Samsung Galaxy S4 - Kies Sync Problems after Latest firmware updates! "unsupported device alert"

MalkieM

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Kies Sync Problems after Latest firmware updates! "unsupported device alert"

I am very happy to hear that you have had success. I have tried everything you said and more and still mine won't sync. It gets to 15%, stops for a while then reports error. Would be interested to hear if others are now successful and is it only me that cannot sync or what?

TOBusa

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Kies Sync Problems after Latest firmware updates! "unsupported device alert"

I am very happy to hear that you have had success. I have tried everything you said and more and still mine won't sync. It gets to 15%, stops for a while then reports error. Would be interested to hear if others are now successful and is it only me that cannot sync or what?

Depends what you want to sync, for calendar I use outlook.com and that works real times and perfect on outlook 2010, android phone and iPad. Can put appointment on any device and shows on the others

breadbuy

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

After DAYS of accumulated research & efforts to sync my Outlook 2010 calendar and contacts I gave up.(S4 with Kies) I tested 3 products that are not free and finally paid $24 for Akruto Sync. There is no cloud, no convoluted set up, etc. Others I tried were CompanionLink (it was okay), Andorid Sync (don't bother), Androidpcsync (only USB sync).
The fee is cheap compared to the frustration of spending hours and hours over 3 months trying to get this #**# phone and software to work as advertised. Where are the reviewers that gave this POS such glowing reports? A retraction or caveat should be added to those misleading publications.

And no, I did not download the latest Kies software. I've spent enough time on that!
Small wonder that Apple products are so successful - they seem to WORK without being a programmer or software mechanic!

TOBusa

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

After DAYS of accumulated research & efforts to sync my Outlook 2010 calendar and contacts I gave up.(S4 with Kies) I tested 3 products that are not free and finally paid $24 for Akruto Sync. There is no cloud, no convoluted set up, etc. Others I tried were CompanionLink (it was okay), Andorid Sync (don't bother), Androidpcsync (only USB sync).
The fee is cheap compared to the frustration of spending hours and hours over 3 months trying to get this #**# phone and software to work as advertised. Where are the reviewers that gave this POS such glowing reports? A retraction or caveat should be added to those misleading publications.

And no, I did not download the latest Kies software. I've spent enough time on that!
Small wonder that Apple products are so successful - they seem to WORK without being a programmer or software mechanic!

Great post, I thought I was the only person pulling my hair out! I wish I spent only a few days, took about a month to get it to work.

FYI the kies 3 does work now, and one big big thing, you can back up your phone settings, and after getting everthung working and not being able to view the settings, that is handy back up (why you can view the details of each account is very strange)

lizzydizzy

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

try downloading the program AirDroid- you can upload media and such to your phone without needing kies

Caleb Crawford

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

I just finally was able to sync my S4 to my Outlook Calendar. I was being blocked and received the same error messages. When I tried this it worked.
1. Choose all calendars (or a specific)
2. Press refresh if only a specific calendar
3. Press Sync
4. Go to Tools
5. Choose Preferences
6. Choose Device
7. Choose Schedule
8. Initialise syncing log

I hope it also works for you!

It looks like a reasonable approach. However, I am a little confused: where do I perform these actions? In Kies? The phone? Outlook?

I am new to Android, a reformed iPhone user. I am running Kies most recent version on Windows 8.1xxx (all updates installed). Samsung Galaxy S4 most recent firmware.

When I first installed, Outlook was syncing with no issues using Kies. I hadn't synced in about a week, now it won't sync. I did the workaround mentioned in an earlier post with exporting outlook and importing into google, but that is just a temporary patch. would like to have a working sync to Outlook.

I suspect that someone's update has put this out of whack. Windows just had a double digit update during this time, so I am hoping that Samsung/Android/Kies has something coming. Fingers crossed - this sucks.

MalkieM

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I have tried the procedure recommended by ALRUSC a number of times without any success.
It is absolutely ridiculous that using the previous firmware with Kies2 it worked perfectly. Once Samsung upgraded and we could no longer use Kies2 we have been buggered and they don't seem too enthusiastic about resolving the problem. Why did they have to break something that worked perfectly before? Meantime they are launching their new S5 and I wonder what they will be telling these customers to use for syncing their Outlook calender to their phones?

MalkieM

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Got very exited today, saw that there was a new updated version of KIES3 available for downloading. Did just that and tried all the tricks but to no avail... Outlook will still not sync with my Samsung S Planner.
New version is 3.2.14024.11.0. Samsung does not tell you what they updated or fixed but of course I thought it would be the answer to our sync problems. Sorry guys it's not! Why can't they just give back KIES2 which worked like a charm?

