Samsung Galaxy S4 battery life problems

Ninjus

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The antivirus u have its battery killer remove it becuse not many virus exist on android

I am referring to the graph because if you can observe it, the battery percentage rose up again with out plugging it with a charger. There is unusual pattern in it because normally the graph should only be in declining pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:

ellisk500

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
HI,

I had the same problem as you when I first got my s4. I thought there was a problem with the phone so returned it to no avail. I tried all the BS with the battery monitors and turning everything off etc. I now leave Bluetooth, wifi, gps, screen on high, all the gestures on etc and I still have about 50% by the end of the day.

So, after researching everywhere, I found that the problem was google. It is constantly trying to connect and send location etc. I kid you not, all I did was go to settings>more>location services> and turn off wi fi and mobile network location. THEN go to settings> accounts> google> location settings> turn off.

That was it! I tried this on another friend's phone and it solved his battery issues too. The only catch with this is if you want to use maps, you have to turn it back on.

Let me know if this works for you, I'm curious to know.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've did this too about a month ago and noticed my battery life on both my S4 and Note 8 is MUCH better. I maps today and it worked fine with location settings disabled.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

Ninjus

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I'll give it a shot and tell you the results but I think I might ask for a replacement battery tomorrow at Samsung and I hope they will replace it. Btw thanks man.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about disabling location service.
If I do, my weather app and other apps that I constantly need won't work. :eek:
I normally have GPS off anyway.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Here is a great article, on apps that have "no sleep" bugs.
'No-sleep energy bugs' drain smartphone batteries

"The researchers studied 187 Android applications that were found to contain Android's explicit power control APIs, called "wakelocks." Of the 187 apps, 42 were found to contain errors - or bugs - in their wakelock code...The glitch has been found in interactive apps, such as phone applications and services for telephony on Android that must work even though the user isn't touching the phone. The app may fail to engage the sleep mode after the interactive session is completed."

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Now they need to come up with a way (an app maybe?) to stop this bugs! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
So where's the list of apps with the bugs? The article doesn't list them at all.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 8.0 via the Android Central App

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Now they need to come up with a way (an app maybe?) to stop this bugs! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Well, they have the detection down. That's the first step.

"To detect bugs in the applications, the researchers modified a tool called a compiler, which translates code written in computer languages into the binary code that computers understand. The tool they developed adds new functionality to the compiler so that it can determine where no-sleep bugs might exist.

"The tool analyzes the binary code and automatically and accurately detects the presence of the no-sleep bugs," Midkiff said."

hpmini2009

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Found that apps I disabled and cleared cache and everything else came back after doing a power off/on. This not the way apps on S4 Active should function???

hpmini2009

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S4 has the cheapest of hardwares, be aware of it and never put it on charge before sleeping, there are 4 cases reported of Samsung Galaxy S4 caught fire and cumbusted during charging. 2 Cases aloe in one month. Last two cases have been reprted in Pakistan and UK from authenticated sources.
:mad::mad::mad:

Those are usually battery problems, not phone hardware. Most times traced to a cheap aftermarket or even a counterfeit battery. Apple, Dell, Kyocera, many other mfgrs have had to deal with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited by a moderator:

qxr

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Tend to agree with the battery issue snd counterfeit parts. Do not kid yourself products get opened and resealed everywhere, esp. in certain areas of the world. Not to mention, not the most stable of powergrids in Pakistan, just saying.

Posted via Android Central App

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Those are usually battery problems, not phone hardware. Most times traced to a cheap aftermarket or even a counterfeit battery. Apple, Dell, Kyocera, many other mfgrs have had to deal with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Tend to agree with the battery issue snd counterfeit parts. Do not kid yourself products get opened and resealed everywhere, esp. in certain areas of the world. Not to mention, not the most stable of powergrids in Pakistan, just saying.

Posted via Android Central App

Definitely agree! :thumbup::D

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Personally to me it's not entirely anyones fault as we all have become educated over time on how to maintain a better battery life as we use these smartphones but for those who are not familiar or just simply don't want to get involved it's a pain.

I would think since I have to have all the fancy stuff running I just needed to just simply buy an expansion battery mainly because I don't have access to plug my phone in at work or school all the time... Any issue I have with drainage for me that I have found is usually poorly coded 3rd party apps and with the bluetooth and trying to constantly connect to GPS and the mobile networks or a wifi signals.

So basically if I were having battery issues I would just either buy an Expansion battery or shut everything off when I am not going to have an outlet handy or even poor signals... I also should or could just have an extra pre-charged battery handy.

Either way for me at home or work I have a plug and and enjoy running all the eyecandy apps these new phones are capable of producing otherwise I would have stayed with a cheap piece of crap phone!

Gayu

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought S4 in June. Now my battery died and I am replacing it. I have never over charged my phone except during nights when I used to put the charge on and sleep. But the shop I went for getting a new battery said that my battery got bulged. While using my mobile daily I just have mobile data on. None of the other features like Wi-Fi, GPS or the special features of S4 are kept on. I turned on them only when needed and I clear / close the apps when I finished using them i.e by long pressing the home button. Th phone was awesome in all of its features. Except the heating problem and this battery drain. Can someone explain what might have caused my battery to die and how to maintain charge-battery stuffs . So that I maintain well with my new battery next time

Kerry Bolic

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I started noticing that my phone kept shutting off mainly when i was scrolling through my list of app, texting or scrolling on facebook. if I plugged it into my charger it and switched it on again it would show that the battery had 62% left. Left it to charge to 100% and then tried using it again was ok for a short time but then the same thing. I had noticed at one point before all of this started that the back of my phone was extremely hot.
I contacted customer service here in Australia when i saw on this forum that many others were having the same problem. The 5 different people I spoke to over about a week gave no assistance other than to tell me to do a factory reset or take it to my nearest service centre (3,500klms away). I did the reset and made no difference. I contacted the company who I purchased the phone though and I told them that I believed it was the battery that was the issue. She was going to send me a replacement and then decided that I should send her the phone and she would send me a new phone instead. This was also a long distance transaction so I went to a local phone supplier in my very remote town and asked for a new battery or if they could test the one I had. Immediately upon taking out the old battery and comparing it to the new one you could see that it had swollen significantly.
Since changing the battery I have had no issues at all. It stays charged for at least a day if not longer and I restored all of the same apps that I had on my phone previous to the reset. The only thing I did do was to disable the Samsung Push which was a suggestion made in a forum.

Try and check your battery and see if it has swollen as well is my suggestion. When I asked Samsung to cover the battery under warranty and send me a new one they wanted me to send them my phone as well as the faulty battery. I don't have an alternate phone to use so this won't be happening. I will pursue them until they send me another battery and they check to see if the batch of batteries that we all have is the root of our problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elizabethstephen