S20 vs S20+

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
If you were to purchase either one of these devices right now, which one would you pick and why? I like the size of the S20+, but I believe the S20 technically has a better display due to higher PPI count. And it does have a really nice panel as my wife tried it out for a short time. I was quite impressed. So I think that's what I would go with.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess it depends on what you want or are looking for. For what it is worth I would steer clear of the S20 line. There really wasn't anything about the 20+ that I liked but they have done some updates since I owned one so maybe it's better. And I know not everyone had issues with it based on reviews and testimonials online. Having said that you seem to be taken with the screen of the S20 so my actual recommendation may not be too far off. I would say check into the S20 FE. It came out close to the end of the year at a reasonable price and a lot of the issues that the other S20s had were addressed. It is slightly smaller than the 20+ with the same size battery. Many of the camera issues were addressed and the front sensor got a bump. I'd say do a little research on YouTube where you can see comparisons for almost any 2 devices. I'd bet you could find one video that compares all 3 of the S20 models.

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
If you were to purchase either one of these devices right now, which one would you pick and why? I like the size of the S20+, but I believe the S20 technically has a better display due to higher PPI count. And it does have a really nice panel as my wife tried it out for a short time. I was quite impressed. So I think that's what I would go with.

Definitely go with the 20+. I had the 20 briefly and quickly decided that the 20+ was better for me due to the screen size. The ppi count is neglible at this screen size - you will not notice a difference. The battery is also larger on the 20+ and I immediately noticed a difference between the two (4500mah to 4000mah).

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Go fro the plus. I had the regular S20, and returned it. I like more screen real estate. I have no issues with the camera's . It takes great pics.
I would be willing to bet, side by side, you would have a tough time telling the difference of the pixel counts.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Verizon. I opted for the regular s20 because I wanted a smaller phone. but only realized after I got home that vzw's s20 DOES NOT have a memory card slot. But their FE and S20+ does.

I returned it for the 20+ instead (because I needed a phone with memory card slot). But the only con of the phone is the size... It's bigger than the 20 and a little more difficult to use one hand mode to reach corner to corner.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
What is it with Verizon and their branded phones being different from everyone else?

Yeah even though honestly the S20 is small, it's pretty comfortable to hold if you ask me. I was very impressed with it. Beautiful screen and super smooth with that high refresh rate. And I like how they made both the S20 and S20+ pretty equal in terms of internal specs like both having 12Ggb of RAM. I liked the S20+ too, but something was pulling me more towards the S20. My sweet spot for how big I like my phones is 6.4 honestly like the Note 9 and S10+. Wish they still made them that size.

I might possibly be considering either of these devices to replace my Note 10+, but I am not sure yet.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What is it with Verizon and their branded phones being different from everyone else?

Yeah even though honestly the S20 is small, it's pretty comfortable to hold if you ask me. I was very impressed with it. Beautiful screen and super smooth with that high refresh rate. And I like how they made both the S20 and S20+ pretty equal in terms of internal specs like both having 12Ggb of RAM. I liked the S20+ too, but something was pulling me more towards the S20. My sweet spot for how big I like my phones is 6.4 honestly like the Note 9 and S10+. Wish they still made them that size.

I might possibly be considering either of these devices to replace my Note 10+, but I am not sure yet.
It's Verizon lol, never liked them as a carrier , had them about 15 years ago

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
It's Verizon lol, never liked them as a carrier , had them about 15 years ago

Here in NYC area, you pay for what you get. My assistant at work is on TMo, whereas I am on VZW. When she needs to be on her personal phone, she needs to walk all the way to the entrance/window of our office to make/take her call. Meanwhile the rest of us who are on VZW, we do not have that issue at all. We are deep in our bunkers and service is still at full strength.

For Tmo's price and if the service is as stable as VZW, I would gladly switch in a heart beat. But unfortunately it is not.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Here in NYC area, you pay for what you get. My assistant at work is on TMo, whereas I am on VZW. When she needs to be on her personal phone, she needs to walk all the way to the entrance/window of our office to make/take her call. Meanwhile the rest of us who are on VZW, we do not have that issue at all. We are deep in our bunkers and service is still at full strength.

For Tmo's price and if the service is as stable as VZW, I would gladly switch in a heart beat. But unfortunately it is not.
Funny you say that , im in Nj also in and out NYC my dentist is on broad street never had issues with TMobile there , ive heard some do so maybe upstate NY ?

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it has to do with how the building is constructed?

I know TMo in NYC is iffy. Deep in an office building. Or if you're underground, you'll run into issues But if you're out in the open, you're perfectly fine.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Maybe it has to do with how the building is constructed?

I know TMo in NYC is iffy. Deep in an office building. Or if you're underground, you'll run into issues But if you're out in the open, you're perfectly fine.
Haven't been underground so can't say.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
T-Mobile doesn't have the best service from my experience going deep into buildings. I work in a hospital, the basement of the hospital to be exact and I have pretty spotty service whereas most places everywhere else it works fine.

When I used to have AT&T prepaid it worked everywhere.

I am in this debate of possibly getting an S20 or S20+ even more so now that my Note 10+ is screwed up.

I don't know whether I should buy another Note 10+, or get an S20 or S20+. I really like my Note. I guess I will wait and see if it can be fixed. I also saw a used S21 Ultra at a place recently called Disc Replay for 525 dollars. That's a pretty good deal. But.... It was probably the base level of storage 128gb, which is not enough for a device with no expandable memory for me.

Last edited:

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what carrier you are currently using. But for me, I went from the S10+ to s20+. As mentioned above, I prefer the s20 because of the smaller size. But unfortunately for vzw, it didn't have an external memory card. So for that reason, I had to return it for the 20+.

If you're in same boat as me and is on VZW, then the 20+ will be your only option for external memory card. Unless for whatever carrier you're currently using and they offer external memory cards across all phones, then you won't go wrong with either 20 or 20+. I personally would opt for the 20 bc of the size.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
S10+ is a bit smaller than the S20+. I really like the size of the S10+ though honestly. I wish Samsung still made phones that were in this size range of 6.3-6.4 inches, like the Note 9 and S10+. If it wasn't so old and had faster charging speeds, honestly I would go with an S10+ lol

I am on T-Mobile. I don't buy carrier branded phones however and always go with factory unlocked as I don't want carrier bloatware or updates pushed through to my device from my carrier that can compromise my device as it has happened before.

I could get the regular S20 for around 360 I think with trade in. Not too bad. The S20+ I think is 100-150 dollars more. Don't know if it's worth it or not.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I picked up the standard S20 recently (wanted a smaller alternative to my Pixel 6 Pro) It was an open box and a bargain.

My only criticism is the battery, it seems to drop pretty quickly when you use it for anything.