Should i get a case on the 6p with nexus protect?

Azaan Hafeez

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I ordered a nexus 6p with nexus protect and cant wait to get it, but one of the if-y things about it is the durability. I really dont want to get a case but is it impossible to not have a case

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I would simply suggest getting a skin from Slickwraps or dbrand. It would add a bit of grip to you device without any noticeable bulk.

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Here's mine.

I bought a wrap from Slick wraps and it will be my first time using one. Do you feel that the wrap gives enough protection to avoid damage if dropped like a case does? Are you using a screen protector with it?

Posted via the Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I bought a wrap from Slick wraps and it will be my first time using one. Do you feel that the wrap gives enough protection to avoid damage if dropped like a case does? Are you using a screen protector with it?

It depends on how much of a drop the device takes and onto what service. In general, I wouldn't say that the wrap will protect from drops. It will however, provide grip as mentioned above and protect against light scratches from being inside pockets, purses, slid across table tops, etc.

OP, the question is best answered by yourself. If you feel that a case is needed then purchase a case. A little extra protection isn't a bad thing, especially if you don't want to use that protection plan or if you feel the phone will be with you for a year or two.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I love my 6P but the Camera/Glass area where dirt can get inside and/or scratched. I stopped using cases on my last 2 phones but this is the reason why I ordered the Spigen.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I would simply suggest getting a skin from Slickwraps or dbrand. It would add a bit of grip to you device without any noticeable bulk.
I ordered a Dbrand for my Nexus 4. My experience was it had little grip and or texture to aid in not dropping the phone.

Maybe I chose the wrong one. Are there softer, grippier skins than the mahogany Dbrand?

This phone is large, thin, and slippery, especially in cool, dry conditions. I was clearly nervous being out and about with it (walking; especially around other people that might bump into me). It is the first phone I am using with a case on it (Ringke Fusion - until my Rhino Crash Guard gets here next year).

A clear TPU case provides so much more grip (as would a bumper) without completely covering up the nice looks, and is needed IMHO if you are out and about. I am even leaving it on at home as it just makes the phone easier to handle.

YMMV

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I have the protect but wanted a case, just in case. It adds grip and even if it prevents one break from a dropped phone, it is cheaper than the $79 deductible. So the answer is yes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Android Central

anon(8938849)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
IF you drop your phone it's obviously going to be better to have a case on then not. However I don't think the durability of this phone is more worrisome than any other when it comes to drops. It did very well in the drop test against the iPhone 6s plus on YouTube. Any metal phone will scrape and dent from drops, and any glass surface will potentially break but not necessarily. I've watched lots of drop tests for all the current flagships and the nexus 6p seems on par with all of them.

anon(8938849)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I mean yes it bends and that's really very unfortunate, but it's something you have to do on purpose for it to happen. I guess there could be a scenario where it bends a tiny bit in a tight pocket if you crouch a lot. I've always been careful about that with every phone I've ever owned though. I take it out of my pocket if I'm kneeling or otherwise doing something that pulls my pants tight like that. It's just common sense. And most cases won't do anything to help against bending anyways.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Protection from scratches, sure. Protection from drops onto concrete...not so much.

I'm sure it would 'hide' the damage, but skins are simply that: skin.

A purpose built case would be more effective for protection against hard drops and such.

My skin is for those times I'm in what I call a 'Designated Case Free Zone'. Home, my office or any other low traffic/carpeted area.

When I go outside, I grab a case. Concrete, busy streets, pedestrians, children and other uncontrollable outside forces necessitate better protection.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

I have Nexus Protect.

I also went with the ultra slim KuGi case for $6.95 and I use an Intelliglass tempered glass screen cover. The case is very minimal and I mostly use it to keep from scratching or denting up the back of the phone. I do these things because I will inevitably sell the phone to get the latest/greatest and an immaculate phone sells well. The case/glass combo adds almost no bulk.

From what I understand, Google doesn't replace phones if they are just scratched or dinged. It's for a major incident or device failure. (right?)

I haven't broken a phone in the past but Nexus Protect is my worst case scenario safety net. I do wish you could cancel it after 6 months and get a pro-rated refund like Square Trade.

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
KuGi is a great case with a low profile. I have that with a glass screen protector. For other days when I'm out and about I use the Adopted Google case.

anon(8938849)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Personally I've always hated skins and cases. I even tried a skin on my 6p even though I hate them and I couldn't stand it. It just feels like a cheap sticker on your phone. Totally ruins it for me. Cases I can tolerate it I'm out and about because I take them off at home or anytime it starts to bother me. You can't take a skin on and off.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Cant Miss. There are good, cheap options for thin, clear TPU cases: Ringke, Orzly, DGtle, etc. You get much better traction and with minimal bulk and whilst maintaining the aesthetics of the handset. One other advantage of a case over a skin, the case will have a lip around the front of the screen. This keeps the screen off the surface when face down.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sherrymae34