so do N4s which have the earpiece buzz also have the rattle?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Two N4's here (my own and my wife's) and neither have buzz or rattle. At least, nothing so obvious as to be readily apparent; my wife can be a stickler about such things, so if it were there she would have told me about it by now.

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there are, but it doesn't make it an issue. You might say it's there by design....

So you're saying that the rattle is actually a semi-exclusive feature, which Google designers and engineers made sure was only in a minority of handsets for.... for.... I'm struggling trying to follow your ridiculous logic chain here, so you're going to have to help me out with why on Earth you think Google would have reason to have done this?

Look, I'm a big Google fan too but there is no reason not to call Google out on the fact that some of the handsets have a rattle and that, all things being equal, it's reasonable for a customer to want the version sans rattle. I'm such a customer, and while the rattle isn't that big a deal, if I want to resell the N4 later it could help if mine doesn't have a rattle.

In conclusion (and then I'm done posting on this topic), people don't like it when their expensive little precious devices rattle, even if its a tiny rattle and especially when said rattle is a minority problem that doesn't afflict most devices.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

kobastal

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine has had a rattle since I got it. It has gotten worse to the point where I have turned off haptic feedback (rattles with every keystroke) and can hear it when I am speaking with someone on the phone. To me, it seems to be coming from the headphone port. During a phone call with a particularly loud talker, I covered the port with a finger and it toned down the rattle. If i lightly tap on that part of the back it rattles. I feel like something is loose in there, it is getting worse, and that is a bad sign. If I had paid $600 for this I would be outraged. As it is, I am just worried it will eventually develop into even more a functional problem than just not being able to use haptic feedback. I will try to get a new one.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
sorry, i have a 4s... also have a 2g, 3gs, 4 and 5... and non of them make a noise and tried hard.

Maybe they do and I dont hear it?

I hope that means i am not as anal about it as those reporting and that i wont notice it either on my Nexus 4. fingers crossed.

And here we go again. IT IS NOT A DEFECT!!! Just because it is recognised by some in the community doesn't make it a defect. Read above. It's the auto focus. If someone at google or lg says it's a defect, they have no idea what they are talking about. You guys are wasting perfectly good products!!!

By the way, iPhone 4, 4s and 5 have the same rattle. ALL OF THEM have it. So will the Nexus 4s.

Clone9

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The rattle is the auto-focus. It's normal and is not an issue. Here is how it can be proved that the rattle is in fact the auto-focus. Turn the camera on and start tapping the top of the phone. You will hear the rattle. Now focus on something really close and keep tapping. The rattle will go away.

My rattle does not go away when I did this exactly as you describe.

FWIW, mine has the rattle and buzz....and I was wondering the exact same thing.

palitsyn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
sorry, i have a 4s... also have a 2g, 3gs, 4 and 5... and non of them make a noise and tried hard.

Maybe they do and I dont hear it?

I hope that means i am not as anal about it as those reporting and that i wont notice it either on my Nexus 4. fingers crossed.

Congratulations!!! Sounds like you are not going to have the rattle "issue" in your N4 :)

fam617

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
So did the replacement phone have the issue?

As i mentioned in an earlier thread, a) Google says this is a known issue covered under warranty and b) Google had set aside a separate stock of N4s for warranty issues.

Given the backlog, whether or not Google should do that is debatable I suppose, but I was happy to get my replacement in two days so this is probably smart customer service on their part.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
to the people with the 'rattle': how bad is it? does it make noise when you shake it vigorously or just with gentle movement like say rotating from portrait to landscape?

Clone9

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
to the people with the 'rattle': how bad is it? does it make noise when you shake it vigorously or just with gentle movement like say rotating from portrait to landscape?

Both, really. Obviously the noise is louder when shaken vigorously, but even subtle movements cause a very audible rattle. However, changing from portrait to landscape doesn't really do it.....it is more when the phone moves front-to-back rather than side-to-side. For example, one situation when it is quite loud is setting the phone down on a table. Even a very slight drop (<1 cm) induces an audible rattle from the phone.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Both, really. Obviously the noise is louder when shaken vigorously, but even subtle movements cause a very audible rattle. However, changing from portrait to landscape doesn't really do it.....it is more when the phone moves front-to-back rather than side-to-side. For example, one situation when it is quite loud is setting the phone down on a table. Even a very slight drop (<1 cm) induces an audible rattle from the phone.

geez.. i could see how that could be annoying. i did the 'camera rattle test' on my galaxy s and i don't hear any rattle or noise whatsoever while tapping

1iam5mith

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Mine rattles and buzzes, though I am getting a replacement tomorrow, just hoping my new one doesn't have the buzzing, I can deal with the rattle (just camera) but just cant make/receive calls with that damn rattle lol

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Could the rattle be the mechanism which vibrates the phone???
Here is interesting, loose battery.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/09/what-is-the-weird-rattling-noise-in-these-iphone-5-units/

No44specialk

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
My phone too has the rattle. Additionally I believe it has gotten worse or maybe I'm just paying more attention to it. Any time I set the device down (face up) the device sounds like a cheap piece of plastic. I discovered that if the phone is face down and you try to tap the phone to replicate the rattle... the rattle is gone. Rattle or no rattle, I just want a device that I can have faith in that it won't develop bigger issues down the road as a result.
The main issue for me, which I believe is directly related to the rattle is the fact that once the ear piece volume is raised past a certain point, the volume causes the rattle to rattle during a call- distorting what you hear. That very fact tells me that the rattle is a defect... or let me say MY "rattle" is a defect. I initiated an RMA on Monday, haven't seen any updates since. Typical. This launch has been a complete and utter failure on all levels from a customer service standpoint and is extremely disappointing.

fam617

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting...I initiated my RMA Tuesday night for the SAME issue you have and received a new device this morning. Will open and test when I get home.

Any ideas how I can test the ear piece without fully installing the SIM card?

My phone too has the rattle. Additionally I believe it has gotten worse or maybe I'm just paying more attention to it. Any time I set the device down (face up) the device sounds like a cheap piece of plastic. I discovered that if the phone is face down and you try to tap the phone to replicate the rattle... the rattle is gone. Rattle or no rattle, I just want a device that I can have faith in that it won't develop bigger issues down the road as a result.
The main issue for me, which I believe is directly related to the rattle is the fact that once the ear piece volume is raised past a certain point, the volume causes the rattle to rattle during a call- distorting what you hear. That very fact tells me that the rattle is a defect... or let me say MY "rattle" is a defect. I initiated an RMA on Monday, haven't seen any updates since. Typical. This launch has been a complete and utter failure on all levels from a customer service standpoint and is extremely disappointing.

fam617

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Got my replacement phone today and the buzzing is GONE!!!! It was a defective device indeed. Although, the display on the new device is more yellowish and blacks more black. Don't care, Ill take it as long as the buzzing/vibration is gone!!!!!

Also, the rattle still is present - even more so now than my previous phone.

Cigoler

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I didn't notice the rattle until a couple days of use. It's nothing major that I can tell but it wasn't there in the beginning because I explicitly tested for it. I remember all the stuff with Asus nexus 7 and I ended up suffering the same screen lift after a couple days usage there but the device is still going strong and once you accept it you don't really notice. Buy I know other people are more sensitive... I just don't like risking exchanging for something worse which does happen.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I just checked my iPhone. It has the SAME rattle as my Nexus 4. Both coming from the camera... Seems like this is a common occurrence. *shrugs*

Sent from my Nexus 4

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I can hear a very quiet noise when I turn the phone from front to back but only in quiet environments and if I'm really paying attention. Most of the time I can't even hear it. definitely not an issue for me. No earpiece distortion, however.

edit: I seem to hear a very slight 'crackling' sound from the earpiece even when not making calls. . should I ask for a replacement or do all of them have this?
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332