Sena slim case review

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I just got it. It's not broken in yet. I had the same case for another phone (I think the Blackberry Pearl, a much smaller phone). Very soft glove quality leather, same color stitching around the top. Seam on the entire inside, edges turned in. Lining is like very very fine/soft suede. Outside is textured (see 2 pix). About 3/4" of the phones sides are exposed at the top. For those who have the slim extended battery: FORGET IT, THERE'S NO WAY IT FITS. The case is tight on the phone. I now remember this, it has to stretch out in order to get it out. Brand new you have to shove it in there, and getting it out is a fight, it presses on both the power button and volume button at the same time. The broken in idea is that you push up from the bottom holding the sides below the buttons then pull it up and out. We shall see how that works with this larger phone. I took my battery out so it would stretch out for now. I think I used a leather conditioner before to help it stretch a little. So if you have to use the phone right away then forget this baby, get a snap-on plastic job. It's beautiful supple leather, and the color is quality. Having bought a handful of pricey leather cases for several smartphones my take on this is that it's like a nice leather wallet (I've got several of those too). I keep my phone in my pants pocket or sport coat pocket and don't drop it. I don't mind taking it out numerous times per day to use or answer (this one has to stretch out for that to happen). This will muffle the ringtone, so if you can't miss any calls look elsewhere. It is half for scratch prevention, and half for the whip out factor/looks. My wife thinks the red is sort of gay looking (but I have no such insecurities lol). I reminded her that she bought me a red shirt for Christmas!

Last edited:

drewC

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the review. Do you think maybe they designed this slim pouch for the GSM version which is ever so slightly slimmer? I'm not trying to troll, just thinking out loud rather. I have the GSM version and have been eyeing this case because the leather look good in pics. Also, have you tried putting the top of the phone in first? How well would that work and what are the disadvantages of doing that?
Thanks again for your effort.

acousticgtarist#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I have to disagree..I recieved my Sena UltraSlim case today and my Nexus with extended battery fit just fine. I think these cases are just like fitted baseball caps..one fits a little snug, the other a little loose, both the same fitted size however.
I do agree though about ringtones not being heard, will definitely have to find some louder notification ringers.
All in all though, it's a beautiful case..I'm happy with it

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
It seems like it would fit better if you put the phone in upside down. Might make the ringer easier to hear as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

acousticgtarist#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It seems like it would fit better if you put the phone in upside down. Might make the ringer easier to hear as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

It fit's either way. It'll have to go upside down if you're going to listen to music through headphones or charge..unless of course you want to mod the bottom of the case.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have to disagree..I recieved my Sena UltraSlim case today and my Nexus with extended battery fit just fine. I think these cases are just like fitted baseball caps..one fits a little snug, the other a little loose, both the same fitted size however.
I do agree though about ringtones not being heard, will definitely have to find some louder notification ringers.
All in all though, it's a beautiful case..I'm happy with it
I'm glad your case fits with the battery. I've had mine just a day, and it's loosening up as expected. I can slide it in without turning it on, and slide it up and out from the bottom without it turning on most times now. I think this leather is so supple that it would stretch to fit a slightly bigger profile (like the extended battery, which is just a tiny bit thicker I imagine). It's a good case for what it is, and it looks great. Seeing as how it's $35 shipped and the other usual suspects (Incipio, etc) are usually at least $20 I think it's worth it. I didn't want to mess with a screensaver, I hate the way they look.

acousticgtarist#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad your case fits with the battery. I've had mine just a day, and it's loosening up as expected. I can slide it in without turning it on, and slide it up and out from the bottom without it turning on most times now. I think this leather is so supple that it would stretch to fit a slightly bigger profile (like the extended battery, which is just a tiny bit thicker I imagine). It's a good case for what it is, and it looks great. Seeing as how it's $35 shipped and the other usual suspects (Incipio, etc) are usually at least $20 I think it's worth it. I didn't want to mess with a screensaver, I hate the way they look.

I'm not going to lie, I was scared it wouldn't fit with the extended battery. I'm actually kind of shocked it fit so nicely. If it didn't, my plan was to use the stock battery and stretch it out that way for a couple of days, then pop the extended back in and do the stretch out process again.
I purchased the Incipio case when I got the phone, but it just didn't serve the phone justice..added all that extra padding (bulk). This case keeps it safe in my pocket, and I can actually enjoy the slim build of the phone when I use it. I couldn't be happier with this case! I'm curious how the case will handle a drop, will it offer enough padding to ward off any serious damage..I hope so.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I dropped my phone a couple times using these slim leather pouches (which I've used on 4 phones over 5 years. My take is they prevent the road rash from the hit fine. I only drop it from hand height, which is unlikely to bust up the phone/screen. I mainly like them for preventing scratches from stuff in my pocket, and for the "whipout" factor lol. I won't be caught dead with a snap-on case anymore. Mine's sliding in and out pretty easily after just over 2 days, about what I expected.

acousticgtarist#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yea, mine almost seems to slip in and out a little too easy. (I know, that's what she said lol). Anyways, I wonder if it can get "too" loose, to the point where it can easily fall out..

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Yea, mine almost seems to slip in and out a little too easy. (I know, that's what she said lol). Anyways, I wonder if it can get "too" loose, to the point where it can easily fall out..
Mine's about right now, rarely turns on when I remove it and goes in pretty easy. I don't think this case will ever allow the phone to pour out on the floor if you hold it by the sides and turn it upside down. My Fortte pouch case for the Incredible would allow that easily. This case is just fine.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I just do not get the purpose of this case, it is only to protect the phone when it is in your pocket? So removing the phone and using it there is no case, so if you drop the phone its not like its going to be in this bag / sleeve anyway. Im really interested in finding a slim case that fits with the extended battery, but this leather bag just makes no sense to me.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It's for those people who don't abuse their phones, rarely drop them, or put the on the dash or pocket in the car. If it's not something you think you can use fine, however a lot of people, including myself, find them much much more reasonable to use day to day than a bulky case. Cause in the end you would truly need a otter box defender to pretty much protect you from anything that could happen to your phone. A 'slim' case is as much protection as this and probably worse to tell you the truth. I would imagine most people drop their phone while not in use, at least from my experience.

Now back on topic...and to bump this thread.

I've got my Sena in today, ordered last week, and it's probably the best sleeve I've ever used. I just couldn't bear putting a case on such a slim phone (one of the main reasons I bought it to begin with, and I have to say it's oozes quality. Nice and soft all the way around and has a great lining. It's a bit snug but after letting it sit inside of it all day it's already loosening up, I imagine in a day or so it will be A LOT better. I use the extended 2100 battery and it's working just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796