Root/ MM Update questions, new phone.

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got a used, Verizon branded LG V10,(model VS990) it was factory reset, but I see Super User Free is installed.
Is this phone "rooted"? Does root persist after a factory reset? How can I tell?
Or is this just a preinstalled app? Not sure what it does yet, too busy to play.
Also...
Still trying to get the OTA for MM. My ATT SIM works, but the update is for Verizon V10 only. Do I need a Verizon SIM to get the OTA update?
Can I use LG Bridge to apply the update?

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you will be able to get the Verizon update with an AT&T SIM. That's how they keep track of info (ownership and other info, etc) of the phone. I could be wrong though.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I just got a used, Verizon branded LG V10,(model VS990) it was factory reset, but I see Super User Free is installed.
Is this phone "rooted"? Does root persist after a factory reset? How can I tell?
Or is this just a preinstalled app? Not sure what it does yet, too busy to play.
Also...
Still trying to get the OTA for MM. My ATT SIM works, but the update is for Verizon V10 only. Do I need a Verizon SIM to get the OTA update?
Can I use LG Bridge to apply the update?
Open Super User and open the menu and look for root checker. Run that and it will tell you if it was able to get root access. If it did then the phone is rooted and you will probably not get an OTA update notification because root will block it. If rooted you may have to flash stock rom and then you should get the OTA update.

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I think I got the name of the app wrong. It is SuperSU Free.
I don't see Root checker, but under settings, there is a line that says "Full Unroot, Cleanup for permanent unroot"
I am going to contact the seller to find out why, etc...
Still no time to play, Tank you for the responses.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I got the name of the app wrong. It is SuperSU Free.
I don't see Root checker, but under settings, there is a line that says "Full Unroot, Cleanup for permanent unroot"
I am going to contact the seller to find out why, etc...
Still no time to play, Tank you for the responses.

If you are able to open SuperSU then that means the binaries are installed. It is possible for root to persist after factory reset.

Have you gone to About Phone to checked what software version the phone is on?

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
The phone is on 5.1.1
ASPL 2015-12-01
Kernel vs. 3.10.49-bcc 1475b
Build LMY47V
Configuration vs B15.LGE.VS990.0
SwVs99011B
Sw status Modified
Ss vs MDF v1.1 Release 5

I am trying to use LGUP to either return to LP stock VS99011B_04_ARB00.kdz
Or upgrade to MM
I enabled USB Debugging, the Device Manager says the VS990 is connected, all of the setup for LGUP to do it's thing, is ready, according to the tutorials.

LGUP is just "initializing" (underneath the window that says "There is no handset connected") with a sec counter running. The tip says "pull the battery, leave the USB connected, reinsert the battery and let the phone reboot itself"
When I reinsert the battery, it does not reboot itself. It only shows me the battery status.

LG Bridge cannot connect either, I assume because this device was rooted (now unrooted)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leeuchytil