Samsung S4 Can't Charge - Specific Question about Charging Port

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, I need help fixing my phone. So recently, it stopped being able to charge. I did some research and I figured the issue was the charging port.

The video I followed said to make sure I get the right chip which I figured was between the GT-i9500 and the GT-i9505. I even opened up the phone and cross referenced the design with the shop, just to make sure it was the right piece.

Out of my own foolishness, I had not realized that the chip name was written on the chip.

Long story short, I bought the chip that looked identical to my previous one but my phone still didn't work.

Then I came across a video that mentioned the chip names and it's location. So I double checked. My previous one was "Rev 0.8" and the one I had bought was "Rev 0.7". The wording above is also different. My original chip had gt-i9500mda while the new one only had gt-i9500.

All the cables and bits were identical though - like the gold plates on the chips I counted them all before buying.

Did I make a mistake, and do I need to buy the Rev 0.8 instead or is the issue something else?

I hope I can get an answer here but if I can't could you point me in the right direction where I can online? Maybe a discord or another site.

Thank you.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Did I make a mistake, and do I need to buy the Rev 0.8 instead or is the issue something else?.....

Generally it's not a good idea to mix and match components nor software between different models. Each model has its own unique hard configuration, it's very rare when even the same manufacturer uses the same parts and components between models, even more rare when it involves different manufacturers. Chip identifiers vary because the chips themselves are different. Simply because they may appear similar does not necessarily mean they function the same, or have the same capabilities.
Also, ROMs are model specific because while the base Android OS is the foundation, all the added software, firmware, and drivers are only going to match each specific hardware configuration. That's why flashing Moto E5 ROM onto a Pixel won't work out, it's a complete software <?> hardware mismatch. It's also why a Galaxy S9 ROM won't work on a Galaxy S20, there's no continuity between the hardware and the software. Just because the numbers/letters are 'close enough' or similar might work some of the time, but usually not.
An Android ROM only contains the necessary software to match its corresponding device, it's not like a Windows Install disc where it contains a collection of firmware and drivers for a wide range of different hardware components (which often still requires the user to manually install drivers and such). The charging circuitry in your phone was set up to work with a specific hardware, swapping components randomly altered that relationship. You might still be able to get it working again using it as is, but be aware that charging circuitry is mostly a lower, hardware level matter, the power management functionality is done by the Android OS on a level that only 'rides' on top of that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I need help fixing my phone. So recently, it stopped being able to charge. I did some research and I figured the issue was the charging port.

The video I followed said to make sure I get the right chip which I figured was between the GT-i9500 and the GT-i9505. I even opened up the phone and cross referenced the design with the shop, just to make sure it was the right piece.

Out of my own foolishness, I had not realized that the chip name was written on the chip.

Long story short, I bought the chip that looked identical to my previous one but my phone still didn't work.

Then I came across a video that mentioned the chip names and it's location. So I double checked. My previous one was "Rev 0.8" and the one I had bought was "Rev 0.7". The wording above is also different. My original chip had gt-i9500mda while the new one only had gt-i9500.

All the cables and bits were identical though - like the gold plates on the chips I counted them all before buying.

Did I make a mistake, and do I need to buy the Rev 0.8 instead or is the issue something else?

I hope I can get an answer here but if I can't could you point me in the right direction where I can online? Maybe a discord or another site.

Thank you.
Are you using this phone as your daily?

If you are , its running very old software , hardware not going be your only issue, so is the software.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shirlysmith44