Question S24+ Gmail Notifications

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I know this topic has been beat to death but........I've recently picked up an unlocked S24+ and moved from my Pixel 8. For the life of me I can't get the notifications working like my Pixel 8. Especially Gmail. I only get one notification for emails coming into the Primary label. I don't get any notifications for any other labels. I have looked at all the various fixes in forms and tech sites and even wiped the phone and setup again from scratch.

What I'm wanting is a notification for each email that comes into Gmail no matter the label like the Pixel does. Ive always stayed away from Samsung phones due to their software and I'm hoping this doesn't keep me away. It would be REALLY nice to just have S24+ hardware and Pixel software....

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello, I'm not sure what you have tried but go over some stuff.

1. Go into you Gmail app >settings>your account and tap
Where I circled you can tap for more menu but make sure they are similar to mine
7a8886fce0ae8378002e34238aa45d5c.jpg

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Also, just because this is new for Samsung with One UI 6.1, you have to turn on Notification Categories.

"Settings" > "Notifications" > "Advanced settings" > near the bottom, turn on "Manage notification categories for each app".

That is off by default, but shouldn't be.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I have checked the settings in Gmail as you noted. I do have all items checked in the "Inbox Categories" section and I "Notifications" set to All.

I also have both boxes checked in the "Inbox Notifications" area too.

I also have the "Manage notifications for categories for each app" enabled.

____________________________________________________________________________________

OOOHHH!!!! I think I found the issue. Under "Manage Labels" in Gmail under my account there are items for each label. On my Pixel these are turned on for various labels but the only one on the S24 is the Primary label, which I was getting alerts for.

I'm going to enable them like I have them on my Pixel 8 and see how that goes today. I've switched back to me Pixel so if that works Ill setup the S24 again. Its bare bones right now.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have checked the settings in Gmail as you noted. I do have all items checked in the "Inbox Categories" section and I "Notifications" set to All.

I also have both boxes checked in the "Inbox Notifications" area too.

I also have the "Manage notifications for categories for each app" enabled.

____________________________________________________________________________________

OOOHHH!!!! I think I found the issue. Under "Manage Labels" in Gmail under my account there are items for each label. On my Pixel these are turned on for various labels but the only one on the S24 is the Primary label, which I was getting alerts for.

I'm going to enable them like I have them on my Pixel 8 and see how that goes today. I've switched back to me Pixel so if that works Ill setup the S24 again. Its bare bones right now.
Sweet.. hopefully that does it.

Reactions: pheatton

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Getting your notifications to work is more art than science. I always get mine to work the way I want but I have over 25 years of computer work in my resume. For sure Google/Android has made it much harder than it should be. One setting can negate another thereby rendering a person insane just to get a simple "ding" to work! LOL
Hope you get it all worked out!

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yep with the Iphone, gmail notifications are immediate. Android deems certain emails to be less "urgent" and will be delayed up to 30 min. Just make sure that notify for every email and gmail syn is on. Also set gmail battery usage to unrestricted.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yep with the Iphone, gmail notifications are immediate. Android deems certain emails to be less "urgent" and will be delayed up to 30 min. Just make sure that notify for every email and gmail syn is on. Also set gmail battery usage to unrestricted.

Never had that happen with any email app I've used on Android since 2017. All emails are immediately pushed using exchange accounts. I've had my phones get my emails seconds before my desktop Outlook gets them.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the S24 for a few days now and the turning on alerts like I noted in Mt last post worked. Still playing with some items but I think I have it working like I want.

I'm Onda disappointed with the lack of the ambient display like on the Pixel. I really like the screen turning briefly for a new notification. I've done some reading and apparently that's not a thing on Samsung devices

Reactions: Laura Knotek

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm Onda disappointed with the lack of the ambient display like on the Pixel. I really like the screen turning briefly for a new notification. I've done some reading and apparently that's not a thing on Samsung devices

I'm used to that feature from my old BlackBerry phones.

I had found an app in the Play Store years ago called Glimpse Notifications that turns the screen on briefly for any new incoming notifications.

Still works and using it to this day on my S24+.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Never had that happen with any email app I've used on Android since 2017. All emails are immediately pushed using exchange accounts. I've had my phones get my emails seconds before my desktop Outlook gets them.
Same with me. I usually get my emails on my Android phone before desktop Outlook. It's been like that for all my Android phones and all versions of desktop Outlook since 2013.

Reactions: BerryBubbles