Simple Mobile (T-Mobile) service lock when you renew

miamicuse

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I have been using Simple Mobile (who uses T-Mobile) for a few years. I have several family members on the same plan.

A few days ago I logged on to do a service extension because my current plan is scheduled to expire today, I processed the service extension for another 30 days.

Today is the renewal date. I have no service - cannot send/receive calls or text.

When I tried to make a call to anyone I get the "Oh no it seems that you have run out of minutes...

When I tried to text anyone I get a message saying "Unable to send message, message blocking is active"...

I am on a Pixel 3a Android version 9. So it seems like an issue at an account level.

I called Simple Mobile, and they verified my account is active and paid for.

Went through a bunch of basic checks, and they do not know what's happening. They escalated it to a higher level of tech support. After talking to their technical support, they told me this:

(1) My service is frozen because my phone is not compatible with the new 5G network they have now up and running. I need to change my phone TODAY.

(2) Then why is my son who also has a Pixel 3a and on Simple Mobile his phone is working? They said this is because the service does not freeze until renewal time, what they did was they blocked the service activation on that day. So if it's another two weeks before that account renews, that phone will not work on that day. My only option now is to buy a new phone from them at a 25% off discount. I refused.

(3) They told me many users are having similar issues, yet when I searched online I saw no mention of this by other consumers.

(4) I was furious, I said if this is a know problem, why didn't I get a warning? If you knew that my service activation will be blocked on renewal date, why wasn't I informed prior to avoid this unpleasant surprise? They said they could not have done anything because they are using T-Mobile's network. Later on I called T-Mobile and they told me their new 5G network does NOT prevent 4G phones to continue to work. This means it's something on Simple Mobile's side.

(5) Despite the fact that I cannot make or receive calls or texts to anyone, I can call 611 or text 611611 to Simple Mobile to talk to them on this phone. So this is really not a technical issue with the phone or their network, this is a restriction Simple Mobile has placed on their users, by choice, for what reasons I don't know.

I think my only option now is to change carrier. I am trying to figure out what are the chances this is something that is resolvable and that I am not just talking to some incompetent tech support and getting BS answers.

Anyone heard of this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That sounds totally ridiculous.:mad: Were you able to escalate to a higher customer support level?

Since you have a Pixel, you should consider signing up for Google Fi, which should be much less of a hassle (and possibly more cost effective).

tlc264

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
Visit site
That sounds totally ridiculous.:mad: Were you able to escalate to a higher customer support level?

Since you have a Pixel, you should consider signing up for Google Fi, which should be much less of a hassle (and possibly more cost effective).
Thay also use tmobile towers .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have been using Simple Mobile (who uses T-Mobile) for a few years. I have several family members on the same plan.

A few days ago I logged on to do a service extension because my current plan is scheduled to expire today, I processed the service extension for another 30 days.

Today is the renewal date. I have no service - cannot send/receive calls or text.

When I tried to make a call to anyone I get the "Oh no it seems that you have run out of minutes...

When I tried to text anyone I get a message saying "Unable to send message, message blocking is active"...

I am on a Pixel 3a Android version 9. So it seems like an issue at an account level.

Went through a bunch of basic checks, and they do not know what's happening. They escalated it to a higher level of tech support. After talking to their technical support, they told me this:

(1) My service is frozen because my phone is not compatible with the new 5G network they have now up and running. I need to change my phone TODAY.

(2) Then why is my son who also has a Pixel 3a and on Simple Mobile his phone is working? They said this is because the service does not freeze until renewal time, what they did was they blocked the service activation on that day. So if it's another two weeks before that account renews, that phone will not work on that day. My only option now is to buy a new phone from them at a 25% off discount. I refused.

(3) They told me many users are having similar issues, yet when I searched online I saw no mention of this by other consumers.

(4) I was furious, I said if this is a know problem, why didn't I get a warning? If you knew that my service activation will be blocked on renewal date, why wasn't I informed prior to avoid this unpleasant surprise? They said they could not have done anything because they are using T-Mobile's network. Later on I called T-Mobile and they told me their new 5G network does NOT prevent 4G phones to continue to work. This means it's something on Simple Mobile's side.

(5) Despite the fact that I cannot make or receive calls or texts to anyone, I can call 611 or text 611611 to Simple Mobile to talk to them on this phone. So this is really not a technical issue with the phone or their network, this is a restriction Simple Mobile has placed on their users, by choice, for what reasons I don't know.

I think my only option now is to change carrier. I am trying to figure out what are the chances this is something that is resolvable and that I am not just talking to some incompetent tech support and getting BS answers.

Anyone heard of this?
If I was in this situation I switch to different carrier.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

Anyone heard of this?

Pretty sure this is a Simple Mobile issue. Tested out their service recently and giving me a strong push to purchase new phone when all I wanted to do was BYOD setup.

T-Mobile actually has been offering 2 better and cheaper plans. One is $15/month and the other is $25/month and even though prepaid, the carrier account is prioritized over MVNO account.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Straight Talk from Walmart is pretty good. They run on all four carriers (im currently on Verizon) and are priced reasonable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174