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

I received notification of new firmware and have installed to my S4.

However after a sync I have duplicate entries , but some new contacts on Outlook have transferred ok.

I really would have liked to have edited out these duplicates on my pc but Kies does not cater for this.

Am I correct in expecting Outlook to sync with the S Planner diary on my S4? It doesn't.

Is there another calender app it will sync with, free if poss?

erwdhw

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

I have a s4 mini, thought i was going down the right track after a blackberry, kies is a very poor back up software, wireless connection only occasionally connects and when it does it's very slow, connecting via cable is also slow to connect and then only will save to a separate file from the wireless connection. Help!!!!!

JAPRESA

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

Quote Originally Posted by ALRUSC View Post
I just finally was able to sync my S4 to my Outlook Calendar. I was being blocked and received the same error messages. When I tried this it worked.
1. Choose all calendars (or a specific)
2. Press refresh if only a specific calendar
3. Press Sync
4. Go to Tools
5. Choose Preferences
6. Choose Device
7. Choose Schedule
8. Initialise syncing log

I hope it also works for you!
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the info ALRUSC!!! Worked like a charm. I use USB connection for syncing S4 and S3. I too have been dealing with syncing issues ever since I switched from a Windows based smart phone to an Android. At first the syncing issues were minuscule but got worse with each passing year as the technology and phones became more "advanced". It has been a long and frustrating road dealing with duplicates, triplicates, deletions, omissions, and other syncing issues. Out of necessity I have learned how to work my way around the problems but not without spending outrageous amounts of time that should have never been needed.

One piece of advice for fellow Outlook users, make sure you save your contacts to your "PHONE" and not to "GMAIL", FACEBOOK", or any other location. Samsung Kies will not sync any contact info to Outlook that has not been saved to the "PHONE" category. It took me 2 months to figure this out in backing up and syncing my 1,200 contacts from my old S3. FYI, saving contacts to "PHONE" also allows secondary syncing to Verizon Backup Assistant. In total, I have spent weeks speaking with tech support from Samsung and Verizon through chatting, email, phone, and in person and ended up knowing more than most of them.

The engineers who design the hardware and software of these phones are geniuses who are more than capable of designing a fully functional and easy to use syncing platform between Outlook and Android. Make no mistake about it, Samsung has joined ranks with Google and other entities in an effort to strong-arm Outlook users into migrating their calendar, contacts, and other Outlook information with the online Google servers. The underlying reasons for doing so may lie well beyond sheer simple market positioning with Google and have to do with an even deeper marketing ploy in using our "private" uploaded data for targeted marketing and other unscrupulous purposes. There are deliberate reasons and purposes to this madness that have yet to be discovered.

I miss my Windows phone! :'(

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

OK did you update kies? If you don't update kies it's not going to support the new ota

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

annaisaway

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Wow,
Thank you so much.
This actually worked for me!

annaisaway

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Has anyone figured out a way to sync future calendar events only?
Also is there any way that I can sync contacts and not get multiple copies of them?

Much appreciated,
Anna

Lianne Bousquet

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

A lot of these posts were from 2013 and now, July 2014 the problem is still not fixed. Calling or chatting with Samsung is an absolute waste of time...
Any new ideas since I need the calender and contacts from outlook to sync.
Tried to download an outlook help, but that didn't solve the issue.

Moulin45

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site

I've suffered with Kies for several years, initially with S2 and more recently with S4.
Kies was at best extremely slow and at worst totally unusable.
When I got the S4 recently, I had to change to Kies 3 when I eventually got round to needing to sync [beginning of July], and was totally surprised: it was easy to use and quite rapid. My only complaint about it was that I could no longer manipulate the data on my phone via Kies 3, but I can live without that.
A couple of days ago, I needed to sync again and accepted an update to Kies 3. With hindsight, I should of course have known better and stuck with what worked!
The latest version [3.2.14072_12] simply doesn't work; It shows the Sync options of Calendar, Contacts and Tasks, but underneath each in red, it says "Unable to syns Outlook is not installed". It is, of course, I use Outlook 2010.
Being able to sync is vital to me, so I have spent hours trying to find a workable solution, without success. I looked for later updates but couldn't find any. [I did find on Hippo one that said it was a later version, but it wasn't.]
As I still had the original [working] download of Kies 3 [3.2.14013.45], I tried to install that [after uninstalling all other attempts], but even that doesn't work now: it shows the Sync options [with no red messages] but the 'tick' boxes are all inactive.
I don't know what build I was using before the latest update but don't think it was 3.2.14013.45; I think there was an update the first time I ran it, but am not sure.
Does anyone know of a working version between 3.2.14013.45 and 3.2.14072_12, and where I might get it?