Rumor 4.0.5 in april

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm just waiting to see how many more major updates the vivid gets. I bet it won't get jellybean or whatever as fast. While us with nexus phones will get it asap either by an ota or flashing. HTC and AT&T will update next years new model (released with ICS) faster than this phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Speed isn't necessarily everything. The poing is that HTC has demonstrated that timely updates are a priority for them (as long as show stopper bugs dont come into play like they did on the Thunderbolt last year)

Maybe the Verizon Nexus will get them fast may be not (take a look at the track record for the Sprint Nexus S), but the Vivid (and Rezound) WILL get them. The original Incredible (third phone to get Froyo, launched with Ecclari and also got Froyo and Gingerbread post launch). Then look at the Nexus One (launched with Ecclair, got Froyo and Gingerbread but is now dead to updates). The Nexus name doesn't grantee anything anymore.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Speed isn't necessarily everything. The poing is that HTC has demonstrated that timely updates are a priority for them (as long as show stopper bugs dont come into play like they did on the Thunderbolt last year)

Maybe the Verizon Nexus will get them fast may be not (take a look at the track record for the Sprint Nexus S), but the Vivid (and Rezound) WILL get them. The original Incredible (third phone to get Froyo, launched with Ecclari and also got Froyo and Gingerbread post launch). Then look at the Nexus One (launched with Ecclair, got Froyo and Gingerbread but is now dead to updates). The Nexus name doesn't grantee anything anymore.

Time will tell. Just because the nexus one is finished getting ota's do sent mean its dead. Besides its two years old and the software is beyound the hardware. But i know devs are going to get ICS on it. Hell look at how far you can push the tmobile g1. The one thing the nexus name will guarantee is an unlocked boot loader and easy root and vanilla android. Also asop roms will be plentiful for two years.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
To the point though. Most android phones get one and sometimes two major updates. While the nexus line will get every update Google puts out because its aosp. No skins or anything to worry about. I hope HTC will keep this update path up. But they have a lot of phone models owned by a lot of people that still need updated. The big one right now is the resound owners.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
im using stock nexus and can thankfully state that i havent had any issues with camera yet (though i barely use it) phone hasnt restarted randomly either and i hope it doesnt...

as for the battery, it def dies down way too fast and i hope theres a fix for this.

there are times when im texting and the keyboard just disappears, i have to fully exit and go back in for it to reappear.....thats not the "bug" right? or part of it at least?

anyways. i love my phone and look forward to updates to make it nicer.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Time will tell. Just because the nexus one is finished getting ota's do sent mean its dead. Besides its two years old and the software is beyound the hardware. But i know devs are going to get ICS on it. Hell look at how far you can push the tmobile g1. The one thing the nexus name will guarantee is an unlocked boot loader and easy root and vanilla android. Also asop roms will be plentiful for two years.

To Google it is dead. They have moved on and are not updating it anymore. Your argument about custom roms can apply to ANY phone for the most part. Even the Incredible is still getting ROM's despite the lack of storage space on the device itself.

Oh and as for the unlocked Bootloader, HTC is now doing that for all of their phones in the Dev portal for those who want it, and they are adding more and more of the old phones every few weeks.

To the point though. Most android phones get one and sometimes two major updates. While the nexus line will get every update Google puts out because its aosp. No skins or anything to worry about. I hope HTC will keep this update path up. But they have a lot of phone models owned by a lot of people that still need updated. The big one right now is the resound owners.

But that's just it it DOESN'T' get every update. The Nexus S didn't get every update, and thus far the Vzw Galaxy Nexus isn't either. 4.0.3 is the baseline that Google wants OTA's to use for their phones. Would be nice if the Nexus phone had that version so they had something to compare it to and test. It doesn't. When the Nexus One came out it did, but that hasnt been the same since the Nexus S.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
im using stock nexus and can thankfully state that i havent had any issues with camera yet (though i barely use it) phone hasnt restarted randomly either and i hope it doesnt...

as for the battery, it def dies down way too fast and i hope theres a fix for this.

there are times when im texting and the keyboard just disappears, i have to fully exit and go back in for it to reappear.....thats not the "bug" right? or part of it at least?

anyways. i love my phone and look forward to updates to make it nicer.

I only get the camera problems when I unlock through the lock screen camera app. I don't get reboots at all.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
But that's just it it DOESN'T' get every update. The Nexus S didn't get every update, and thus far the Vzw Galaxy Nexus isn't either. 4.0.3 is the baseline that Google wants OTA's to use for their phones. Would be nice if the Nexus phone had that version so they had something to compare it to and test. It doesn't. When the Nexus One came out it did, but that hasnt been the same since the Nexus S.
Every x.x.x update is different for every phone. The nexus s 4g had 2.3.7 while the nexus s had 2.3.5 if I remember right. There was no difference. Just bug fixes and patches for Google wallet mostly for a phone with different radios. The big difference is the x. Updates. What I am saying is with a nexus device you can get updates for two years by flashing. Nexus is asop and that's what Google pushes. My tbolt will run asop gingerbread but with problems. Gps not working right, emails not synching right, and text message problems. That's why I was forced to flash a sense based rom so important stuff worked. I've never heard that 4.0.3 is what Google wants to work off of. If so why did they release the phone with 4.0.1. And many phones outside the USA are still running 4.0.1 stock. In a few weeks the vzw gnex will have 4.0.5. Then by the end of summer another update will be here. The vivid won't get updated to 4.0.5, 4.0.6, or 4.0.x. and won't get 4.1 or 5.0 nearly as quick as the year old gnex will.

