[RUMOR] HTC Evo V 4G

Irate Iguana

Boss Status
Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: [RUMOR] HTV Evo V 4G

No they already announced no more work on that.

Not that it matters, 4g uses sooooo much battery on the Evos it's not funny. You won't want to use it except in very rare instances. On the Evo 4g, you can almost watch the battery drop when you use it.

On the other hand, it's a fantastic phone.

Many will go, and we will get a LOT more people on Virgin, but, it's not exactly like the OV has no roms.
Also, remember, while many say they will right away, this phone will be around $300, it will take many a while to get the money for it.
Gah, thats a disappointment. But I've heard Sprint's boosting their 3G speeds up a bit, and I checked on their site that they're upgrading the tower near my house soon. Back on Virgin I would get 500-700 kbps while my friend with an Epic would get 800-1000 kbps at the same time. It wasn't that horrible, but I jumped on T-Mobile for the better phone and "4G", but honestly I'm only getting 1-3 Mbps near my home. I've heard that people with the upgraded Sprint network speeds are getting MUCH better speeds up to around 2Mbps. The speeds I'm getting with T-Mobile are perfectly fine for what I want, and if I could get 1-2Mbps on Virgin after this upgrade I won't even need 4G anyway. Sounds like it might be a good time to come back :p. I just hope the Evo 3D or Evo V 4g whatever they're calling it is at a decent price...

EDIT: Oh yeah and I'm getting tired of Samsung phones. The first feature phone I had was riddled with problems. My current Sammy has a weird space between the screen and the phone... It's not bad, but I'm afraid of water seeping into the phone through it. Plus I'm not getting the ICS update for sure. Sammy said the Galaxy W won't get it, and considering that the EII4G is a variant, neither will I. My friend's Epic has had to be reset several times due to "problems", and he won't get ICS either because Sammy is lazy as hell. HTC phones tend to be amazingly well built and the Evo 3D IS getting ICS. What more needs to be said?

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. I've seen a few posts now, people saying that development for the V will die out like it's the worst thing in the world. To me, that isn't fair to the developers to say, we have a slew of gingerbread roms that are daily drivers, along with Harmonia froyo, stock roms, etc...besides ICS, what else do you want?

Many of you don't realize how good you have it on this phone.
Don't go comparing your experience with the OV as the norm (in fact it's just the opposite), and you really shouldn't complain when many of the devs finally move on.

If you think things will be bad, go look for roms for the Wildfire S or the Optimus M, U or other variants of our phone. They never had even a quarter of the roms the OV has, so when you are left with 10 great roms that are slowly aging, you are are still FAAAAR ahead.

The OV has defied a TON of odds against it to get where it is and it's not like people staying will be left in the dark. More devs will come along, granted a much slower pace, but you have a great selection already and it's not like they will stop working in the near future. The only reason some old roms are gone is due to broken links and VM changing the parts. Even if development had stopped months ago, we could still use those older roms.

If we do get the Evo 3d, it will be a serious boon because there is already a TON of roms for it, all the issues have been solved already so you won't be waiting on mms for CM7 and such (you may have to wait for ICS though).

Reactions: EnMod

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. I've seen a few posts now, people saying that development for the V will die out like it's the worst thing in the world. To me, that isn't fair to the developers to say, we have a slew of gingerbread roms that are daily drivers, along with Harmonia froyo, stock roms, etc...besides ICS, what else do you want?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Good devices take forever to die. There is still (a small amount of) active development for the g1, the lowest spec android phone I can think of. The ov has plenty of potential, I don't see it dieing anytime soon.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Many of you don't realize how good you have it on this phone.
Don't go comparing your experience with the OV as the norm (in fact it's just the opposite), and you really shouldn't complain when many of the devs finally move on.

If you think things will be bad, go look for roms for the Wildfire S or the Optimus M, U or other variants of our phone. They never had even a quarter of the roms the OV has, so when you are left with 10 great roms that are slowly aging, you are are still FAAAAR ahead.

The OV has defied a TON of odds against it to get where it is and it's not like people staying will be left in the dark. More devs will come along, granted a much slower pace, but you have a great selection already and it's not like they will stop working in the near future. The only reason some old roms are gone is due to broken links and VM changing the parts. Even if development had stopped months ago, we could still use those older roms.

If we do get the Evo 3d, it will be a serious boon because there is already a TON of roms for it, all the issues have been solved already so you won't be waiting on mms for CM7 and such (you may have to wait for ICS though).

Woah, woah, woah. We are in total agreement here. I was trying to say that it is downright rude for someone to cry about development "dying" for the OV when we have so many great, stable ROMs already. Sorry for my poorly worded posts.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Woah, woah, woah. We are in total agreement here. I was trying to say that it is downright rude for someone to cry about development "dying" for the OV when we have so many great, stable ROMs already. Sorry for my poorly worded posts.

I was trying to back up what you were saying. :)

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going to play the best of both world and all for this phone for xmas. By that time hopefully there are some stable roms and then I'll still have another 8 months to have fun with all the new development on the OV. :)

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I would get an Evo if it comes out but I am waiting for Christmas deals. Currently VM doesn't have a better all around phone. OV is definitely the little phone that can and will continue to be amazing. Alot of people thought ICS wouldn't work, but we have a slow but steady development on ICS.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

just looking in the Evo 4g forums here, it looks like they have a pretty stable ICS rom going already, so i would guess it could probalby be ported to the Virgin Evo 4g.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I think I'm going to play the best of both world and all for this phone for xmas. By that time hopefully there are some stable roms and then I'll still have another 8 months to have fun with all the new development on the OV. :)
There are already plenty of stable roms for the 3d.
I could put together Harmonia 2 for it right now with working mms.

just looking in the Evo 4g forums here, it looks like they have a pretty stable ICS rom going already, so i would guess it could probalby be ported to the Virgin Evo 4g.

The Virgin Evo 4g is NOT the Evo 4g, The Virgin model is the Evo 3d renamed (which is better in many ways). Stupid I know, but that is what they are doing. Development is not as good as the Evo 4g, but the Evo 4g probably has one of, if not the best development communities.

Also, you want to look at XDA for roms on those.

Reactions: mjs2011

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

There are already plenty of stable roms for the 3d.
I could put together Harmonia 2 for it right now with working mms.

The Virgin Evo 4g is NOT the Evo 4g, The Virgin model is the Evo 3d renamed (which is better in many ways). Stupid I know, but that is what they are doing. Development is not as good as the Evo 4g, but the Evo 4g probably has one of, if not the best development communities.

Also, you want to look at XDA for roms on those.

oh weird. i just noticed that there was a 3D as well, lol! thanks for the heads up. :)

Silence99

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone else think that if Virgin were getting the Evo 3D or the One V, it should have been announced at yesterdays Sprint/ HTC event? I was really hoping the Evo rumor was true, too...

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I think that Virgin has a real opportunity here, and if they make a big deal about releasing these high end devices, and publicize it right, their customer base will see a huge increase.

So, no, I wouldn't expect to see anything for us at a Sprint / HTC event. I think VM is planning their own fanfare.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone else think that if Virgin were getting the Evo 3D or the One V, it should have been announced at yesterdays Sprint/ HTC event? I was really hoping the Evo rumor was true, too...

Im with cole on this. Look at the VM commercials they still have Richard Branson in them even tho in the US Sprint owns VM. They are still trying to keep it a separate brand.

I think they are still trying to work out locking the devices. HTC has said they will not lock anymore devices and Im sure VM is trying furiously to find a way to keep them locked.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Im with cole on this. Look at the VM commercials they still have Richard Branson in them even tho in the US Sprint owns VM. They are still trying to keep it a separate brand.

I think they are still trying to work out locking the devices. HTC has said they will not lock anymore devices and Im sure VM is trying furiously to find a way to keep them locked.

Why are they so against hacking?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

That was a Sprint announcement.
When Sprint makes a big announcement, they want focus on them, not a side company.

Had they announced the 3d coming to Virgin that probably would have drawn more attention than the new phone. Not something you want to do when your main brand is having trouble.

Reactions: glarepate

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trexgameaz