Set up as new vs Transfer Data

ytwokc5

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering how many of you intend to set up your Pixel 5 as a new phone versus transferring data from your previous phone specifically Android phones. In my case I'm coming from a Pixel 2 XL. I am leaning towards setting up the Pixel 5 as new and just signing in and downloading the apps I want to reinstall.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
For me personally, I have never ever transferred data from one phone to another or restored from a backup. I always, always setup every phone as new; whether they are new or just a factory reset. I will setup my wife's Pixel 5 new when it arrives. It does take a little longer, but less chance of issues later on.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering how many of you intend to set up your Pixel 5 as a new phone versus transferring data from your previous phone specifically Android phones. In my case I'm coming from a Pixel 2 XL. I am leaning towards setting up the Pixel 5 as new and just signing in and downloading the apps I want to reinstall.
I usually transfer to each phone when I get it. Typically I get rid of any apps I haven't used in a while on the old phone so I start with only what I actually will use on the new phone.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
I have done both ways - I think each has it advantages - copying is faster - new set up is "cleaner" - I'll be picking up a P5 tomorrow and will make the decision when I get home - a "win/win" decision. - :cool:

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I will add that I am fairly new to the Pixel family, this 4XL is my first. I might try s transfer when I get a new Pixel eventually. I have heard that it does work much better going from Pixel to Pixel. I based my previous post on 9 years as a Moto phone owner and helping dozens of people fix issues caused by transferring data from one phone to another, or restoring from backup. I would be willing to try it on a Pixel.

cyndie1030

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I always transfer and plan to at least try it on this one. I hate setting new phones or computers. It seems to take forever getting everything the way you want it. I was shocked when I went from the Pixel XL to the Pixel 2, all my stuff was there, wall papers etc. Loved that!

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I also always like to do a clean setup since all my photos and videos are backed up to google photos anyway it's easy to setup from scratch. It is a bit time consuming to get all my apps logged in and setup, but worth being bug free. I don't trust restoring from backups and risking some sort of dumb bug that will provide me with a poor experience potentially and have to reinstall anyway.