[rumor] Anyone else bummed that the LG Nexus won't have an SD card slot?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Seems like this article gets always gets linked whenever SD cards on a Nexus are discussed. But quite frankly, it is not accurate.

If you look at the reddit source for the article, the quote from Dan Morrill that the article cites as the primary reason there is no SD card is actually not even referring to that. It is referring to why they had to switch from USB Mass Storage protocol to MTP. He is talking about the way older devices had their internal memory split into two partitions, one for apps, and one for media. That setup was a pain. You may run out of space for apps while you still have plenty of room in your media partition just sitting there.

But that has been changed, and now all your internal memory will accessible by either apps or media or whatever as needed. And this is not related at all to whether or not a device has an SD slot. Whether you have one or not, you will still have the single partition for internal memory.

Dan goes on to say that the actual reason they did not include an SD slot is because it would complicate the UI. For example you would have to decide whether to save pictures to internal storage or the SD card. And he goes on to say that they are looking into better ways to handle this and implies they would likely include SD cards again sometime in the future.

Android will continue to support expandable memory. New Nexus devices showing up without an external memory card slot likely shows Google's overall stance on what they really think about external memory. That doesn't mean other Android OEMs will stop giving users the option. You have choice.

undertothenight

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm also bummed about the move to no sd card slots and the terrible trend of non removable batteries. I'm a huge power user and always try to get a phone I can use Seidio extended batteries on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pjdell

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Obviously it depends on how much internal storage there is. Even if it's not huge though, there are so many options for storing everything online and it's just dumb not to back important things up online anyways. Not sure how I feel about no removable battery though :\.

acey_zero

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Obviously it depends on how much internal storage there is. Even if it's not huge though, there are so many options for storing everything online and it's just dumb not to back important things up online anyways. Not sure how I feel about no removable battery though :\.

Yes, I have everything backed up online, including the entire contents of my SD card. But I have a limited data plan so I can't afford to access videos or music when I am away from wifi.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm also bummed about the move to no sd card slots and the terrible trend of non removable batteries. I'm a huge power user and always try to get a phone I can use Seidio extended batteries on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yet, there are phones that still have user-replaceable batteries. Again, you have a choice.

sfreemanoh

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
SD cards are BAD. i'd rather have more internal storage. why?

1. SD card storage is much slower than internal.
2. SD card storage is INSECURE. if your phone gets lost/stolen the SD card is a security hole.
1. I know, right? They're way too slow. If you can't store a HD movie on the SD card and stream it properly, it just sucks. Oh...wait...you can. Nevermind, they're fast enough.
2. Internal storage is just as insecure, unless if you purposefully enable encryption.

Plus, since they're saying the phone will possibly only come in 8 GB and 16 GB variants, that just makes the phone crap. No way could I store everything on a 16 GB device, my GNex only has 32GB's and I have well over half used. Not everyone has constant access to wifi, and not everyone still has an unlimited data plan to stream with when they aren't on wifi. Google just doesn't care anymore, they're doing what they think is best without giving a about what the consumers need or want.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Android will continue to support expandable memory. New Nexus devices showing up without an external memory card slot likely shows Google's overall stance on what they really think about external memory. That doesn't mean other Android OEMs will stop giving users the option. You have choice.

But what Android DOESN'T support is FAT32, so putting an SD card slot increases cost due to the license paid to Microsoft and extra development time to time build in support for the additional file system.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But what Android DOESN'T support is FAT32, so putting an SD card slot increases cost due to the license paid to Microsoft and extra development time to time build in support for the additional file system.

I'd assume that FAT32 support is part of the deals some of these Android OEMs have with Microsoft (thinking outside of Nexus, of course).

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not too fussed about sd slot.

As long as there's a model of the phone with at least 16gb memory, that's enough for me. I know 16gb isn't enough for everyone and yes, I'd prefer 32gb, but it seems Google want to push people to the cloud.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
2. Internal storage is just as insecure, unless if you purposefully enable encryption.

Not true. If my phone gets stolen the thief can't access my internal storage with figuring out my unlock code and unlocking my phone. But he can easily pull out the sd card, put it in a card reader, and read everything on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

zer0vette

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
i prefer no sd slot. More secure, less things that could break(not that microsd slots/card are prone to breaking).

Personally, 8gb is fine... Music in the cloud, and i'm not a huge gamer(maybe 3-4 games that take 100-500 megs. i don't see myself running out of space soon, and by the time i do, the 2014 Nexus will be coming out.

The non-removable battery is kind of iffy, but then again, i've never had a phone with a non-removable battery. Maybe i don't know what i'm missing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wengelgenene