Samsung Pay without Samsung Phone?

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I love how Samsung states this work and then it's "with an update" or similar. Don't state things work one way when they don't. Don't advertise something that doesn't get turned on for a year (Samsung pay s2).

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I love how Samsung states this work and then it's "with an update" or similar. Don't state things work one way when they don't. Don't advertise something that doesn't get turned on for a year (Samsung pay s2).

I agree. If it takes a couple of weeks I can live with that but state it somewhere. Don't let people buy the device with expecting day 1 operation.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree. If it takes a couple of weeks I can live with that but state it somewhere. Don't let people buy the device with expecting day 1 operation.

For their watches, Samsung has been pretty horrible bringing promised functionality to their consumers. My Gear S2 3G didn't get Samsung Pay until a friggin year after! I got it to use Samsung Pay one time on the Gear S2 before I sold it the same day.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
According to their website, Samsung Pay only works on the Note 5, Galaxy S6 - 7. These flagship models are expensive. Is Samsung Pay currently compatable with any lower end Samsung models?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
According to their website, Samsung Pay only works on the Note 5, Galaxy S6 - 7. These flagship models are expensive. Is Samsung Pay currently compatable with any lower end Samsung models?
No because it requires special hardware which only gets put in their expensive phones. At least so far anyway.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I've heard reports that the Gear S2 and Gear S3 will be compatible with iOS. If that's the case I wonder if Samsung Pay will work on an iPhone. I wouldn't think so because the iPhone doesn't have MST technology. My guess is that NFC would work.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've heard reports that the Gear S2 and Gear S3 will be compatible with iOS. If that's the case I wonder if Samsung Pay will work on an iPhone.

I'm going to be a sour Sally and say I hope it doesn't. I guess being a MS user for all these years, seeing everything that was unique to the platform, go out to other manufacturers, has me being stingy. It's no different than wanting a Ford part to work on a Chevy. You want Ford parts, buy a Ford.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm going to be a sour Sally and say I hope it doesn't. I guess being a MS user for all these years, seeing everything that was unique to the platform, go out to other manufacturers, has me being stingy. It's no different than wanting a Ford part to work on a Chevy. You want Ford parts, buy a Ford.

Come on man!!!! Don't be a sour Sally lol

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't think so because the iPhone doesn't have MST technology.
For the S3, the MST (and NFC) technology resides in the watch, not the phone. The phone just has software. That's why they can make it compatable with all Android phones. Samsung Pay works on the S3 and S2 even when the phone isn't around. It doesn't need BT, WiFi, or LTE access. Besides their watches, only their flagship phones have this technology embedded in the phones, and of course can use Samsung Pay independent of the watch. Allowing Samsung Pay to work on a S3 connected to an iPhone is only a software issue, no hardware modification is necessary.

With MST, Samsung has the opportunity to dominate the mobile pay space. I think they should put the technology in all their devices, license it to any manufacturer that wants to use it, and squash Apple and Google pay systems. Once they've got everyone hooked, then they can figure out how to monetize it.

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I work in the credit card industry and have been saying this for years. Literally since MST was created by loop pay. The obsession with manufacturer exclusivity has held back mobile payments long enough. License the tech to any and all devices and watch mobile payments take off

creekwater1482

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I received my ATT LTE Frontier last night. Really like the look and build quality of this watch so far. As for Samsung Pay, it isn't even on the watch and I went on chat with Samsung support yesterday. At this time it will only work on the S3 with a supporting Sammy phone but they are supposed to be releasing an app to Play Store that will allow for non-Sammy phones. So can't use it yet since I have a 6P.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
For the S3, the MST (and NFC) technology resides in the watch, not the phone. The phone just has software. That's why they can make it compatable with all Android phones. Samsung Pay works on the S3 and S2 even when the phone isn't around. It doesn't need BT, WiFi, or LTE access. Besides their watches, only their flagship phones have this technology embedded in the phones, and of course can use Samsung Pay independent of the watch. Allowing Samsung Pay to work on a S3 connected to an iPhone is only a software issue, no hardware modification is necessary.

With MST, Samsung has the opportunity to dominate the mobile pay space. I think they should put the technology in all their devices, license it to any manufacturer that wants to use it, and squash Apple and Google pay systems. Once they've got everyone hooked, then they can figure out how to monetize it.

How exactly would the Gear S3 work with the iPhone? If I had the Gear S3 and an iPhone could I still make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages via the watch? Would I be able to use Samsung Pay via the Gear S3 if I had the iPhone? Could I still use Numbersync? I've only had the Samsung Galaxy S7 for a few months and I really wanted this phone but after having it for a few months I've discovered that I don't really like it. I I never wish I got rid of the iPhone. The only reason why I switched to the Samsung Galaxy S7 is because I wanted to use Samsung Pay.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
So I saw @SamsungPay tweet this yesterday in response to someone's question. If they are to be believed, they are going to roll out an update for the Gear Manager / Gear app sometime today that will enable Samsung Pay in the Gear App on non-Samsung devices. Keeping the fingers crossed.

Having said that, Samsung Pay will require a screen lock on the watch. And having to key in the passcode every time I use the phone sounds kinda annoying to me. (I know it is required for security)

Attachments

• En8UJOJS.jpg
    En8UJOJS.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 32

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
From what I've seen, the screen lock on the watch is only in effect when it's not on your wrist. As long as you're wearing the watch, the lock screen password is disabled automatically. I haven't seen anything about requiring a password on your phone. Not saying it isn't a requirement, just haven't seen that detail yet.

The iPhone can be unlocked via fingerprint, correct? The same as the GS7. That being the case, the iPhone would be as secure as the GS7. I would hope we won't have enter a password every time we want to use our phone.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
From what I've seen, the screen lock on the watch is only in effect when it's not on your wrist. As long as you're wearing the watch, the lock screen password is disabled automatically. I haven't seen anything about requiring a password on your phone. Not saying it isn't a requirement, just haven't seen that detail yet.

The iPhone can be unlocked via fingerprint, correct? The same as the GS7. That being the case, the iPhone would be as secure as the GS7. I would hope we won't have enter a password every time we want to use our phone.

So I saw @SamsungPay tweet this yesterday in response to someone's question. If they are to be believed, they are going to roll out an update for the Gear Manager / Gear app sometime today that will enable Samsung Pay in the Gear App on non-Samsung devices. Keeping the fingers crossed.

Having said that, Samsung Pay will require a screen lock on the watch. And having to key in the passcode every time I use the phone sounds kinda annoying to me. (I know it is required for security)

You have to put in the security pin after you put on the watch. Afterwards, you don't have to again until you take the watch off. It works the same way as it did on the Gear S2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe