SMS Backup + stopped working.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I have two apps that I use to backup my SMS messages.

One is SMS Backup +.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync&hl=en_US&gl=US

I've been using it since January 2016.

2 days ago, it stopped backing up.

If I view the logs, it says authentication failed.

I have tried re-entering my password for my email within the app, but it didn't help.

I haven't changed my password for my email in a few months anyways.

I am connecting to an AOL account.

This site says the IMAP server is export.imap.aol.com:

https://www.realmailfix.com/blog/configure-aol-email-settings-using-imap-smtp-server/

This site says the IMAP server is imap.aol.com:

https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i-use-other-email-applications-to-send-and-receive-my-aol-mail

I have been using export.imap.aol.com for several years.

I did try the other one, imap.aol.com, but I get the same authentication error.

Any ideas?

I am using one more app to backup my SMS messages, SMS Backup And Restore:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en_US&gl=US

This one backups them up to my Google Drive.

But I like having both apps, as a safeguard.

There was one time 1 - 2 years ago where SMS Backup + also stopped working, for several days. It eventually started working on its own again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the best approach would be to contact the developer of those apps and see if they're aware of any problems. It could be related to how old your phone is.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
AOL has been requiring people to use a login screen from them to login. So you need to use an email app that gives the pop up authentication window. That could be the issue.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I think the best approach would be to contact the developer of those apps and see if they're aware of any problems. It could be related to how old your phone is.

I never get a response.

I did find an email address a few years ago for the developer, but didn't get a response then either.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
AOL has been requiring people to use a login screen from them to login. So you need to use an email app that gives the pop up authentication window. That could be the issue.

Can you explain this more? This is something that had been working for years, until a few weeks ago.

If I log in through my web browser, then go back to this SMS Backup+ app, will it work?

Also, possibly related, I tried configuring the Email Android app that was pre-installed, for this email address.

I tried entering the IMAP server and such, and I get an authentication error, similar to what I'm getting through SMS Backup+.

When I check my email on my phone, I've always just gone through the web browser, I found that easier than installing a 3rd party app.

But, I wanted to try the Email app, to see if I could configure the IMAP server in a different app than SMS Backup +.

I've checked the password a bunch of times, and can manually type it if I go through the web browser on my phone.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
SMS backup and restore just backs up the sms already on your phone. It has nothing to do with aol logging in. The app doesn’t backup emails. So no that would not help.

As for your email, it may not add your email address unless it has the o.auth built in. Stock email should automatically bring up a web box to login to your aol email. It will not work by inputting the imap and smtp settings into the app. If it doesn’t bring up the web box when you type in your email address and click next in the setup then it is not compatible.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
SMS backup and restore just backs up the sms already on your phone. It has nothing to do with aol logging in. The app doesn’t backup emails. So no that would not help.

As for your email, it may not add your email address unless it has the o.auth built in. Stock email should automatically bring up a web box to login to your aol email. It will not work by inputting the imap and smtp settings into the app. If it doesn’t bring up the web box when you type in your email address and click next in the setup then it is not compatible.

Yes, it only backs up SMS on my phone.

I had configured the imap server, and been using this app to back up my SMS messages since January 2016.

It would create a folder with my SMS messages in my email account. The folder in my email account was called "SMS".

It just seems to have stopped working in early May, right after May 09.

All I did before was input the IMAP server, port, my email address, and password, and it worked.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
AOL changed their login with 3rd party apps earlier this year. To the o.auth method with the web box. Inputting IMAP and SMTP settings no longer work.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
AOL changed their login with 3rd party apps earlier this year. To the o.auth method with the web box. Inputting IMAP and SMTP settings no longer work.

Ok, thanks. So it seems that this SMS Backup+ app won't work, unless the developer adds more integration support.

That's what you're saying, correct?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz