S6 has no HDMI, MHL or other video output

Kookie Mon

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The wireless alternatives for screen mirroring doesn't seem to work either. I've tried using the Windows Wireless Display Adapter and Chromecast to do Screen Mirroring. Neither of them worked. I tried with a friend's S6 and it was unable to connect to the WDA nor Chromecast. I'm also missing MHL. :(

robsy1

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't require it. I actually use an all cast receiver to connect my S6 to my pioneer AppRadio

Could you provide some details as at the moment I'm having to use my old htc one x connected to my appradio. This in turn receives data tethered to my s6. I would love to just get full mirroring of the s6.

Thanks

redhat1001

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about your pioneer appradio setup, but with my setup posted above, I connect my S6 through the miracast device. Which is connected to my hdmi input on my Kenwood head unit. This provides a full mirroring.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about your pioneer appradio setup, but with my setup posted above, I connect my S6 through the miracast device. Which is connected to my hdmi input on my Kenwood head unit. This provides a full mirroring.
Right, you just hook the S6 up to the all cast receiver by using the screen mirroring toggle. It's very easy to do

Rui Fragoso

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Very disappointed with the s6 edge that without being informed I bought and now I can't use my smartphone projector. On all the great marketing should have been a major factor to inform the one's that are believers on the future is now but seems like going backwards.

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I too have a Kenwood head unit that I used to use with my HTC M8 very well. Loss of MHL on the S6 ended that. You say you have a miracast device that is working well with the Kenwood HDMI input and the S6? Please let me know which device you are using as I would like to have this app mode work again on my Kenwood.

Thanks.

lutin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Had to make a compromise on having no expandable storage and the battery life, but I have to say the most annoying compromise of all might be the lack of MHL.
I regularly spend weekends in a house which has no wifi, but does have good 3G coverage. With my past phones it was so easy to hook up the phone with a cable to the TV and start streaming Netflix.

It's very annoying that this is no longer available and there isn't really a viable alternative.

Kookie Mon

May 6, 2015
Visit site
So I was finally able to figure out a workaround with screen casting to the Windows Wireless Display Adapter. It requires having the Developer Options enabled on your phone. You can enable Developer Options by going to 'Settings > About Device' and tap on 'Model Number' seven times. Once Develop Options has been enabled, go to 'Settings > Developer Options', and enable it if it is not already on. Scroll down to 'Authorize wireless display devices' and enable it. Once you have done that, a menu should appear when you try to enable "Screen Mirroring". There is a setting called "WPS Configuration" which has these options; WPC, Keypad, Display. Cycle between the three options and select your dongle device until one works.

Eric Leitch

May 18, 2015
Visit site
I just sent back the S6 due to this option being removed. I didn't spend $600.00 on my Kenwood head unit to not be able to connect my phone to it. In California it's not against the law to operate your phone thru your car stereo.

:-$

lutin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So I was finally able to figure out a workaround with screen casting to the Windows Wireless Display Adapter. It requires having the Developer Options enabled on your phone. You can enable Developer Options by going to 'Settings > About Device' and tap on 'Model Number' seven times. Once Develop Options has been enabled, go to 'Settings > Developer Options', and enable it if it is not already on. Scroll down to 'Authorize wireless display devices' and enable it. Once you have done that, a menu should appear when you try to enable "Screen Mirroring". There is a setting called "WPS Configuration" which has these options; WPC, Keypad, Display. Cycle between the three options and select your dongle device until one works.

Does the windows wireless display adapter require wifi or does it communicate with the phone directly.
What other HDMI adapter type devices would this work with?

Kookie Mon

May 6, 2015
Visit site
WDA directly connects to the phone. It does not require a wifi network to set it up. The only issue I had was the inability to stream a video onto the phone and casting it to the screen at the same time. The screen cast would freeze and eventually disconnect. It works fine with media that is already stored on the phone though. Alas, wireless screen casting does not work nearly as well as MHL. Due to the audio and video being streamed separately there is a slight lag in the audio which requires adjusting the audio delay in your app to compensate for. I really wish Samsung hadn't removed MHL support as it worked perfectly. :p

juanjg115

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Kookie:
I tried your suggestion and finally got my Galaxy S6 to connect to the Windows Wireless Display adapter. However, when I played video, it was skipping frames in the TV. Not much of a problem with the voice lag, at least not that noticeable. Also, when I tried another day to reconnect again, it was not able to unless I cycled thru the different options in the WPS configuration again. I cannot seem to select the right options to connect consistently every time. Do you have this problem? What configuration settings do you have that work consistently?

Kookie Mon

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The Galaxy S6 uses WiFi to connect to the WDA, I'm assuming 8011.g based on the channel options provide. Channels 1, 6, and 11, are the standard channels used by 8011.g wireless routers. This means that you will likely get interference from neighbors who are using a wireless router. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about this. Every router cannot broadcast at the same time so there is a small "wait" state that occurs as each router broadcasts a signal which you don't normally notice over your router/computer connection. This is a different matter between your phone and WDA which results in lost frames or lag.

As far as connecting your phone to your WDA, you just have to keep cycling through the different options until it works. Sometimes you will have to cycle through all three options several times.

WPC > Keypad > Display > WPC > Keypad > ...

I want to provide more information that I have been told by several different Samsung representatives. First, the Galaxy S6 is supposed to support an HDMI adapter and will likely have a product released by Samsung in the future. The Galaxy S6 is NOT supposed to work with the WDA and the solution I provided is a work-around. The Samsung representative told me that the WDA is crippled by the phone itself and he was surprised that I was able to get it to work. At the moment, the Galaxy S6 only officially screen mirrors with recent Samsung TVs. I would say those produced within the past two or three years.

MaLLoThaPrince

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Guys the S6 do indeed have MHL.. You just need the new MHL 3.0 which is available on Samsung.Com, the S6 does not use the MHL 2.0 like the S5 and Note 4. Maybe I missed someone already mentioning this, but I'm just trying to help

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao