Samsung Pay Didn't Work At Walmart!

ahg2003

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Does your card have a security chip?

Many Walmart stores have new reader which requires card to be inserted intead of sliding. If you slide those cards with the chip then it doesn't work.

I'm not sure if this is the reason samsung pay didn't work, just a guess.

Btw, magnetic card readers will soon will be replaced by the chip readers or NFC readers. I have already seen at target and walmart. If the chip cards will have problems with samsung pay then it would be a bummer.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Does your card have a security chip?

Many Walmart stores have new reader which requires card to be inserted intead of sliding. If you slide those cards with the chip then it doesn't work.

I'm not sure if this is the reason samsung pay didn't work, just a guess.

Btw, magnetic card readers will soon will be replaced by the chip readers or NFC readers. I have already seen at target and walmart. If the chip cards will have problems with samsung pay then it would be a bummer.

Talked to Samsung about this, SP has this built into the token it passed to the reader and should work fine with the chip readers. Don't think this is your issue.

AllPhones

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok....so I tried it again today at three stores; Walmart, ShopRite and Walgreens. It worked at all three. HURRAY!!!! I discovered that I had to be a little patient. Walmart and Shoprite both asked for the PIN so it was processed by debit. Walgreens did not ask for PIN and it was also processed by debit. I looked in my account and they were all immediately posted. Walgreens was a little different, it showed a green filled circle with a check inside to indicate that the purchase processed by S-Pay was good. I didn't get any notice from Walmart or ShopeRite, maybe because of the PIN being the indication. I prefer the green circle with the check.

focr6

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I love the comments on this forum. Funny people... Samsung Pay is AWESOME! Works almost everywhere.. And the key it's take ur time it's not instant, it takes a few seconds... I wish we could see where it actually it should be placed...

Posted via the Android Central App

Perx

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I've made a couple purchases at Wal-Mart and it worked great. Someone said to use the top side of the mag stripe and not the side and that's right on in my experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

lbccpt

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've tried using SP at a couple of different gas stations with no success. Maybe because the card reader is an insert type that completely take the card in?

schj98

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I've tried using SP at a couple of different gas stations with no success. Maybe because the card reader is an insert type that completely take the card in?

The gas pump readers aren't active until a card is inserted. You might be able to fool the reader by inserting a dummy card like an ID while holding the phone nearby it just depends on how sensitive the reader in the pump is.

iPhone 5_to_GS4

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

The gas pumps won't work. Samsung Pay is designed to complete the transaction within seconds. Gas pumps will charge preliminary transaction initially and when the consumer finishes pumping gas it will finalize the transaction with the correct amount.

If you need gas and if you don't have your wallet with you (driver's license in the car), then you can go inside the store and prepay a certain amount, ie $20, and come out and pump gas.

unalloyedcube

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Walmart was the first place I tried when I got access and it worked fine, no issues. I held the phone next to the Magnetic Stripe Reader, not where you insert the cart. After using your finger print and it start vibrating, thats when you place it next to the reader.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Samsung Pay is only rated to work on a "swipe" style machine. Any push/pull machine — ATM, metro station ticket machine, gas pump — won't work with it.

slpaige

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I plan on using nothing but Samsung Pay when purchasing crap from Walmart so it's good to see that it does work. They pissed me off with that whole CurrentC crap they are trying to pawn off as a replacement for contactless payments to avoid paying transaction fees to Visa, Mastercard, etc...

rgh718

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't using a credit card simpler than using your phone? Credit card transactions in most places is so simple - swipe, and usually no signature required. It just seems to me, that using the phone is more trouble.

I think the plan is that you can just pull out your phone tap Samsung pay and go with out the hassel of going into your wallet and using the card. I also remember reading somewhere that Samsung Pay would be using one time code technology where when you processed your transaction you would be given a one time use card number so your original card info would be secure.

sjesweak

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that my Samsung pay doesn't work at any of the Walmart stores I've been too. I've tried numerous terminals and self pay terminals as well. I even tried the gas station Murphy at the inside reader and all don't work. I have confirmed that Samsung Pay in my town works at the following locations:

Home Depot
Office Max
McDonalds
Wendy's
Burger King
Culvers
Ponderosa
Meijers

As to what a few other individuals commented on as to ease of use and security, I can say that as a software engineer I feel more comfortable using my phone with fingerprint technology since I know no one can swipe my phone and use it and pay for my transactions. If they get ahold of my credit cards without me knowing I know for a fact that less than 50% of stores actually validate the signature. And because the US doesn't require Chip and PIN but stupid Chip and Signature it gets no better.

Also, for those interested Samsung Pay actually uses 2 heads on the phone. The first try I think uses NFC and the 2nd uses the MST technology so it will work at the tap to pay readers as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milaco