Samsung Pay without Samsung Phone?

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else been able to get the Gear app update yet? I know it's early but I've still not seen the update that the @SamsungPay account spoke of

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
You have to put in the security pin after you put on the watch. Afterwards, you don't have to again until you take the watch off. It works the same way as it did on the Gear S2.

Thank you for clarifying. Gear S3 is my first smartwatch. So I thought I had to put the PIN in every time.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
How exactly would the Gear S3 work with the iPhone? If I had the Gear S3 and an iPhone could I still make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages via the watch? Would I be able to use Samsung Pay via the Gear S3 if I had the iPhone? Could I still use Numbersync? I've only had the Samsung Galaxy S7 for a few months and I really wanted this phone but after having it for a few months I've discovered that I don't really like it. I I never wish I got rid of the iPhone. The only reason why I switched to the Samsung Galaxy S7 is because I wanted to use Samsung Pay.

The Samsung Pay update to the Gear Manager app will not enable Android phones to do Samsung Pay, it will merely activate the hardware already embedded in the S3 so that the watch can do it. I have no idea how/if it will be implemented on the iPhone, and anyone who does know isn’t saying.

Even though the S3 is the most capable smartwatch on the market, I wouldn't let it dictate what smartphone I use as my daily driver. My smartphone is officially classified as a tablet, so I am in the same boat as iPhone users, in having a device that won’t run Gear Manager, as required for the S3. Fortunately, many Android phones (including some by Samsung) are cheap enough that they can be purchased to be used for the sole purpose of being kept on hand to manage the S3. Beyond initial setup, this spare phone will be needed for updates and periodic syncing for Samsung Pay. This necessity will be eliminated when Samsung fulfills its promise to release Gear Manager for iOS. Until then, those that don’t have S3 compatilble phone have two options:

1) Operate in remote connected mode- put a SIM in the spare phone and let it act like a remote server. This will bring full functionality to the S3 but is inherently complex because there are 3 lines in operation- main phone, spare and watch.

2) Operate in standalone mode- spare phone is powered off and the S3 operates independently. The Frontier LTE is capable of handling calls and text, the tricky part is preserving caller ID. As a Google Voice user, I have no interest in NumberSync, so I’ll leave others to comment on it. In standalone mode, many functions will work, including Samsung Pay and GPS. Sensors like HR, barometer, and accelerometer. Also some apps like Uber, calendar, and weather will work fine. What will be limited are phone notifications that aren’t pushed because the phone isn’t connected to the network, and S Health analytics.

FYI, T-Mobile is running a Black Friday deal that might be of interest. You can trade-in your S7 for an iPhone.

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
No, it didn't happen. I checked throughout the day and the update never came. At this point I have to decide whether to just return it or prepare to wait a year for the capabilities Samsung promised - just like with the Gear S2

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
The Samsung Pay update to the Gear Manager app will not enable Android phones to do Samsung Pay, it will merely activate the hardware already embedded in the S3 so that the watch can do it. I have no idea how/if it will be implemented on the iPhone, and anyone who does know isn’t saying.

Even though the S3 is the most capable smartwatch on the market, I wouldn't let it dictate what smartphone I use as my daily driver. My smartphone is officially classified as a tablet, so I am in the same boat as iPhone users, in having a device that won’t run Gear Manager, as required for the S3. Fortunately, many Android phones (including some by Samsung) are cheap enough that they can be purchased to be used for the sole purpose of being kept on hand to manage the S3. Beyond initial setup, this spare phone will be needed for updates and periodic syncing for Samsung Pay. This necessity will be eliminated when Samsung fulfills its promise to release Gear Manager for iOS. Until then, those that don’t have S3 compatilble phone have two options:

1) Operate in remote connected mode- put a SIM in the spare phone and let it act like a remote server. This will bring full functionality to the S3 but is inherently complex because there are 3 lines in operation- main phone, spare and watch.

2) Operate in standalone mode- spare phone is powered off and the S3 operates independently. The Frontier LTE is capable of handling calls and text, the tricky part is preserving caller ID. As a Google Voice user, I have no interest in NumberSync, so I’ll leave others to comment on it. In standalone mode, many functions will work, including Samsung Pay and GPS. Sensors like HR, barometer, and accelerometer. Also some apps like Uber, calendar, and weather will work fine. What will be limited are phone notifications that aren’t pushed because the phone isn’t connected to the network, and S Health analytics.

FYI, T-Mobile is running a Black Friday deal that might be of interest. You can trade-in your S7 for an iPhone.

I just got the S7. I had the iPhone 6. I don't like the Android operating system and I want to switch back to the iPhone. I like iOS a lot better. Unfortunately, I'll have to pay off the phone to do that which is going to end up costing me a lot of money. You said T-Mobile is running a Black Friday deal where I can trade-in my S7 for an iPhone. Unfortunately, I can't do that because I signed up with AT&T a month ago. What factors into all of this is whether or not Samsung makes the Gear S3 compatible with the iPhone. I pre-ordered the Gear S3 Frontier and I'm hoping that the Gear S3 is or will be compatible with iOS.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I just got the S7. I had the iPhone 6. I don't like the Android operating system and I want to switch back to the iPhone. I like iOS a lot better. Unfortunately, I'll have to pay off the phone to do that which is going to end up costing me a lot of money. You said T-Mobile is running a Black Friday deal where I can trade-in my S7 for an iPhone. Unfortunately, I can't do that because I signed up with AT&T a month ago. What factors into all of this is whether or not Samsung makes the Gear S3 compatible with the iPhone. I pre-ordered the Gear S3 Frontier and I'm hoping that the Gear S3 is or will be compatible with iOS.

AT&T is pretty good with allowing a return within the 14 day window. Might have to pay for a restocking fee but that's cheaper than a paying off the phone. I would talk to them about it. If you're willing to get the new iPhone from them maybe they will let you switch.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
AT&T is pretty good with allowing a return within the 14 day window. Might have to pay for a restocking fee but that's cheaper than a paying off the phone. I would talk to them about it. If you're willing to get the new iPhone from them maybe they will let you switch.

It is past the 14 day window. I got the phone on 10/18 and didn't realize it until now how much I miss the iPhone. They're not going to let me switch back without paying the phone off. I got the S7 for free because I'm a DIRECTV customer. I probably should just wait until the iPhone 8 comes out. I hear they're going to completely redesign it. Again it all depends on whether or not Samsung makes the Gear S3 compatible with iOS.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
According to their website, Samsung Pay only works on the Note 5, Galaxy S6 - 7. These flagship models are expensive. Is Samsung Pay currently compatable with any lower end Samsung models?

grrr!! I also "believed" Samsung's website, so i wanted Samsung Pay and since "the website said US Model ONLY Supported" and not Int'l version of S6 Edge plus,so i jump thru like 20 hoops, i buy carrier version, but kept my white S6 Edge plus because i loved that phone too, and to my surprise i was able to "grab the APK from carrier version and it now works fine on BOTH versions - so you can't always assume just because its not listed, it WON'T work,cuz i called Samsung to question why my phone DID work, and was told, "it MIGHT work, but that its not "supported" or promised TO work...."

As for cheaper phones, i ALSO was able to install it on my Samsung A9,(2016) which is also "not supported"... i side loaded it there too....As longer as the "cheaper Samsung model" is equipped with a fingerprint scanner, i think your golden. I say this because i ALSO tried to install it on my fairly new A3 (2016) but that doesn't have a fingerprint scanner and it wouldn't install....

I also got the Gear S3 LTE on Sunday, and there is nothing "quite like" leaving ur phone behind and running up to the store and use watch even on NON NFC terminals...

To me, of all the gadgets and gizmos i have had the past 8 years, NOTHING is as thrilling as "this watch" with its standalone capabilities"
That's N-O-T-H-I-N-G, as in zilch, nada, zero!! : )

I was going to get the wifi version AT FIRST, but with T-mobile throwing in the service "for free" the extra 100 bucks for the LTE version was (and will continue to be : ) the best 100 bucks i ever spent : )

watch & 2 phones.jpg

(and one other thing i REALLY love is how there is zero bezel... Makes custom watch face look REALLY good : )

Face.jpg

BTC

Last edited:

arielgon

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
No matter what I do it keeps telling me to install the application on the phone through the gear app which it already is. Am I missing a step? Using a T-mobile S3 with a LG V20.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe