Running in background?

joe_5962

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I know the eris is like a small computer. So what free App is out there to show me what's running in background so I can choose what to shut off so I can help my lagg time and save my battery more? I've downloaded task killer will this help or is there something else out there?

2nd ques? Also wanted to know if I download handcent for my texting how do I disable the normal texting app that came with the phone.

billbobaggins

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I know the eris is like a small computer. So what free App is out there to show me what's running in background so I can choose what to shut off so I can help my lagg time and save my battery more? I've downloaded task killer will this help or is there something else out there?

2nd ques? Also wanted to know if I download handcent for my texting how do I disable the normal texting app that came with the phone.

There is no need to use a task killer, the android system will take care of itself.
There are many threads on this. I myself used a task killer for a while, I get better results without it. When using handcent for the first time it will ask witch app you want as default.

joe_5962

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the quick info, so is there and app or function already on the eris I can use to control what runs and doesn't?

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
I'd suggest clearing your browser cache and stuff. I delete everything but passwords. That helps. Clear em as needed or as performance degrades.

Some apps also have settings to enable/disable "run at start", so browse through and see

To answer your question, go to settings>applications>menu button>filter>show running apps

Slower than a task mgr, but better for performance.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
To answer your original question any of the following do a far faster job, and if adjusted properly don't hinder overall performance at all. Personally I recommend if you do go with a task/process manager, disable any auto functions, disable any notification functions as you dont really need them. If you do this, you will notice no slow down in performance (since they are not running). Also, keep in mind there are some things you just can't kill off. Activate them only on a need to basis, kill only things you want to kill off (like LastFM that always turns itself on in the background even if you disable scrobbling). Many programs randomly turn on at boot also. But a task manager isn't a necessity, only a nerdy option if your that into your phone.

TaskManager
Task Manager v1.1.1 Application for Android | Tools
chart

ES Task Manager
EStrongs Task Manager v1.0.6.1 Application for Android | Software libraries
chart

Advanced Task Kill
Advanced Task Killer Free v1.7.0 Application for Android | Productivity
chart

All do the same thing, show you whats on and running, all are free, and there are several others those are just one's I've personally liked and probably the most popular.

Astro File Manager (beta) also have a process manager its a robust nerd application =-)
ASTRO File Manager v2.2.4 Application for Android | Productivity

This one isn't a detailed process manager but it does show you how much total CPU load there is, which is helpful if your trying to see overall how your phone is handling its load at any given time. As you kill programs off you can see the CPU load change. Its useful if your bothering with the task managers since technically your trying to kill off something thats hogging up the overall MIPS.

System Monitor
System Monitor v1.5 Application for Android | Tools
chart

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
to disable the default messaging app just remove any widget calling on it if you have one. Then disable the notification settings for the messaging app as follows:

Settings > Sound & Display > Notification Flash
- now uncheck SMS/MMS

then open the Messages app and do the following
Menu > Settings

uncheck:
Delivery Reports
Auto Retrieve
Notifications

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the quick info, so is there and app or function already on the eris I can use to control what runs and doesn't?

Yes and No. We have to get Root access before you can look at what apps run on boot and disable them from loading at start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zalauf