S4 Media Server -Drains Battery

PrincessCar

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I'm very sorry I'm not really very techy. I just checked the battery monitor on my s4 and it showed that the "media server" seems to consume more battery than the screen.. Media server takes about 32 percent while the screen is 31. Pardon my ignorance but could someone help explain what media server is?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I'm very sorry I'm not really veryntechy. I just checked my the battery monitor on my s4 and it showed that the "media server" seems to consume more battery than the screen.. Media server takes about 32 percent while the screen is 31. Pardon my ignorance but can somene help explain what media server is?

Settings>battery>then click on media server. It will state exactly which programs fall under that category.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

EaziG

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I've had a similar issue with my galaxy s4. But I managed to solve the issue, here's what worked for me:

First, like you, now and then my phone would have dramatic battery drain while it was 'sleeping' in my pocket. After looking at the battery information, it stated that the media server was the main battery drain.
I used an app called 'Wake lock detector' to see more details about which apps were using the battery when the phone was supposed to be idle. It came up with 'Samsung Push Service' as being used over and over for long periods.

I went to the settings, and applications and under the 'all' section, I found and disabled the Samsung Push Service.
To be honest I was not sure what this service did, but it has had no impact on my phones performance, and the phone still pushes through al the necessary information I need like google services and any app updates etc.
But the important thing is that it has completely solved the battery drain issue for me.
Now I can charge the device to 100% in the morning and around lunchtime it will happily still be up around 90% after normal use.

It's definatley worth a try, but you could also look into the wake lock detector app. Since it gives a lot of very useful information.

Another small bit of info I found about the media server is that it is apparently scanning through the external SD card. So if you have a ton of stuff on your sad card this will cause even more battery drain because the phone is for some reason spending a lot of time checking the card.
Again, after turning off the samsung push service, I have had no issue with this and the sd card is as perfect as ever.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I've had a similar issue with my galaxy s4. But I managed to solve the issue, here's what worked for me:

First, like you, now and then my phone would have dramatic battery drain while it was 'sleeping' in my pocket. After looking at the battery information, it stated that the media server was the main battery drain.
I used an app called 'Wake lock detector' to see more details about which apps were using the battery when the phone was supposed to be idle. It came up with 'Samsung Push Service' as being used over and over for long periods.

I went to the settings, and applications and under the 'all' section, I found and disabled the Samsung Push Service.
To be honest I was not sure what this service did, but it has had no impact on my phones performance, and the phone still pushes through al the necessary information I need like google services and any app updates etc.
But the important thing is that it has completely solved the battery drain issue for me.
Now I can charge the device to 100% in the morning and around lunchtime it will happily still be up around 90% after normal use.

It's definatley worth a try, but you could also look into the wake lock detector app. Since it gives a lot of very useful information.

Another small bit of info I found about the media server is that it is apparently scanning through the external SD card. So if you have a ton of stuff on your sad card this will cause even more battery drain because the phone is for some reason spending a lot of time checking the card.
Again, after turning off the samsung push service, I have had no issue with this and the sd card is as perfect as ever.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. I too just recently checked and for some reason my media server was up 25% and that kept my phone awake for 4 hours. After I installed the wakelock detector, for me when I look at it, it looks like I get the number 1013 with 4 h. 50 min. says it's a System (media) Audioout_2 (not sure what this really means.

PrincessCar

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for this!!! You're such a big help!! :)

PeterS4

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi ... I'm having same problem as Princesscar - my battery shows Mediaserver using 40% and Screen at 24%. Phone is only a few weeks old but I'm unable to get through the day without taking the charger to work - very disappointed. Don't know what mediaserver is but while following EaziG instructions, (big thanks to you) found all apps, (including Push Service) running with "show notifications" box ticked. Have switched off notifications for all but two out of 37, (kept WhatsApp and McAfee security on). Chickened out in disabling Push because phone asks if I want to replace it with 'factory version' and if I decline it cancels the disable request - any ideas on that? Will report back if shutting notifications improves things. Also was advised to select the Network Service I use to stop phone constantly searching for available networks. Noticed an improvement after this. Did it by Settings / Connections / More Networks / Mobile Networks and selected my contracted provider (Etisalat).

