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I like it... Very fast, I like the applications launcher scrolling. I will definitely give this ROM a serious try for a while...

I've only been using it for a little over an hour (heavily) and the battery usage seems to be noticeably better than Quantum. It's a really clean setup and I don't experience any lag as I move around the system.

I have a couple of questions..

In my stock Eclair Epic, I had an application called "My Files" that allowed me to browse the SD card. Is there a similar app in Froyo? I know there are lots of file manager apps in the market but I think "My Files" was either stock-Android, stock-Samsung, or stock-Sprint. If "My Files" is stock-Android, I'd prefer to use that.

Sure thing - just flash this in ClockworkMod3: MyFiles Restore.

Just back to TrulyEpic after using Midnight and Quantum for a while... I like it so far, using 1.1beta... only issue I have is those text messages for voicemails... I have redlist, but still get the messages... the reason I bring this up is that every other 2.2 ROM I've tried over the past month does not still have this bug... am I missing something? Not a deal breaker but definitely a major annoyance...

Currently testing a fix, if it works I'll post it here shortly.

Reactions: dtm_stretch

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I want to suggest changing the name to EpiclyEpic Rom.

Awesome job, the theme is great too. I came from the latest Bonsai4all and I really like the system font change in it. Any plans on changing the system font for this ROM?

Also, its cool that the home of this ROM is at AC and not XDA.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I might take you up on that name for my next ROM.

I can make a flashable zip to change the system font - would you like the same font that Bonzai uses?

Reactions: HAAS599

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Flash in ClockworkMod3: VM SMS fix.

Yeah, that would be great!

Working on yours, should be up in a few.

Reactions: a_c_s

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
hmmmm speaking of fonts...The Vibrant and perhaps other Galaxy S phones had multiple fonts you could select- I was never sure if this was only changing text input fonts or system OS wide- but I was frustrated the Epic left this feature out...in the Froyo build- does it now support selectable fonts in the settings menu?

Ragnarokx, you're really making it hard for me to NOT Root.:eek: (Been holding out patiently for the official)

How well does overclocking work with this ROM? Hey, if I'm going to go to the dark side anyway...may as well go big or go home no?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I might take you up on that name for my next ROM.

I can make a flashable zip to change the system font - would you like the same font that Bonzai uses?

Flash in ClockworkMod3: Bonzai4All Font.

hmmmm speaking of fonts...The Vibrant and perhaps other Galaxy S phones had multiple fonts you could select- I was never sure if this was only changing text input fonts or system OS wide- but I was frustrated the Epic left this feature out...in the Froyo build- does it now support selectable fonts in the settings menu?

Ragnarokx, you're really making it hard for me to NOT Root.:eek: (Been holding out patiently for the official)

How well does overclocking work with this ROM? Hey, if I'm going to go to the dark side anyway...may as well go big or go home no?

I don't think the Epic has that feature. We'll have to settle for changing fonts via Clockwork for now.

We won't have the source code for Froyo until an official release comes out, so no overclocking 2.2 kernels yet. If you do decide to flash this ROM though, you'll definitely be happy with the speed.

r0nin ar1es

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Probably asking too much...

Sadly I just d/led without looking, but I flashed theSamsung apps/TouchWiz .zip, but all I saw was Samsung Apps. :( I was wondering if there was a way to go back to the original ROMS UI and keep the samsung apps!?

Also, when I go into landscape my phone lags and it takes WAY TOO long for the apps to show up for my taste, and this happens sometimes when I go into my application!? Is this an isolated incident or is their something I can do to fix it? Awesome ROM Ragnarokx, If anything I would add in flying windows next time... But as I've tried A TON of ROMS, this is by far my favorite.

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
overclocking will work fine with any 2.2 ROM once official Froyo is released... until then the chefs don't have the source code to undervolt or overclock on froyo for the epic... there are a few roms with custom kernels, but from what I can tell, it's minor changes, and do not appear to help battery life or system speed beyond what the ROM itself is doing on its own...

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Rag, last question... do you happen to have it or a quick link to an APK or zip for the Android vmail? Most other ROMs have it built in... the one where you get notification and then a vmail app pops up with play, pause, and delete buttons, and you never actually have to go through the hassle of holding down 1 in dialer and actually dialing into vmail... Thx

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you want the TouchWiz UI with the app drawer, dock, etc? It is included in that zip you flashed. To switch over to it, download "Home Switcher for Froyo" from the Market and select the TouchWiz launcher.

I haven't noticed and haven't gotten any reports of excessive lag when switching between landscape and portrait. Could there be something running on your system that's bogging it down? Have you tried rebooting or closing background apps?

The window transitions are definitely something that half of the people seem to like and half don't. You can always try flashing a theme that has them if you'd like them in this ROM. I can look into making a flashable zip to add them in but I don't have a lot of theming experience so it may take a little while.

Reactions: r0nin ar1es

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Rag, last question... do you happen to have it or a quick link to an APK or zip for the Android vmail? Most other ROMs have it built in... the one where you get notification and then a vmail app pops up with play, pause, and delete buttons, and you never actually have to go through the hassle of holding down 1 in dialer and actually dialing into vmail... Thx

I believe this is what you're looking for (flash with CWM3): cm-android.apk

r0nin ar1es

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Ummmm, Whatever UI TrulyEpic comes with. I like the Samsung apps, not the UI...

I figured it was probably an isolated incident... Because everything else is FAST, and my battery life is PHENOMENAL!!!

I can wait...

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately TouchWiz is a package deal - the Samsung widgets only work with the TW launcher. Sorry :(

And btw I'll be releasing v1.2 after a little more testing is done. It might help with your landscape transition speed.

Reactions: r0nin ar1es

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Just found this on appbrain if you're interested: Font Changer (root only) - Android app on AppBrain