Reactions: whiteshadow001

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Every x.x.x update is different for every phone. The nexus s 4g had 2.3.7 while the nexus s had 2.3.5 if I remember right. There was no difference. Just bug fixes and patches for Google wallet mostly for a phone with different radios. The big difference is the x. Updates. What I am saying is with a nexus device you can get updates for two years by flashing. Nexus is asop and that's what Google pushes. My tbolt will run asop gingerbread but with problems. Gps not working right, emails not synching right, and text message problems. That's why I was forced to flash a sense based rom so important stuff worked. I've never heard that 4.0.3 is what Google wants to work off of. If so why did they release the phone with 4.0.1. And many phones outside the USA are still running 4.0.1 stock. In a few weeks the vzw gnex will have 4.0.5. Then by the end of summer another update will be here. The vivid won't get updated to 4.0.5, 4.0.6, or 4.0.x. and won't get 4.1 or 5.0 nearly as quick as the year old gnex will.

Read it in the blogs it was mentioned a while back. 4.0.3 was the base that Google wanted the OEM's to use and base their skins/custom frameworks off of. 4.0.1 is the first that source code was available so everyone worked off of that, including OEMs when they started work on porting it to their hardware, but that does not mean they will release them with that.. I am well aware of what AOSP is and why it is important. 4.0.1 was what they pushed and based upon feedback they found bugs and created 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 and were happy with .3 so they said "OK OEM's use this for your phones".

https://www.google.com/search?q=And...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Last edited:

descendency

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site

There are two kinds of updates:

API levels and bug fixes.

When the API level changes, it should be embarrassing for a Nexus to not have it first.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
To Google it is dead. They have moved on and are not updating it anymore. Your argument about custom roms can apply to ANY phone for the most part. Even the Incredible is still getting ROM's despite the lack of storage space on the device itself.

Oh and as for the unlocked Bootloader, HTC is now doing that for all of their phones in the Dev portal for those who want it, and they are adding more and more of the old phones every few weeks.

Did you ever think the gnex might not have an update yet because it isn't ready? Or that it is getting 4.0.5 because 4.0.3 was never meant for the handset?

Your argument is basically that Google doesn't care about the nexus anymore because they're not giving it every point update. Here's a newsflash for you: different phones get different updates. The nexus s got every update that it needed. Just because it didn't get every .x update of 2.3 doesn't mean that it missed any of them. Every single added feature or bug fix that those phones needed was given to them. Who gives a flying fig if the ns4g ended on a different gingerbread release than the regular ns? It doesn't mean ANYTHING because they still got all of the necessary fixes

Reactions: naiveshopper

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Read it in the blogs it was mentioned a while back. 4.0.3 was the base that Google wanted the OEM's to use and base their skins/custom frameworks off of. 4.0.1 is the first that source code was available so everyone worked off of that, including OEMs when they started work on porting it to their hardware, but that does not mean they will release them with that.. I am well aware of what AOSP is and why it is important. 4.0.1 was what they pushed and based upon feedback they found bugs and created 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 and were happy with .3 so they said "OK OEM's use this for your phones".

https://www.google.com/search?q=And...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I stand corrected, hadn't seen that.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
There are two kinds of updates:

API levels and bug fixes.

When the API level changes, it should be embarrassing for a Nexus to not have it first.

What's embarrassing is the nexus s not getting full ota ICS support before other phones. If the gnex is like this I will abandon the nexus line.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I stand corrected, hadn't seen that. Besides where has 4.0.3 been. As far I know the nexus line has had 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2., 4.0.4. I don't ever remember seeing 4.0.3 anywhere except for the nexus s.

sowelie

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Do any of you guys use custom ROMs? I'm hearing a lot of complaining here about how you're having issues with your GNex. I haven't had any of the issues described...

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
What's embarrassing is the nexus s not getting full ota ICS support before other phones. If the gnex is like this I will abandon the nexus line.

Welcome to hardware fragmentation.

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
It was my understanding that 4.0.3 was designed for GSM phones. This would explain why the GSM Nexus received 4.0.3 and why the Vivid was able to move up to ICS with Sense.

qisdtech

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone found any information on whether those of us on the leaked 4.0.4 stock OTA should revert back to 4.0.2 prior to 4.0.5 being released? I am not rooted but the device is unlocked.

ScooberJake

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

Eh. That's what custom ROM's are for. OTA means nothing to me.

flybass

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
i think there is confusion about custom roms. I will be one of the first to admit that they add a ton of cool tweaks to the os. They also add a ton of scripts (with questionable benefits). However, adding a toggle pull-down is NOT the same as fixing bugs in the 4.0.x source. OTA SHOULD mean something to you as I'm sure it means a lot to the rom developers....Do you really believe that college students adding tweaks/scripts are able to produce a more bug-free version of the os than Google's engineers who WROTE it?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pumice stone