Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Hate Touch Whiz, but I like this phone.....HALP!?!?!?!?

NikzzM

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Hate Touch Whiz, but I like this phone.....HALP!?!?!?!?

Sure thing the ROM is great and the thread I posted includes the instructions on how to flash it. And if you need help the thread is very noob friendly. Just make sure to read and use the search on the thread because it angers a lot of people when the same question is asked over and over and could've been avoided by simply reading or searching.

The S Pen is very compatible with it. In fact... The Dev has improved the S Pen as well, giving it a more 1:1 ratio.

Thats great to hear. Another noob question. this was for tmobile right? will it also work on the exynos model of Note 4?

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Yikes, you told me! You go you!

Enjoyed this thread a lot, but gotta wonder, are moderators OFF on weekends? Have seen them take down far less acerbic banter. If this makes it past "Monday Morning", Slave, gotta ask you, have you seen this trick (not sure if its a trick per se, so don't go bitin' my head off if you have!) Switching between Launcher with zero lag and never clearing default? (Personally by not disabling it altogether offers the ability to REALLY set it up the way you want.. Touchwiz crap when you want it, replacement when you don't- INSTANTLY)

I really hope you DO get this phone...I think the Pros will DEF outweigh the cons, and if not, there's always that, "pesky lil $35.00 restocking fee" option
:-$

BTC

<span style="color:#0000ff;"><em>

epic4grooted

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

I came from the note 3 and love my note 4 sounds like you need some coffee or something if you look for something to hate in anything you will find it look for the things you like and you will find them too

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

knowledge_6

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

regardless of who is right and wrong and who knows more or not my post will involve answering your question about the Note 4... besides the Moto devices u had i had the same phones..
S2, S3, Note 3, N5, LG G3......

I found some issues like u did with these devices... But the reception issue i didn't really have an issue with cause Rogers is pretty good... and i put AT&T ROMs on my S3 with different improved radio from various people that worked with Rogers... Battery life i couldn't give two craps about just as long as it lasts me 16 hours... with the S3 and N5 that was no possible... i had to charge at work or have an emergency battery on me or a USB portable charge pack..

Note 3 lasted me all day no problem... LG G3 it would depend on the day but usually it would last me all day... stock out of the box it was laggy... all around.. slap on Nova Launcher with ART enabled and some other tweaks you could get it running pretty smooth.. but i think (i'm not sure) the GPU and the 801 SD chip was not very well suited for the QHD Screen... some games lagged... the simple PIANO TILES game where you tap the black tiles as they move down speeding up would lag and glitch and actually make me lose the game.. the notification bar pull down was laggy for me as well.. but those bezels on that phone.. WOW..

Note 4... it's touchwiz... if u don't like it then ur gonna have a tough time... it is the best version of TW to date with some Lollipop in there (i.e recent apps) and mostly materially designed, but it lags at some parts... i.e. after you take a picture and u want to preview it in the gallery.. Samsung's Gallery app SUCKS.... it takes a significant amount of time..i've downloaded quickpic for my gallery of choice..... i've had the keyboard lag on me when i am doing some browser and other tasks together.. but overall the device is fast! I dislike Apple but u gotta give credit to how smooth and fast things open on iOS... i have nova launcher on there now and i am Rooted and disabled some apps... the battery lasts all day just fine... i use my device a decent amount... i have wifi turned on all day, i have BT turned on all day with my moto 360 paired to it ... i have my brightness set to 100% at all times... i watch movies on the train (1hr commute one way) or i surf social networks.. my reception has been amazing.. no dropped calls and with Rogers' new LTE-A network and faster download speeds i've seen a TAD bit of improvement in my office and it actually works in the elevator.. i get about 75-90mb/sec download speeds in good areas and about 45mb/s in fair areas..
the screen is amazing! it's bright.. it's big... and everything looks crisp.... the speaker sound is OKAY.. but can't compare to an M8 or anything with dual speakers... the BIGGEST downside to this device has to do with accessories.. you won't be able to find a tempered glass screen to fit the device properly.. it's very hit and miss... and most people have missed.. like me ... the case department is ok.. but that metal chamfered edge has a very high chance of getting scratched even while in a case...

so touchwiz is much much better.. but it's still touchwiz.. you will find it lags and that it's very deeply integrated into the device for most of the features... but overall it's fast but still expect some minor lags here and there...

