Should I go with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2?

Gunner2000

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi All!
Well here it goes I'm going back to school for Mobile App Development and am looking for a good phone to get. I am getting a nice tax return and instead of paying the school to get the equipment I need who is charging me almost 3 times what the equipment costs I am going out and buying my own equipment. So I have my Motorola Droid Razr M which I rooted and I'm going to be buying a new phone to replace the Razr M as my everyday phone and use the Razr M to use as my test subject for my developing and testing. My thing is should I go with the Note 2 or should I go with the Galaxy S3? My big thing that I'm looking for is an on-screen keyboard that I'm not going to be pressing 2 or 3 keys at once. I really like the size of the Note 2 and the stylus. What's everybody's opinion of the Note 2? What accessories would you recommend?
Gunner

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I just switched to the note from the gs3 and can tell you the keyboard is basically the same size. I do like the samsung keyboard on the note a lot better then the s3 but it does not have spell check, I have no idea why they would leave that out. The samsung note keyboard has the numbers above it and that is really nice

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
you're asking people in a note 2 forum if you should get the note 2... U do realize no one here is gonna talk you out of getting it?

mcnabb100

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi All!
Well here it goes I'm going back to school for Mobile App Development and am looking for a good phone to get. I am getting a nice tax return and instead of paying the school to get the equipment I need who is charging me almost 3 times what the equipment costs I am going out and buying my own equipment. So I have my Motorola Droid Razr M which I rooted and I'm going to be buying a new phone to replace the Razr M as my everyday phone and use the Razr M to use as my test subject for my developing and testing. My thing is should I go with the Note 2 or should I go with the Galaxy S3? My big thing that I'm looking for is an on-screen keyboard that I'm not going to be pressing 2 or 3 keys at once. I really like the size of the Note 2 and the stylus. What's everybody's opinion of the Note 2? What accessories would you recommend?
Gunner
As long as the size doesn't bother you go for it! It's a great phone, it's really powerful AND the battery lasts a long time. I would suggest you buy a case and and maybe a memory card and just use it for a while before you buy any other accessories, to see if you would have any use for them.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
For accessories I'd recommend an OTG Cable. You can pick one up from Amazon.com fairly cheap. It will allow you to read and transfer files to and from a USB jump drive. You can also use a Bluetooth keyboard with your Note 2 for times you don't feel like using the onscreen keyboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
It may seem like overkill as the Note 2 gets very good battery life, but I'd highly recommend the Samsung spare battery charger (link below). No need to ever worry about tethering to a charge, instead just swap and go! It's also easily portable and makes a good stand (portrait or landscape). If you sign up for a Samsung account, it's 50% off. :)

Samsung Spare Battery Charger (3100mAh battery included)
Galaxy Note

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi All!
Gunner

First question. Where are you going to school for mobile app development? I have been looking for a degree that will tie in nicely with my career in the wireless industry. Already almost finished with a networking degree, but it would be nice to find something more aimed and not so broad. PM me with the school info if you could. Unless it is Full Sail University, not touching that school. Thanks.

On to the Note 2. I love mine. Dropped my S3 for it. Don't regret it at all. Just rooted it (mostly so I can utilize Google Wallet and get rid of bloatware), just running a stock rom atm. Runs great, reception is great sPen is super awesome and multiview, which doesn't have a whole lot of support atm (I know there are ways around that), has so many possibilities. Plus quad core with a big screen. Don't regret dropping my S3 at all.

Last edited:

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
It may seem like overkill as the Note 2 gets very good battery life, but I'd highly recommend the Samsung spare battery charger (link below). No need to ever worry about tethering to a charge, instead just swap and go! It's also easily portable and makes a good stand (portrait or landscape). If you sign up for a Samsung account, it's 50% off. :)

Samsung Spare Battery Charger (3100mAh battery included)
Galaxy Note

I purchased one and it came in about a week ago. Very useful.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Right now the N2 is the one to beat. Every few months there will be a new latest and greatest. How much time have you got?

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
It's the best smartphone out there. Have very high expectations for tech, watched every video I could on it and still do, and this exceeded those expectations and still does. It's an AMAZING device. I think the size thing may be the only thing to get used to, but once you have it for a day to a few weeks and get used to it and then try to go to any other device, they will seem like a little toy and you will wonder how you could have possibly used them at all.

Few amazing things about it: the screen size which allows you to view things even from an arms length easily, the quality of the screen (though the ppi would have been a downer, but it's not at all), the software features are amazing and very well thought out, as well as the multi view aspects of the phone. You could have say Facebook on the top, eBay on the bottom like two different resizable browser windows on a desktop then run the pop up video player in order to watch a video while doing both (if you mod the apk installer to work with multiview). The sPen is incredible for drawing, painting, hand writing, navigation and command input. It also allows you to view certain things on a screen you wouldn't have been able to by using the hover feature over drop down boxes that drop down to mimic putting your mouse/track pad cursor over the drop down box so the options under it expand out. The battery is also very good. You can easily create a screenshot by holding down the button and pressing down on the screen, then annotate it, cut out things from it etc. It's very easy to get creative with the device even if you're not an artist or creatively inclined. No real need to buy christmas or birthday cards anymore if you want to make your own using it. The cameras and their features are very nice! So cool to be able to do a Skype call on it via the screen size.

Recommended accessories: the Samsung or Sandisk 64gb Micro SD Card (or higher if you want to mod it), an extended battery from Hyperion or Anker (I have the former) if you want to be able to use it for a couple of days without a charge, a screen protector like the Voyager 2 (reinforced glass) or Just Like Glass, cases like the Otterbox Defender or Commuter, Seidios, or others like Ditztronics or cheaper ones on eBay and Amazon. I'd also recommend different colored battery covers you can get on eBay and Amazon as well. More could be said but I'll leave it at that. But yea if you have a chance to get this smartphone JUMP on it asap! Just check out the reviews and feedback it has, they're typically very good.

ciniob

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I want to go to development school too! What school are you taking classes in? I tried to learn Android on my own. I even installed Eclipse and Android SDK.

The Nexus is the best choice unless you can afford a developer edition.

The problem with Verizon Motorola's is their locked bootloaders. The S3 has an APK that will unlock it and the Note 2 is unlockable but it's a very involved process but it can be done.

The flip case is a pain because it get's in the way of the camera. And, in that the home button is slightly raised, you end up turning it on by smashing the flip cover case into the raised home button.

You can lead various keyboards on the devices that work far better then OEM keyboards.

See the pick... That keyboard has a far better buzz when you top the letters.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359516243663.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359516243663.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 38

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d