Samsung Smart Switch can't do a Device Initialization for a Galaxy S3 anymore?

Babaloogats

Oct 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I have a Galaxy S3 that's over 5 years old. The carrier is AT&T Mobile.

Today, it bricked. When it boots up, it gets stuck on the AT&T logo. The logo spins, then it stops spinning, and the phone is stuck in that state. I Googled it and it looks like others have hit the same problem.

I have Samsung's Smart Switch app on my desktop and I regularly backup my phone once a week.

I saw a Youtube video that shows you how you can do a "Device Initialization" using Smart Switch. I started up the Smart Switch app and on the Device Initialization page, I entered the Product Name (SGH-I747) and the Serial Number.

But the Smart Switch app then says:

'SGH-I747' does not support initializing.

(please see attached screenshot).

Does this mean that I cannot do a Device Initialization using Smart Switch for Galaxy S3s?

BTW, the Smart Switch version is v4.1.16084_4

Would it make any difference if I set the phone to factory settings via the Android menu?

Attachments

• Smart.Switch.Device.Initialization.JPG
    Smart.Switch.Device.Initialization.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 9

Babaloogats

Oct 28, 2020
Visit site
S3 might be too d for smart switch, have you tried kies ?
@mustang7757, two questions:

1) If I do a device initialization on my Samsung S3 with Kies, can I still Restore the data from my PC to the phone using Smart Switch? This is very important because my data is all backed up using Smart Switch.

2) (newbie question) - what is the difference between doing a device initialization (using Kies or Smart Switch) and doing a "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" via the Android Recovery menu?

Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
@mustang7757, two questions:

1) If I do a device initialization on my Samsung S3 with Kies, can I still Restore the data from my PC to the phone using Smart Switch? This is very important because my data is all backed up using Smart Switch.

2) (newbie question) - what is the difference between doing a device initialization (using Kies or Smart Switch) and doing a "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" via the Android Recovery menu?

Thanks.
When it initialize it just does a back up from your phone to the pc , it's Samsung back up tool , what Andriod version your phones on? Smart switch is a replacement to kies but works on certain Android version.

Babaloogats

Oct 28, 2020
Visit site
When it initialize it just does a back up from your phone to the pc , it's Samsung back up tool , what Andriod version your phones on? Smart switch is a replacement to kies but works on certain Android version.
@mustang7757, Kies doesn't work with the Galaxy S3 either. I tried a Device Initialization and it says the same thing as Smart Switch: 'SGH-I747' does not support initializing.

So is my last resort to do a Factory Reset using the Android Recovery menu?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
@mustang7757, Kies doesn't work with the Galaxy S3 either. I tried a Device Initialization and it says the same thing as Smart Switch: 'SGH-I747' does not support initializing.

So is my last resort to do a Factory Reset using the Android Recovery menu?
You can try factory rest , not sure if it will help though.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What do you mean? If I do a factory reset, shouldn't it be set to what the phone was when I first got it, then I can use Smart Switch to restore my data?
Yes it will reset phone like how you first got it but if your having issues connecting to smart switch or kies the factory reset might not help.

Babaloogats

Oct 28, 2020
Visit site
Yes it will reset phone like how you first got it but if your having issues connecting to smart switch or kies the factory reset might not help.

OK, I see.

I will then head over to the AT&T store now and ask them for help. It's either Factory Reset, or get another Samsung phone that works with Smart Switch.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
OK, I see.

I will then head over to the AT&T store now and ask them for help. It's either Factory Reset, or get another Samsung phone that works with Smart Switch.
Sure you can do that, att not going be much help with that type of stuff , my recommendation is get a newer Samsung phone , the s3 is running very outdated android version and app compatibility is going be issue besides smart switch.