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

It is obvious the OP does not like Samsung phones, and I'm not sure why he is even considering getting one. From what I've read Motorola phones have some of the best antennas, so maybe he should head over to the Motorola forum instead of insulting the users in the Samsung forum.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

It is obvious the OP does not like Samsung phones, and I'm not sure why he is even considering getting one. From what I've read Motorola phones have some of the best antennas, so maybe he should head over to the Motorola forum instead of insulting the users in the Samsung forum.

Whoa! No! I didn't insult anyone! I haven't said anything about anyone except for VJ, and I only said his opinion doesn't count. I have received lots of help here, and thanked quite a few people. Why is it insulting because I hate Samsung? I haven't had a negative thing to say about anyone, except for VJ.

As to why I am here, I have said it a few times. The S pen, the form factor and that gorgeous screen are great. If I can get past the ugly bits, which I think I can, based on what the people here have said, then I can get this phone.

Wow.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

How is the Note 4? Does it still have that special brand of Touch Crap lag? Can you finally shut off all of that stupid Samsuck bloat? The S3 had a terrible radio also, have the Galaxy radios improved? Is there a base android ROM I can put on this thing and remove TW completely? Has there been any rumors of a GPE version?

Thanks guys.

Sounds like you want:
1. Base Android experience
2. Great battery
3. No lag
4. Great radio

That sounds like the Moto Droid Turbo to me.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

As to why I am here, I have said it a few times. The S pen, the form factor and that gorgeous screen are great.

If they're so great, enough with the Samsung bashing. Okay, so you had a bad experience with Samsung software TWO YEARS ago with the S3. I get it. I too had a bad experience with my S3. I had to take a break from Samsung and got the Nexus 5 which I absolutely loved, but Samsung knocked it out of the park with the Note 4 so here I am, back with a Samsung device. I still didn't like TW, so I put on the Google Now Launcher. If that's something you want to try, DO IT! But for the love, enough with the 'Samsuck' hipster comments. If Samsung is so terrible, don't buy their crap! If you're finding yourself interested in their products even after your terrible experience with the S3, then clearly they aren't as terrible as you're saying they are.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like you want:
1. Base Android experience
2. Great battery
3. No lag
4. Great radio

That sounds like the Moto Droid Turbo to me.

You missed something pretty huge in his wishlist, and the reason a lot of people get the Note. The S pen.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

You missed something pretty huge in his wishlist, and the reason a lot of people get the Note. The S pen.

Wasn't mentioned in the original post. Slave (the original poster) finally mentions he "loves the S pen" in post #33. I didn't see that when I made my response. My bad.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Okay, I left Samsuck after the Galaxy S3. Until then, all of my Android life had been Galaxy phones. I got the Moto X, never looked back.

Since the Moto X, I went to a N5. The weak camera, weak signal and weak battery swore me away from the Nexus 5, the only problem, base Android is OUTSTANDING.

I loathe TW, I hate the extreme bloatware Samsung puts on these phones. I hate the Samsung App store, music store, storage services, etc. Until I saw a buddies Note 3, I would have never conscidered coming back.

Fast forward to the Nexus 6. Big phone with a substandard screen, that gets 3.5 hours of battery time, and opens apps slow.... No. The Moto X is big, with a tiny battery also. I don't know what is going on, but it looks like Samsung has clawed its way back.

No HTC, as I hate Sense and Blinkfeed more than I hate Apple. LG's button lay out is ugly, and stupid, plus they lost me with that poor Nexus 5.

How is the Note 4? Does it still have that special brand of Touch Crap lag? Can you finally shut off all of that stupid Samsuck bloat? The S3 had a terrible radio also, have the Galaxy radios improved? Is there a base android ROM I can put on this thing and remove TW completely? Has there been any rumors of a GPE version?

Thanks guys.

