Should I buy a Galaxy Note 4 or 5

A

AC Question

Hi, I'm new to Android phones. I'm looking at the Note 4 or 5. I want to be able to use it as a journalist on the road. So, if I can plug in a keyboard and mouse and keep it charged, those are my main concerns. I read that the 4 doesn't have support any more. That worries me because, I'm not totally sure what that means. It looks like it will work with all the apps I currently use on my iphone. Is the 5 greatly improved over the 4? I see you can't use the USB for much and the memory card and battery are inaccessible. As a general rule I try to buy as new as I can afford. It seems like the 5 has less going for it but if the 4 is going to be archived in a museum soon that won't work in the long run either.

JimmieCD

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I have a Note 4. Had it 2 yrs, no problems. Takes great pictures, expandable memory, removeable battery. Use it as hotspot for my latop when no wireless, print documents using Google cloud print. Send more than 1000 texts/month, use Android Pay, connects by bluetooth to my car, and occasionally I use it as a phone. It just keeps going, I even have a brand new one waiting for the day this one dies. Only problem I've had was a SD memory card that had to be replaced. I'd say go with the Note 4.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Two problems (I have a Note 3, and the additional "features" in the 4 didn't pay to spend money on). The 5 doesn't have an SD card slot, so you're limited to storing internally (32GB), and the battery is non-removable, so when it goes (and all batteries eventually go), you have to pay a repair shop to replace it. Which is why I'm waiting for the next one to come out. That's problem 1.

Problem 2 is that to use a keyboard and mouse, you have to plug in an OTG cable (which you can get on eBay from China for about 99 cents shipping included). But that turns the power pins in the connector into power out pins,, to power the keyboard and mouse. So you can't charge the phone while you're using the keyboard and mouse. (And that's just the cellphone technology, there are no "back doors", "adapters" or anything else you can do to charge and use a keyboard and mouse at the same time.)

As far as using the apps you have on your iPhone, only if there are Android equivalents. iPhone apps don't run in Android phones.

As for the "museum", even the 3 still works fine, it just doesn't get updates to the Android system any more. Neither does the 4. The 5 is updateable as far as Nougat (7), then no more support. Considering both options, I'd go with the 4 also.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to Android phones. I'm looking at the Note 4 or 5. I want to be able to use it as a journalist on the road. So, if I can plug in a keyboard and mouse and keep it charged, those are my main concerns. I read that the 4 doesn't have support any more. That worries me because, I'm not totally sure what that means. It looks like it will work with all the apps I currently use on my iphone. Is the 5 greatly improved over the 4? I see you can't use the USB for much and the memory card and battery are inaccessible. As a general rule I try to buy as new as I can afford. It seems like the 5 has less going for it but if the 4 is going to be archived in a museum soon that won't work in the long run either.

I think it's the opposite w/the Note 4 having greater versatility starting with MHL support, IF capability, OTG capacity, and a battery that can be replaced in less than 20 seconds.

The stylus is stout, wooden and unbreakable. Given that software for the S pen hardly evolved between the Note 4 and 5 I choose the former.

Do a factory reset, slap in a new battery (and purchase an external charger) and you're on your way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174