Rooted battery life - WOW!

diablofreak

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I rooted on Saturday night to BAMF Remix 1.5 - and updated the radio as well. I love all the new features but wow the battery life - i'm now really enjoying my thunderbolt as it should be.

I take the subway (NYC) to work everyday. Before rooting I was trying all kinds of tricks to save battery - like airplane mode. But this thing's batt life drops up to 30% on a just over a half hour commute to work even with airplane mode on! (I dont game on it much, only music) I go to work and constantly charge it. But if I don't charge it midday at work the thing would die with or without a lot of usage.

Yesterday I was going around whole day, used it a bit (less than usual) but the battery lasted me over 12 hours and I still had 20% left on the battery when I went to bed.

Today I didn't even use airplane mode and it still at a high percentage (85%) at work. Am I imagining things? What is different in the BAMF Remix 1.5 ROM that HTC/VZW can't possibly do?

thanks for all the hard work again

AisforAustin

Aug 18, 2010
www.twitter.com
Yeah, I've done the same thing but with the base BAMF 1.5 and the new radio and my battery life is really good. I love my thunderbolt now that I have it how I want it.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Same ROM, different Kernal but I use the stock radio, the updated RUU didn't give me as good of a signal and it ate my battery.

I was very hesitant to root/rom. now the only thing I can say is I wish I would've done it sooner.

diablofreak

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Same ROM, different Kernal but I use the stock radio, the updated RUU didn't give me as good of a signal and it ate my battery.

I was very hesitant to root/rom. now the only thing I can say is I wish I would've done it sooner.

just curious are you in an area with 4G? i want to know if the radio problems I hear are due to 3G reception.

i'm in NYC metro area, they pretty much 4G-'ed the entire 30 mile radius.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Since I've had the phone (March 18th) I've traveled out of LTE area 3 times (yes, it was painful and that's how I remember...lol).

So yes...I'm 100% in LTE. I'm in Metro Detroit, the first area to get LTE in 2011, the first phase after the initial rollout in 2010.

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
While on stock, I was getting 6-12 hours (heavy-moderate usage) Now rooted with BAMF I'm getting 10-16 hours (heavy-moderate usage) I could easily get over 20 hours with light usage. This is all on 4G throughout the day mind you. I'm sure I could squeeze out a bit more too, if I experimented with other kernels and what not, but I'm happy with what I got.

A lot of people do have much different results whether it be from improper flashing, or they're in a weak signal area. I haven't noticed if the new radio has improved battery life from the old one, but I definitely have noticed better connectivity. GPS and recorded audio has improved as well. No reboots or other problems either that some people have been reporting. Maybe I'm just lucky.

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
What exactly are the "new features?"

--Debloated, which includes vzw framework, apps, games, libs, and permissions.
--Tweaked filesystem and minfree.
--Zipaligned (just once, not every boot, sorry), and deodexed. Odex and deodex perform the same after the first boot, when deodex roms get....odexed. This is merely to save space in /system and make tweaking easier.
--Added Google Car Home, removed HTC car app.
--Removed drm apks, and framework for now. If Netflix requires it later, I'll add it back.
--HTC Hub and htcsense.com are partially working.
--Removed Stocks widget, and app. Google has better apps for this anyway.
--Supruser is fixed with rmk40's version, woot woot!
--My own busybox, version 1.19
--Disabled data auto restore, because it tends to interfere with titanium backup.
--Extra scripts
sysrw --sets system to rw.
sysro --sets system to ro.
uber_quadrant --boosts your quads (for fun, must have quadrant installed. advanced or standard is fine).*
rw_boot --sets system to be rw every boot.*
ro_boot --sets system to be ro every boot.*
*don't mind errors if you see them, it will still work.
--profile added to system/bin to help prevent certain malware.
--Kernel has init.d support, as well as adb root, and usb debugging enabled on every boot (even from a wipe).
--Dusk theme from HTC Skin - "Dusk" Sense 2.5 (Z based ROMs) - xda-developers
--No location indicator, thanks Bgill55!
--No recent apps on notification bar. Inspired by http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1004975, using 1.12.605.9 framework, which appears to have quite a few fixes, at least in xml.
--Transparent pulldown and location reticle deleted
--Modded launcher to include 5 app/transparent app drawer.
--Deleted am/pm in status bar clock and carrier in pulldown
--Accurate battery and custom super quick transition animations
--Added Spare Parts to speed up animations even more (change animation speed options to fast for best perfomance)
--Latest maps. (1.4)
--Settings toggles, credit to sk806 and JSChiSurf. (1.4)
--Settings toggles control app, credit to sk806 and JSChiSurf. (1.4)
--6 bar signal mod, credit sk806. (1.4)
--gps enhancement, credit to ziggy471. (1.4)
--Custom Das BAMF skin, credit to gadget! (1.4)
--Custom Boot animation, credit to dsb9938. (1.4)
--GoogleBackupTransport.apk is back for those who want Google to restore your apps. (1.4)
--Some minor build.prop tweaks. (1.4)
--32! tab browser, credit jcase and ThatDudeButch. (1.4)
--Rebot options, including hot restart, credit to aiccucs. (1.4)
--sndoff script: Use with su, turns off boot sound. (1.4)
--sndon script: Use with su, turns on boot sound. (1.4)
--Transparent drop down. (1.4)
--Dalvik heapsize increased to 48M. (1.4)
--Custom 1.4ghz kernel: (1.4)
Supports tun
Supports nfs
Uses CFS CPU schulder
Uses BFQ I/O Scheduler
Governors: Ondemand(Default), Powersave, Conservative, Interactive, Performance, Smartass.
10 speed steps: 245/368/576/768/806/960/1036/1228/1344/1420mhz.
Undervolted all the way to 1036, stock voltage at 1228, slightly overvolted for 1344 and 1420mhz.
Kernel will boot at 1036mhz! You must use setcpu to overclock, the kernel will not do it for you automatically.
Battery charging enhancements.
SLQB Slab Allocator.
Updated ashmem driver.
GPU+ patch.
Death Ray support (Ultra bright torch. Requires app support, included with toggles).****
Audio enhancements in kernel.
Teeter (1.5)
HTC livewallpaper that rotates images (1.5)