How can you even begin to make such a statement when the only people who have even seen a Nexus 6 in the flesh are a small cadre of reviewers and even they probably have pre-production models not running the release version of Android 5?

fragment137

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Sorry for not reading the whole thread but there was a hell of a lot of flaming and un-related stuffs going on :/

OP: I'm sorry if I missed this but did you look at the LG G3? I read that you had a bad experience with the Nexus 5 (To be honest I know a good number of people who've had similar experiences as you) but I have to say that LG has really stepped it up in terms of their build quality (Just my opinion though).

Sometimes it IS just the -phone- that's bad, not necessarily the manufacturer as a whole. Though I have to lean towards your side with Samsung. I know people have had good experiences with them, but I personally can't stand TouchWiz, and the build quality of Samsung is a bit lackluster in my opinion.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Sorry for not reading the whole thread but there was a hell of a lot of flaming and un-related stuffs going on :/

OP: I'm sorry if I missed this but did you look at the LG G3? I read that you had a bad experience with the Nexus 5 (To be honest I know a good number of people who've had similar experiences as you) but I have to say that LG has really stepped it up in terms of their build quality (Just my opinion though).

Sometimes it IS just the -phone- that's bad, not necessarily the manufacturer as a whole. Though I have to lean towards your side with Samsung. I know people have had good experiences with them, but I personally can't stand TouchWiz, and the build quality of Samsung is a bit lackluster in my opinion.

That has definitely been a valid criticism of Samsung in the past. You should probably check out the Note 4 for yourself. It's a lot harder to claim bad stuff about TW or build quality with this device.

fragment137

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

That has definitely been a valid criticism of Samsung in the past. You should probably check out the Note 4 for yourself. It's a lot harder to claim bad stuff about TW or build quality with this device.

Granted I haven't had a lot of hands-on time with the Note 4 specifically, but I do have a Galaxy Tab S at home. It's a great tablet (definitely improved over previous generations) but TouchWiz still bugs me. I haven't been bothered enough to change it to another launcher though.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

Lol! I don't need positive criticism. I got what I needed, several people where very helpful.

I will not stop saying Samsuck, nor will I say anything positive about Touch Whiz.

I do like this phone now, and the helpful posts solidified that. None of that feel good will go toward Samsuck though.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Okay, I left Samsuck after the Galaxy S3. Until then, all of my Android life had been Galaxy phones. I got the Moto X, never looked back.

Since the Moto X, I went to a N5. The weak camera, weak signal and weak battery swore me away from the Nexus 5, the only problem, base Android is OUTSTANDING.

I loathe TW, I hate the extreme bloatware Samsung puts on these phones. I hate the Samsung App store, music store, storage services, etc. Until I saw a buddies Note 3, I would have never conscidered coming back.

Fast forward to the Nexus 6. Big phone with a substandard screen, that gets 3.5 hours of battery time, and opens apps slow.... No. The Moto X is big, with a tiny battery also. I don't know what is going on, but it looks like Samsung has clawed its way back.

No HTC, as I hate Sense and Blinkfeed more than I hate Apple. LG's button lay out is ugly, and stupid, plus they lost me with that poor Nexus 5.

Thanks guys.

What is Samsuck? what do they make? :p

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

IDK what phone OP is talking about because i never heard of Samsuck before.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Granted I haven't had a lot of hands-on time with the Note 4 specifically, but I do have a Galaxy Tab S at home. It's a great tablet (definitely improved over previous generations) but TouchWiz still bugs me. I haven't been bothered enough to change it to another launcher though.

I like Samsung devices but for Tablets God the Tab S 10.5 is bad ... so laggy and apps dont even work which i blame on the Exynos home cooked CPU they use which is terrible imo. Sold it and couldn't be happier going back to the iPad. Got around 2-3 hours of Screen time with the Note 10.1 2014 and around 4 hours with the Tab s 10.5. iPad Air 2 with LTE I average around 7-10 hours of actually using it.

Google Now Launcher is pretty amazing and loved it since my brief time with the Nexus 5

RebDovid

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

I, too, have a T-Mobile Note 4 running FirekatN4 v.4 (and Nova rather than TW). My N4 is quite speedy, except that recent apps does lag. The lag seems to be a function of how many recent apps there are. If that's a deal-breaker for some, so be it. For me, it's a rather small minus weighed against many, many positives.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174