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi ... I'm having same problem as Princesscar - my battery shows Mediaserver using 40% and Screen at 24%. Phone is only a few weeks old but I'm unable to get through the day without taking the charger to work - very disappointed. Don't know what mediaserver is but while following EaziG instructions, (big thanks to you) found all apps, (including Push Service) running with "show notifications" box ticked. Have switched off notifications for all but two out of 37, (kept WhatsApp and McAfee security on). Chickened out in disabling Push because phone asks if I want to replace it with 'factory version' and if I decline it cancels the disable request - any ideas on that? Will report back if shutting notifications improves things. Also was advised to select the Network Service I use to stop phone constantly searching for available networks. Noticed an improvement after this. Did it by Settings / Connections / More Networks / Mobile Networks and selected my contracted provider (Etisalat).

You might also try Snapdragon's Battery Guru app, which controls app syncing.

EaziG

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, sorry for the late reply,

the show notifications option only controls whether the app is allowed to show an icon in your status bar at the top of the phone. So it's unlikely that this will effect the battery life, but give it a go anyhow, and let us know how it goes.

yes, when you disable apps the Galaxy S4 will ask if you want to replace it with the factory version, this is simply because Samsung does not allow you to completely remove the app from your device.
If you select disable, this is what will happen:
It will ask you to replace it with the factory version, this basically will remove all updates to that app, putting the app back to its default version and then it will be disabled.
If you ever want to enable it again, it's very simple. You just scroll to the very bottom of that list where you will find all the disabled apps. Just change it back to enabled, next time you visit the google play store it will show that the app has updates available. click to update the app and it'll be all back to normal again.
Keeping this in mind, you can disable apps without worrying about deleting them, and any apps can be restored very easily.

Hope this helps.
EaziG

dirtyrunner

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Killing Samsung Push Service seems to have done it for me as well. It started after I installed a 32GB SD card so that fits with your description as well. Thanks for posting that. :)

mitchok

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. This helped solve the media server battery drain. It was driving me crazy. I have a 64 gb Sd card installed. Media server was consuming 20-30 percent of battery with the phone just sitting there. Also found that turning reading mode on solved a problem with screen draining battery. Was having problems after recent att update. My wife and daughter have same phone, bought same day, also att. I wasn't making it to lunch on battery after full charge. They were having no problem at all. One difference is they had reading mode on and mine was off. I don't get why reading mode being off would cause a problem, but i suspect it had to do with the screen not timing out properly. Software bug maybe??? I would find my screen on for no reason even though it has a 1 min timeout set. Turning reading mode on solved the problem. So between the media server (Samsung Push) disabled and reading mode now fixed, my battery life is back to normal. It went all day today with only 20 percent drain. The samsung guy at best buy had no clue. Thanks again.

84guy

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Had similar problem. Turned out to be a game called Township. Nothing showed that it was the problem, not even the Wake lock detector. Just started closing apps till the media server timer wouldn't go up. Force closed Township and the timer stopped. Reopened and timer started and force closed again and timer stopped lol dunno what it was doing looking at my stuff or just a bug accessing it's data

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi, sorry for the late reply,

the show notifications option only controls whether the app is allowed to show an icon in your status bar at the top of the phone. So it's unlikely that this will effect the battery life, but give it a go anyhow, and let us know how it goes.

yes, when you disable apps the Galaxy S4 will ask if you want to replace it with the factory version, this is simply because Samsung does not allow you to completely remove the app from your device.
If you select disable, this is what will happen:
It will ask you to replace it with the factory version, this basically will remove all updates to that app, putting the app back to its default version and then it will be disabled.
If you ever want to enable it again, it's very simple. You just scroll to the very bottom of that list where you will find all the disabled apps. Just change it back to enabled, next time you visit the google play store it will show that the app has updates available. click to update the app and it'll be all back to normal again.
Keeping this in mind, you can disable apps without worrying about deleting them, and any apps can be restored very easily.

Hope this helps.
EaziG

True! 👍😃

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Gertonia

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for sharing. It worked very well for me. Battery was drained in 4 hours with light use and the phone was hot all time. Now it lasts almost 2 days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delgerjargal