In addition - Das BAMF Remix includes:
-Custom accurate battery with new smooth charge animation (1.4)
-Dark themed UI including market (dialer and other elements still to come) (1.4)
-Square edged menus (1.4)
-Transparent and 5 column app drawer (1.4)
-Themed rosie with transparent background and new minimalist buttons (1.4)
-Rosie now remaps "personalize" button to Rosie Settings in app drawer, launchkey removed but can still be installed and utilized via Rosie Settings to launch an 8 item menu (1.4)
-Clear lockscreen (1.4)
-Dark themed UI including market (dialer and other elements still to come) (1.4)

Mustang7303

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Das BAMF 1.5 Remix is not only a smooth and light weight Sense rom, but the kernel does a great job of managing battery life too. Three hours off charge with moderate use and on 4G, and im still at 90% of battery life. Tweaking the display brightness and sync options would be helpful, but they simply aren't needed anymore. Running a full day and into a late night on a single charge will be pretty stress free at this rate and have been very pleased.

This balance of performance and battery life is what this phone should have been like out of the box.

Das BAMF 1.5 Remix
leanKernel Normal v1.11
1Ghz Undervolted screen on
245Mhz Underclocked with the screen off
RUU Update in the BAMF 1.5 Remix from around 4/22
HTC Sense widgets on all home screen panels

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm running TeslaCoil right now, battery has dropped 15% in the 5 hours it's been unplugged, with moderate usage.

I just don't get why stock ROMs can't be as high-quality as what comes out of XDA.

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm throwing lean kernel on now, I've been hearing the battery life on it is amazing.

It most certainly is. I've been very surprised at how great its been considered all the bad rap the Bolt was getting for its stock battery. You'll be pleased. Just give it about 1-2 recharge cycles before you notice huge changes.

Also... use Battery Calibration (app) and read its instructions. I did it after I ROM'd to BAMF and booyah BABY!!!!

stuckhere4ever

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Yep I will battery calibrate in the morning once I've charged my battery one more time.
I ended up trying to flash the extreme, but it didn't work so I went with the normal one, and that worked fine.

Did you try any of the others to see if they worked with BAMF?

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Yep I will battery calibrate in the morning once I've charged my battery one more time.
I ended up trying to flash the extreme, but it didn't work so I went with the normal one, and that worked fine.

Did you try any of the others to see if they worked with BAMF?

I tried extreme 0.92, 1.0 and 1.1

1.1 was the one that finally booted and made it to home screen. Only to restart itself. Over and over again. 0.92 and 1.0 didn't even get past the "clouds."

Normal worked every time.

Some BOLTs just can't handle that low of voltage. Others have had good luck.

Guess ours don't have enough... BOLTage... lol

DirtMcGirt

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'll +1 on the Root+BAMF 1.5. Before root I'd go to bed with 50% batter life (with 4G and everything turned OFF) and wake up with the phone at 15%.

After BAMF I went to bed last night with phone at 57%, woke up and it was at 54%. Ain't complaining at all. Only thing different I did was root and use setcpu to conserve between 1am and 6am.