Samsung Upgrade Program information needed.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I already pre-ordered a Note 20 ultra, but I was thinking back and I recalled selecting the upgrade program last year when I ordered my Note 10+. So I just checked the website and it says I'm not eligible for 10 days. Anyone use this program before and can describe how it works? Does it only pay off the balance I owe through my Samsung financing? Just trying to figure out if I need to cancel and reorder after 10 days or if i can get a better deal by not trading in my phone as I owe less than half the trade in value. What I don't want is to end up still paying the balance of my old phone in addition to the new one. 😳

TheGuyUpNorth

Feb 20, 2019
Visit site
I am also on the same exact cycle as you. I called Samsung, and yes I must wait 10 more days to order. The only other option to to pay off the balance in full, and then turn in the phone for the trade in. That's a losing proposition, as I still owe approximately $800. I originally thought the program would be nice since you can get a new phone each year and just turn in the old. Now I am not sure? Will we still get the preorder promotions? By next year, we won't even be able to upgrade until after the new device has shipped.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm on hold with Samsung. 2nd call, first time, the CSR accidentally hung up on me. I'll report back what they say.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I already pre-ordered a Note 20 ultra, but I was thinking back and I recalled selecting the upgrade program last year when I ordered my Note 10+. So I just checked the website and it says I'm not eligible for 10 days. Anyone use this program before and can describe how it works? Does it only pay off the balance I owe through my Samsung financing? Just trying to figure out if I need to cancel and reorder after 10 days or if i can get a better deal by not trading in my phone as I owe less than half the trade in value. What I don't want is to end up still paying the balance of my old phone in addition to the new one. ??????

Are you talking about the trade in program from Samsung?

When i went to the link Samsung Canada provided on their FB page it has the trade up the program on it. It's just that initially they didn't have the Note 10 or 10+ listed so after I bitched at them they fixed it and I was able to trade my Note 10+ in. I only got $391 for the phone tho, but its worth it for me as I still have my S8+ which is just collecting dust! lol

Thanks,

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
So I just got off the phone with Samsung. Basically, to use the upgrade program, you have to wait the 10 days. They are still giving $650 credit, but it will be applied to the balance of your financing first, then the rest will be applied to the new phone. The rep (I'm working down Mark here so can refer back to it if I need) said both the $150 preorder and $50 reservation accessory credits will still be available if I order then. Looks like I'll be cancelling my preorder and resubmitting in 10 days.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about the trade in program from Samsung?

When i went to the link Samsung Canada provided on their FB page it has the trade up the program on it. It's just that initially they didn't have the Note 10 or 10+ listed so after I bitched at them they fixed it and I was able to trade my Note 10+ in. I only got $391 for the phone tho, but its worth it for me as I still have my S8+ which is just collecting dust! lol

Thanks,

No. It's slightly different than the trade in. It more or less keeps you from having two phones on payment through Samsung's financing. Trading in the phone while on Samsung's financing will apply the credit to the purchase of the new phone and so you end up with a payment for the phone you no longer have plus the new phone's payment. It balances out in the end as the first phone should end up paid off after a year but I'd rather keep it simple and have the single steady payment.

I didn't see the option anymore so I'm thinking they replaced it with the guaranteed buy back option instead.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
No. It's slightly different than the trade in. It more or less keeps you from having two phones on payment through Samsung's financing. Trading in the phone while on Samsung's financing will apply the credit to the purchase of the new phone and so you end up with a payment for the phone you no longer have plus the new phone's payment. It balances out in the end as the first phone should end up paid off after a year but I'd rather keep it simple and have the single steady payment.

I didn't see the option anymore so I'm thinking they replaced it with the guaranteed buy back option instead.

For kicks, I cancelled my order and said I was doing so for a better price at best buy. They offered 10 percent off. Kept the purchase and I'll do some calculations tomorrow to see if I want to keep the original transaction. Lol.

TechWhore

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
For kicks, I cancelled my order and said I was doing so for a better price at best buy. They offered 10 percent off. Kept the purchase and I'll do some calculations tomorrow to see if I want to keep the original transaction. Lol.
Did you cancel through the app or over the phone?

Notefan161

Jan 9, 2019
Visit site
I am also on the same exact cycle as you. I called Samsung, and yes I must wait 10 more days to order. The only other option to to pay off the balance in full, and then turn in the phone for the trade in. That's a losing proposition, as I still owe approximately $800. I originally thought the program would be nice since you can get a new phone each year and just turn in the old. Now I am not sure? Will we still get the preorder promotions? By next year, we won't even be able to upgrade until after the new device has shipped.

Surely Samsung will honour the pre order deal? Would hope they do

I pre ordered note ultra with upgrade program (first year doing it) so I hope it will be ok next year

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Of course. The pre order deals are all the way until the day before official release which is the 20th. 10 days would be the 16th which is still within promotion period.
Surely Samsung will honour the pre order deal? Would hope they do

I pre ordered note ultra with upgrade program (first year doing it) so I hope it will be ok next year

solotristan88

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Going to see if I can turn in my lease with t mobile....and get it directly through Samsung. Seems like a better deal than paying 600 up front

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
So after reading some reviews, I started reconsidering something other than the mystic bronze. And started thinking about my storage usage. While I'm sure I can make 128 work, having 512 would allow me to worry about it less. Either way, I cancelled my order and have put in an order for the black with 512. I went to cancel the order for price again and got the 10% again, which is estimated to be almost 20 more than with the 128 model. My order excluded the 50 reservation credit after I submitted, but Samsung confirmed via chat that they will refund me after it ships. Still deciding if I should use the trade in program I signed up for last year, but the shop date on this last order isn't confirmed for launch so I don't know if I want to put in an order so late...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seth59