Should i give up the xoom?

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I really don't understand why people keep saying 65,000 apps is an advantage. Honestly, how many out of those 65,000 apps are you going to install? 15? 20? 30 at most without feeling the effect on hardware?

iPad was out for a year and as I remember they didn't have HD apps at launch. Honeycomb is just starting up, give it time. When I had my iPad, I couldn't install more than 25 apps before it became an expensive paper weight. People say hardware doesn't matter, but it just simply DOES. More apps you install, better hardware you need. And if iPad2 really does have only 256mb, it's going to be a huge problem.

Reactions: Brandtmf

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I really don't understand why people keep saying 65,000 apps is an advantage. Honestly, how many out of those 65,000 apps are you going to install? 15? 20? 30 at most without feeling the effect on hardware?

Ok so if you only use 20 apps you only want 20 apps to be available in the marketplace? If that's the case why is the Android market growing? Why not stop because people surely aren't using all those apps. Just like Android users like having the OPTION of customization, others like having the OPTION of having a bunch of apps at your disposal.

Having those apps is an advantage because it makes your device better. Sure you are saying this now because there aren't a lot of apps available. But I'm pretty sure you don't developers to not make loads of apps for it. Just stop it with the hypocrisy. You guys tout having flash even though many people don't visit a lot of sites to use it BUT IT'S GOOD TO HAVE and supposedly a plus for Android. Why can't having a lot of apps be a plus for iOS? Just stop it.

Brandtmf

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Just keep the Xoom. Be an early adopter like the rest of us. Its fun, and exciting. Your going to learn the ins and outs of honeycomb before most other people. You will appriciate each and ever quality app that's released.

Sure the apple crowd will make you feel like a sucker because you dont have 65 thousand apps. And in a year i doubt we'll have that many. But who cares? Common sense says we dont need 65,000. What we need is good quality apps. And honeycomb will get them.

Also look at your Xoom, the thing is beautiful. Now go look at pictures of the ipad 2. This is my opinion, but wow its ugly. That big fat bezel? I'd rather it be a little fatter if i could get rid of that bezel.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Oy. Boy was i let down by Google TV. It just sits there collecting dust. :(

Tell me about it. I was all hyped up for it and it was a total and utter disappointment. No support whatsoever, quirky software and high price. It was horrendous. I've never been so disappointed in a tech purchase and I usually take pride in being an early adopter. Good thing I got my revue from dish for 179 and found a sucker on eBay to buy it for 250. Made a little money for my trouble.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm holding onto my Sony unit with hopes of an update but I'm slowly loosing hope. My wife still rubs that purchase in my face. :p

Brandtmf

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Well this is a bit of a different situation. But i understand what your saying. Tablets are in, Xoom wont die. Set-top boxes on the other hand arn't quite the in thing right now ;-)

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm holding onto my Sony unit with hopes of an update but I'm slowly loosing hope. My wife still rubs that purchase in my face. :p

LOL. I hear that. I just got me a internet connectible blu ray home theater system with HDMI in and out and I'm good to go. Got netflix, pandora, vudu, MLB, youtube and a couple other things on it. Just having a big keyboard to control the TV or the expensive mini controller from logitech that didn't have harmony support was just dumb. I will check back with it in a year or so (if it still exists) but it just seems like they don't even care about it anymore.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Well this is a bit of a different situation. But i understand what your saying. Tablets are in, Xoom wont die. Set-top boxes on the other hand arn't quite the in thing right now ;-)

Yeah I know and agree. I was just fooling around because the other poster stated like being an early adopter is a wonderful and great experience. It isn't always even with a Google based product.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
These standalone Google TV units. Maybe saying "go away" isn't completely accurate but an overhaul...definitely

What's worst are those people that paid those inflated prices for the Sony TVs with built in GTV. That was a few extra hundred bucks for a product that can't get rid of unless you get rid of the entire tv.

And remember how we talked about marketing Android products....

I remember seeing 2 commercials. The Sony one where everyone is looking at the big TV which is a nice one but still not enough for a 400 dollar box or expensive TV. And the 1 logitech revue one with Kevin Bacon. Come on man.

Brandtmf

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it definitely needs a overhaul.

Have you been following the last couple posts? Don't answer that, it's pretty obvious.

Google TV.

Yes I have ;-) I wasnt sure if he was referring to Xoom, honeycomb, Google TV.. I didn't know, so i *gasp* asked.

Dumb move on my part i suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod