Samsung Galaxy S5 unable to handle latest OS update?

Tracey Muu

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I made a post a few months ago regarding my phone overheating constantly. I had bought my first phone new in the beginning part of January and noticed 3 months later that the phone was having over heating issues and severe battery drain (especially after the last OS update in March). To remedy this I tried to take the update off and reformatted the phone. I did this twice, but was still having severe constant over heating, but not as much battery drain. After writing to you all on this forum, I reached the decision that my phone had to be defective. So I called Verizon and they sent me out a new phone. I kept my same battery though. I've had this phone since about late March early April. The first week I got the replacement phone, I tried to install the OS updates to see if there was a difference. There was not. The phone started overheating and the battery life was very poor. I didn't even keep the update on for a week-- I reformatted it I think in like 3 days and took the update off. I've been using the replacement phone without the updates and the battery life is fine and seems more normal than with the update. The phone does overheat, but not to the degree that it did with my previous phone or with the update installed. My question to you, is that normal? I'm tired of doing constant replacement phones. With my last 2 year contract, I went through 3 windows phones in less than 9 months into my first year of my contract... and none of those phones ever had battery or overheating issues.
My current replacement phone is getting laggy a bit. I have some apps, cache cleaners and even a cooling app for when the temp gets high. I attempted to play an MMORPG last night on the phone that I had downloaded from the app store. the phone got so damn hot I had to stop playing. I mean, the phone even issued a warning pop up telling me that the phone was so hot it was having to close apps to cool itself down. My previous phone did that several times before I finally called verizon. I was concerned about the phone being a fire hazard. Well, I uninstalled the MMORPG because I have determined that if the phone gets that hot just from playing 15 minutes of that game, it is not worth breaking another phone. I guess some phones cannot handle games like that.

I was talking to my husband tonight about the phone and how I can't have the latest update installed because it messes up the battery life and causes the phone to overheat. My husband feels that the phone should be able to handle the update regardless, and feels this is a defect and that I should call verizon again and ask for a different model of phone. In our discussion he even pointed out that his phone got the update and his is a galaxy s4 and he didn't have any issues with his phone being compatible with the update. I have a friend who also has the S5 and she got the update earlier this year as well and although she complained about her battery life decreasing, she has never had any overheating issues. I will say this, the phone does over heat, but it is not to the extent or frequency of my previous phone. :-\ What do you think?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it's an issue with the system update. You said that you kept the same battery--it's certainly possible that the battery could be defective, which could lead to overheating and poor battery life. Are you able to try a different battery?

Also, are you using the same microSD card? If there is a corrupt file on the card, that can cause the system's Media Scanner to get stuck on it, which leads to increased CPU usage, heat generation, and battery drain. Try unmounting the SD card (in Settings>Storage), removing it, and rebooting. You can insert the card into your computer and run chkdsk to look for bad sectors as well: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html

Tracey Muu

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I have to say, when I had called Verizon months ago complaing originally about the phone over heating and the battery drain, Verizon did a check on my battery and felt it was functioning normally. So instead of replacing the entire phone, they just me the phone part and told me to keep my battery and put it in the new phone, which I did. I have tried the SD card reformatting and remounting in the past and felt it made no difference

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky