Shorter battery life with Kit Kat on the Nexus 4?

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I have had Kit Kat on the Nexus 4 for a couple days and battery life seems to be much worse so far. I did notice Battery Guru was not loaded since the 4.4 update so I just started it again. Maybe that will help.

Any one else having battery performance issues with Kit Kat?

4ringsa6

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Are you using the new Google Exp. Launcher?

I'm getting a solid battery life on 4.4 around 3.5-4 SOT. I also did a factory restore to have a clean start.

Posted via Android Central App

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Using the "Google Home Launcher" 4.4 OTA for about five days now. Batter life for me is fine. Not running huge amounts of apps. Definitely no power consumption analyzing apps. Try turning off and repowering your phone.

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the new Google Exp. Launcher?

I'm getting a solid battery life on 4.4 around 3.5-4 SOT. I also did a factory restore to have a clean start.

Don't know about Google Exp Launcher. Home screen looks the same. I did not do a factory restore but did clear data and cache from several Android apps like Download Manager, Media Storage, etc. That restored good battery performance after the last update.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I had a problem with battery for a couple of days because email was keeping my phone awake, check your battery stats, something might be preventing your phone from sleeping properly.

jimrebello

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
If you have an exchange account, check under the sync settings to make sure its not syncing every half second. My wife had this issue and it killed her battery fast and destroyed her data usage. Fixed it by re-adding the account and not syncing contacts on that account.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is a little better, and I avoid using any battery saver apps which use up batter (and collect datas).
3.5 to 4.5 hours screen on time depending on usage. I just make sure to not allows apps running in background and eating up the battery. And make sure your phone doesn't have wakelock.

Attachments

• kitkat.jpg
    kitkat.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 124

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
If anything my battery life is better - I'm running the GE launcher and did not do a reset after sideloading the final OTA. I think the only difference is the device does a bit better when the phone isn't doing anything, as I'm getting more out of the phone on days where I use it little, but about the same on medium or heavy use days.

chiefandrews

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My better life is better as well. I took it off the charger and left it on all night (no usage) to have it wake me up. I used it all the next day at work, however, my SOT was only like an hour. Still, though, I don't ever remember it lasting 20 hours before the update. I am pleased with how the battery seems to be working.

deano131

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
1st day with KK. My experience was sitting in church with phone set to vibrate. About a hour in I noticed my phone was extremely hot. Remove the phone from my case and it was so hot I was afraid it was going to explode so I shut the phone down. After church I started the phone back up. When I arrived at church I had a full charge but after church it only had a 14% charge. I checked the battery usage and found that the Google Play Service had used 63% of the battery. I can only think it was trying to update something. Not sure what else to check. Got home put phone back on charger. It took most of the day to recharge. This morning I refreshed the battery usage and the Google Play Service is no longer showing battery usage at all. Hopefully my 2nd day with KK goes better.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I wasn't overly impressed with ART, it speeds apps up a little and slightly improves battery life, but increased my app size by 20%, not exactly negligible. also if you screw with system mods and such quite a lot the recompile times are a nightmare.

Sir Alex

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is a little better, and I avoid using any battery saver apps which use up batter (and collect datas).
3.5 to 4.5 hours screen on time depending on usage. I just make sure to not allows apps running in background and eating up the battery. And make sure your phone doesn't have wakelock.

4.5 hours SOT is awesome. I am jealous.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I have had Kit Kat on the Nexus 4 for a couple days and battery life seems to be much worse so far. I did notice Battery Guru was not loaded since the 4.4 update so I just started it again. Maybe that will help.

Any one else having battery performance issues with Kit Kat?

Mine is actually better. With being able to set the Location Services to "Battery Saving" I have gotten slightly better battery like on KitKat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord