Setting the TUNE for Messages app

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought that a specific TUNE/TONE/Song/whatever could be set when a new Message arrives. I also recall finding the place where you change or set it was buried or, at least, I had trouble the last time I tried this. I am using the Google Message app.

I've looked in various settings places but can't seem to find it.

HELP! :)

PS: I did get House of the Rising Sun as my Alarm tone.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just open your Messages app, tap your profile icon, go to Messages Settings, Notifications, then Behavior, sound&more and voila! To set up a specific sound, you'll have to set it in 'Notification categories' and selecting the appropriate action or specific conversation you want to customize.

Reactions: FF22

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just open your Messages app, tap your profile icon, go to Messages Settings, Notifications, then Behavior, sound&more and voila! To set up a specific sound, you'll have to set it in 'Notification categories' and selecting the appropriate action or specific conversation you want to customize.
While I "like" it, I do not see BEHAVIOR? I may be totally missing it. As I wrote, I recall the damn setting being hidden or buried or both!

Screenshot_20230725-130555.png

Screenshot_20230725-130246.png

mark233

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Under the Messages page tap Incoming messages. Once there you should see Sound. Tapping that will take you to the onboard Sound library (that's how it is on my P7 pro).

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Under the Messages page tap Incoming messages. Once there you should see Sound. Tapping that will take you to the onboard Sound library (that's how it is on my P7 pro).
I think I stumbled on it. But I still can't follow your lead nor the other posted. I think that I had "All 'Default settings' notifications" And that closes out options? Maybe, I'm reluctant to play if it is now working. But I need a text to confirm

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you're tapping the words, and not the toggle switch. So the steps are:

1. Settings>Apps, select Messages, then Notifications
2. Tap the words "Incoming messages"
3. Make sure Silent is not selected
4. Tap "Sound" -- you can now select a tone.

Ah, so simple - "tap WORDS" and don't trigger the damn toggle!!!!! Of course, inherently obvious. See, I knew that this was buried somewhere in the stupid Settings! Remind me not to get a new phone again for a long, long time. (oh, by the way many of those Boggle games boggle the mind with noxious tunes and bit coins). I liked the nice simple Word Zigzap but messing with root and worrying about wallets and bank accounts - maybe not so much)

Yes, TRACY just sent me a series of TEST TEXTS and they are "contentment" (oh, now she won't quit - she loves driving me crazy!).

I still stubbornly stick with a bunch of the old Blackberry tunes for various notification sounds. They were unique.

THANKS VERY MUCH! (on the way to asylum for self-admittance. )

Reactions: B. Diddy

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Heeeeeeeee's baaaaaaaaaackkkkk

Okay, somewhere in messing with settings I now get a sound notification that I'm paired with my PC. I really don't need that alert/sound. Do you know which setting I set and can UNset?

Thanks for the help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ah, so simple - "tap WORDS" and don't trigger the damn toggle!!!!! Of course, inherently obvious. See, I knew that this was buried somewhere in the stupid Settings! Remind me not to get a new phone again for a long, long time. (oh, by the way many of those Boggle games boggle the mind with noxious tunes and bit coins). I liked the nice simple Word Zigzap but messing with root and worrying about wallets and bank accounts - maybe not so much)

Yes, TRACY just sent me a series of TEST TEXTS and they are "contentment" (oh, now she won't quit - she loves driving me crazy!).

I still stubbornly stick with a bunch of the old Blackberry tunes for various notification sounds. They were unique.

THANKS VERY MUCH! (on the way to asylum for self-admittance. )
Yeah, this is a common point of confusion. Google should make that menu clearer.

Reactions: FF22

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Got any idea of my question in Post 8?
When the notification shows up, long-press it and look at the notification options. There should be an option to make it silent right within the notification itself, or you can tap the option to go to the settings and modify things there (like turning that category of notifications off, if you don't care about them).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter